XPS Desktops

Last reply by 07-21-2021 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

XPS 8940, Better 3rd party cooler

Hello there

I would greatly appreciate any help to find a new/better 3rd party cooler for my XPS 8940. It came with the thin and small stock cooler and is overheating the whole time. I got a i9-10900 processor with 128 GB of RAM and I need this computer to generate some GIS layers. These jobs take 2-4 hrs every time and I can see that the processor is throttling or C° 97+ all the time.

I tried the Noctua 15S but the problem is there is no space for the bracket under the motherboard. The stock fan screws directly into the chassis from above.

Thank you very much

Replies (929)

@BatyAndCo 

No, you do not have to remove the motherboard.  Only the current CPU cooler and follow the instructions in this post on installing the new cooler.

Just got system w/ i7 10700 w/ 3060 ti with small pancake cooler too - was hitting 100 celcius with cinebench

read through most of this forum - apparently max clearance was reported around 152mm - 

got vetroo v5 cooler 148mm height - on sale on amazon - $25 only - 120mm fan - seems quality built

comes w proper brackets for intel socket, thermal paste, install was cinch without any mods just plug/play 

clearance was just a few mm - fit perfectly 

now on cinebench it peaks 80 while stabilizing at 65 for most of test

while i was at it - moved HDD cage to upper position and removed front one -

haven't changed rear case fan yet - has anyone observed measurable diff with moving rear fan to front and replacing rear with a noctua? if so how much?

where can I get one of these? I would like to do this to mine

Did you need to remove the motherboard and use their backplate?

Tarak, thank you for this. 

You broke it down in the simplest manner and made it quite a bit easier to understand. Thanks for all of it!

I hope it is not too challenging, as I am a beginner. Hopefully will be easier with all the fans and stuff in front of me. 

@EhsanHaque24 

You're most welcome.  I am really glad that my post was of help to you.

@Tarak Abu Adam 

hey bro, hope you can help a bit more.

So far (what I've done):

-moved HDD to top, made space in the front by removing that whole HDD enclosure

-Swapped out rear 80mm stock exhaust fan and replaced it with Noctua NF-A9 92mm AND connected it to "FAN SYS" where the stock one was connected

-Swapped the stock trash cpu cooler for the NH-D9L. Orientated it so air going to back of case (towards exhaust) and connected it to "FAN CPU" where original stock CPU cooler was installed.

Can you explain a bit more about the NA-FC1 and how you used it? I bought it but am not sure what exactly to do with it. I am still very basic so if you could explain it to me like I am a kid (haha), that would be much appreciated. 

**Now this is extra info about what I was thinking of doing (please just tell me if I am right or wrong). From this thread, I learned that BIOS will throw out errors fans are not directly connected to "FAN SYS" and "FAN CPU" on the mobo. I was thinking of adding an intake fan in the front (in addition to all I have done so far). But since there is nowhere on mobo to connect directly (unless you use the Y cable/splitter), I looked into the NA-FC1 per your recommendation. Now I was worried that connecting two fans to the Y splitter cable and connecting that cable to the mobo would cause problems as it is drawing more power (idk if that is the word). So I was planning on using the NA-FC1 and connect that to a SATA power cable so I can max out the RPM of at least two fans (probably like front intake AND the fan thats with the NH-D9L CPU cooler/heat sink.

Many thanks to you my brother. Please let me know. 

@EhsanHaque24 

SA Akhi

Your plan for the NA-FC1 is correct and absolutely better than using the y-splitter.  The amount of power via the header is constant and determined by the BIOS.  It is not meant to power more than one fan.  You will most likely under power the fans if you were to use the y-splitter.

Everything else you stated is also correct.  It seems that you have a good handle on everything.  If you are looming for my recommendation then I would say to install the NA-FC1 and use it to control the front fan and the CPU fan, or fans if you have two on the CPU cooler for push/pull airflow.

I do have the Noctua NA-FC1 in my PC.  Essentially, I wanted to accomplish two things with the NA-FC1.

1 - Add more fans to the CPU cooler to achieve push/pull airflow.  Darren_F has a good picture of this configuration on page 8 of this thread,

and

2 - Take advantage of constant higher rpm (No-stop mode) of the Noctua fans via the dial controller on the NA-FC1.  The NA-FC1 will allow you to override your motherboard’s fan speed threshold that are determined by temperature and set by your BIOS.  So, for example, if your CPU is running cool then theoretically you are below the temperature threshold and therefore the BIOS would tell your motherboard to decrease fan speed to CPU Fan.  However, CPU fans such as the Noctua 92 mm do not take that much power, hardly any to be honest, so any heat they may produce while running at higher rpm is completely negligible, and so minute as to not have any impact on any of the temperature thresholds in your PC case.  My point is that there is not any drawback to running the fans constantly at higher rpm via the NA-FC1 No-stop Mode.

The YouTube video below has a great explanation and demonstration of the NA-FC1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZuxvv7G4fw

I actually installed two NA-FC1 Fan Control units inside my 8940.  One is controlling the two fans attached to my Noctua CPU cooler and connected to CPU FAN header, and the second NA-FC1 is controlling the rear fan (also changed to Noctua) and connected to the SYS FAN header.  I am operating both NA-FC1 in No-stop Mode, so all fans are always constantly running at full rpm capacity regardless of the temperature in my PC.  There is an extremely low humming from the fans, but I am being very honest when I say that I can only hear it when I get close by putting my ear to the front of the case.  Again, it is not noticeable and certainly not annoying or disturbing, at least to me it is not noticeable while I am using my PC.  My PC is below my desk on a rolling stand about five feet from my head.  I imagine that you might notice it if you had the PC on top of your desk and directly in front of you next to your monitor.

When mounting the fans ensure to follow the arrow direction that is clearly marked on one of the Noctua fan sides.  All arrows should point in the direction of the desired airflow.  In our situation with the 8940 case that direction would be internally from the front of the case to the rear of the case.  In other words, all the arrows should point towards the rear of the case.

The NA-FC1 Fan Control units should be powered by one of you SATA power cables inside your PC to have sufficient power to run multiple fans (up to three per NA-FC1).  I had to purchase a SATA Power Splitter cable to connect each of the two NA-FC1 Fan Control units to one of the SATA power connections available within my PC.  Here is the splitter that I purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V6QA65G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know that this might seem like overkill to many, while others might be intrigued by it.  Nonetheless, I hope that this can help you and those that might be interested in this endeavor.

Below are my temps with both NA-FC1 set to No-stop Mode for all three fans.

40 c – While Idle (Almost nothing is open other then CPUID HW Monitor for reading temp that I manually started, and some background processes at start-up such as Norton, etc.)
42 to 66 c – While Web Browsing (10 – 20 tabs), MS Office programs (Outlook, Word, Power Point, etc, to include Visio), several other programs open such MS Teams, etc.

51 to 80 c - While gaming

Regarding moving the front HDD cage.  I have two 10TB HDD in my PC, so therefore I needed both HDD cages.  With that said I do not have the space to place a fan in the front on the inside of my case for even more airflow.

Lastly, here are my specs

• i9 10900
  • Crucial Ballistix 128GB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM (4x32GB)
  • Nvidia RTX 3070
  • 1 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB SSD (OS and programs)
  • 2 x WD Black 10TB HDD in RAID 1 (Docs, pics, videos/movies, music, games)
  • Noctua NH-U9S CPU Cooler - CROMAX Black version
  • 3 x Noctua 92mm fan - CROMAX Black version (two on CPU cooler and one on rear)
  • 2 x Noctua NA-FC1 Fan Control Unit

@Tarak Abu Adam 

Wsalaam Tarak,

Thank you again.

I plan to follow your recommendations and want to power at least the CPU fan with the NA-FC1.

I have one more Noctua NF-A9 PWM 92mm delivering in a few days. I plan on having that one on the front (top or bottom, not sure yet exactly where) in an intake position.

I plan to set up the NA-FC1 when that last fan arrives as I want to do the no-stop mode to make sure the fans get the full 2000rpm for best airflow.

Right now the exhaust 92mm Noctua fan as well as the Noctua NH-9DL CPU cooler fan are hooked up to their spots on the motherboard.

Now, I don’t think I will do 2 of the NA-FC1 just yet but as I get more comfortable with these kinds of things, I may tinker more and more.

I am wanting to put the fan in the front as intake and use that one AND the cpu cooler and use those for the NA-FC1. The NH-9DL is currently connected to “FAN CPU.” I’m just not sure how the next connection goes (like what cables go where).

The PC has an extra SATA cable that is meant for the additional 2.5 SSD (if you wanted to put one in, but I have no plan to do that).

There is one cable with the SATA power cable included in the Noctua NA-FC1 set. I will attach a picture of what I am thinking but I am not sure if this is right.

Here is my thought:

----On the left side of the NA-FC1 (side closer to the red and green light indicator), I will connect it to the cable that has the SATA power cable and the motherboard fan connector. The motherboard fan connector will go to the “FAN CPU” spot on the motherboard.

----On the other end of the NA-FC1 (right side), I will connect the Y splitter cable and connect the two fans to those two spots on that Y splitter cable.

Does this look correct?Does this look correct?

Please let me know. Many thanks as always. 

Ehsan

@EhsanHaque24 

Your notes on the picture are correct.  I do have one question though.  The NA-FC1 in your pic only has connections to power two fans.  Mine has connections to power three fans.  Did you cut one of the fans connections off?

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor