XPS Desktops

Last reply by 07-21-2021 Solved
Start a Discussion

XPS 8940, Better 3rd party cooler

Hello there

I would greatly appreciate any help to find a new/better 3rd party cooler for my XPS 8940. It came with the thin and small stock cooler and is overheating the whole time. I got a i9-10900 processor with 128 GB of RAM and I need this computer to generate some GIS layers. These jobs take 2-4 hrs every time and I can see that the processor is throttling or C° 97+ all the time.

I tried the Noctua 15S but the problem is there is no space for the bracket under the motherboard. The stock fan screws directly into the chassis from above.

Thank you very much

Replies (929)

Just wanted to let XPS 8940 owners know that the Vetroo V5 cooler is a wonderful option and only costs $25 (amazon).

Amazon.com: Vetroo V5 CPU Air Cooler w/ 5 Heat Pipes 120mm PWM Processor Fan Intel LGA 1200 115X / A...

Since I wasn't having luck getting the vrm coolers from dell, I just used these (about six bucks). https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QM84KPZ

The Vetroo  V5 pretty much fits the XPS perfectly (has a few mm of clearanance height-wise) and allows computer panel to fit back on with no issues.

Tested on Cinebench to good effect (never went over 70c) and Prime95 (never went over 65c).   During normal usage fan is really quiet.  Could only hear it (and not too bad) under max load (cinebench and prime95).

Installation was a snap, tho' mounting the fan took a bit of patience.  Strongly suggest watching the install videos you can find for this on youtube.

It's a great idea to connect the mounts and (leaving the protective sticker on the heat plate) line up the screws to the mounting plate on the MB before applying paste and mounting for real.

I highly recommend this cooler for you XPS 8940 owners.

Vetroo 5 - XPS 8940.jpg

Great job, @SomeCaliGuy !! Did you need to buy separate screws to mount it into the built-in case mount studs?

Nope, no additional screws needed.

Nothing additional is required to install Vetroo V5 to a dell XPS 8940 except for a screwdriver.  Provided brackets/screws work correctly with Dells built in back-plate (i.e. the one that is part of the case).   Installed cooler was very secure once installed.

Since the mounting screw bracket is adjustable, I strongly recommend doing that adjustment and testing the spacing before actually applying paste and mounting to the motherboard.

I'm impressed with this cooler that works great, is inexpensive, comes complete and is 100% compatible with my XPS 8940 out of the box.  Total install time was about 15 minutes for me and I'm not great with this type of thing at all.

What CPU do you have, with those temps?

Intel Core i7 10700 @ 2.90GHz  (Non k).

Vetroo V5 cooler allowed me to maintain high clock rates even when fully loaded (Cinebench and Prime95 --- Benched both single and multi-core with cinebench).

Really happy with knowing I can now do all kinds of intensive processing without thermal throttling or exceeding 70 c. 

Please note that I did substitute the Vetroo provided thermal paste with Arctic M5.

@SomeCaliGuy that's really great to know that they include screws which screw directly into the Dell backplate.

Those of us who got Noctua CPU coolers had to source our own M3x16mm screws (or else cut the studs built into the Dell case and use the Noctua backplate). It's good to know that there is a good alternative that's easier to install as well as much lower price. The temps you're mentioning are in line with what I'm getting from the Noctua.

Yeah, I saw a youtube comparison between the Vetroo v5 and the Noctua and the Noctua was only  a few degrees better for like 3x the price.  There wasn't much differentiating them at all in terms of temperatures/performance.

And, you don't need to fuss around with getting special screws/standoffs/etc. with the Vetroo.  For the XPS 8940, it just works.

Here's my odyssey with cooling.  I received my XPS 8940 with i9-10900 and RTX 2060 Super a little over a week ago.  Because I had heard about overheating issues and plan to use it for video editing, I ran Cinebench (results shown in first picture below).  Needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper.  I tried to order Dell's cooler for K-model CPUs (VWD01), but they were out of stock.  I hadn't heard about the Voodoo at that point, so I ordered the Noctua NH-U9s and installed it with no problem (Lowes is just a couple blocks away for the screws).  The temps on CineBench dropped 21-22 degrees, plus the CineBench score improved from 12,783 to 13,669 because there was no more thermal throttling.  I'm a happy camper now.

The really irritating part was when I removed the stock cooler and looked at the thermal paste which had been applied at the factory.  You can see in photos 2 and 3 below that there was no paste at all in the center of the CPU!  No wonder it was running so hot.  I pity the poor folks who buy this pc and don't know to check the temps.  I can't imagine it would last very long.Right from the factory like this!Right from the factory like this!Bottom side of stock coolerBottom side of stock coolerTop of CPUTop of CPU

@Richmond Dan - wow, I thought mine was bad until I saw yours !  

Here's a picture of the thermal paste on my cpu .

And here's a picture of the thermal paste on the cooler

And some links to the different hardware I used to mount the NH-U9S ... This one is using m3 screws with captivated flat & lock washer . And then I wanted to do one trying to get closer to the original intent of Noctua by being able to use their included thumbscrews. So I found a kit intended for an RC car that included some m3 x 25 set screws relatively cheap on Amazon. Here's my post for that installation using the set screws... NH-U9S installed with Noctua thumbscrews.NH-U9S installed with Noctua thumbscrews.

Is there a way to edit these posts ? I posted the wrong link and wanted to fix it.

oh well, here's the correct link to the original thermal paste on the cooler . 

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions