XPS Desktops

Last reply by 04-12-2021 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

XPS 8940, Better Thermals

According to the article on Engadget (Dell XPS Desktop) the new XPS 8940 is going to have better air flow.

"In designing the XPS Desktop, Dell says its goal was to maximize performance and airflow. The computer intakes air through the front and side of its enclosure before expelling it out the back. At no point does the case recirculate air, according to Dell."

This case looks exactly like the Inspiron G5 which from what I understand doesn't have good air flow. Any thoughts on how this is going to be better?

Replies (29)

Nice easy solution per @Noorss for anyone looking to get  basic case termps, CPU temps and GPU temps under control.   

This is for the G5 5090 and might be similar to the XPS 8940 from what's being written.

Good pics and videos for the Coolermaster Hyper TX3 install, Noctua A9 PWM fan upgrade, using the stock fan as intake to bypass the fan header issue, and installing M.2 and SSD drives.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Inspiron-G5-5090-CPU-cooler/m-p/7637342/highlight/t... 

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Inspiron-G5-5090-CPU-cooler/m-p/7646097/highlight/t... 

@HanoverB thank you for the very detailed write up! 

As someone who bought the XPS 8930, more or less replaced everything but the motherboard and CPU and still isn't very happy with it, I was eyeing this new model very heavily. The more I read into the G5 and seeing how this new XPS is built on the same framework, I am hesitant to pull the trigger. 

IF I end up with this new XPS it seems it would be wise to follow the same procedure as the G5 with these upgrades:

* Replaced the stock CPU cooler with Coolermaster Hyper TX3.

* Replace the rear stock fan with a Noctua 92mm fan.

* Add the original stock rear fan to the front using a fan splitter that came with the Noctua fan.

Hi, @GameCrusader ,

You wrote:-

"As someone who bought the XPS 8930, more or less replaced everything but the motherboard and CPU".

This implies that you've also changed out the XPS8930 from its "Stock 460W" device.

Since a lot of Customers have also changed out their XPS8930, I think a lot would agree that it is "marginal" & that the Topic of "Under-Rated PSU" is relevant!!

On that basis, since the max PSU that you can order with the XPS8940 is 500W (not a significant difference from 460W) & that the new PSU is proprietary (i.e. does NOT conform to ATX Standards), you will probably be stuck with an PC that you cannot realistically upgrade because of its PSU!!

Regards,
John,

(I detest "CAPTCHA - Photos". The Photos are always blurred & the questions refer to Americanisms - hence NOT always Internationally understandable!)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GameCrusader    Replace the rear stock fan with a Noctua 92mm fan.

I would go with a 120mm fan everywhere they will fit. Big difference between 92mm and 120mm fans. I don't know if anyone has tried this yet on the G5 or XPS 8940, but for the Aurora series AWCC, any 3-pin fan can be used at TOP FAN header and it will not throw the BIOS start up error. So a couple 120mm nice, quiet Noctua 3-pin 1200 rpm fans may work nicely.

92mm fan vs. 120mm fan

IMG_3738.JPG

1. As someone who bought the XPS 8930, more or less replaced everything but the motherboard and CPU and still isn't very happy with it,

2. I was eyeing this new model very heavily. The more I read into the G5 and seeing how this new XPS is built on the same framework, I am hesitant to pull the trigger.

3. IF I end up with this new XPS it seems it would be wise to follow the same procedure as the G5 with these upgrades:

* Replaced the stock CPU cooler with Coolermaster Hyper TX3.

* Replace the rear stock fan with a Noctua 92mm fan.

* Add the original stock rear fan to the front using a fan splitter that came with the Noctua fan.

============================

1. No offence, but sounds like you bought the wrong machine for your needs.

2. Understandable.

3. I would be much easier (and cost effective) to:

a. buy an Alienware Aurora (with Liquid-Cooler and 850w PS ... pre-installed)

b. buy a Precision Workstation (small ones are cheaper than you think)

c. Custom build a desktop PC (or have someone build you a nice one).

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

I thought that I bought exactly what I needed/wanted as I've ALWAYS had XPS Desktops. I just wasn't aware of all of the changes that had been made to the XPS Desktops. So you are half correct as I didn't do my homework very well before buying. I went off the fact that I've been a loyal Dell XPS person for many years.

After a lot of heavy modding the 8930 it does seem better then stock but I still don't care for the design.

This reddit thread makes a good point about comparing the New G5 to the new XPS. It's almost worth looking at the G5 more closely:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/ho7ge1/dell_launches_new_xps_desktop_with_comet_lake_cpu/

I built two similarly same spec'd New G5 and a New XPS and there is a $225 price difference. The main differences is the New G5 has an 'F' Process (no onboard video) and it has a standard M.2 (where as the XPS has NVMe). This isn't necessarily the specs that what I would purchase but it's interesting to see the price difference.

https://imgur.com/a/kfugqdH?

This all said, I am going to wait until until some reviews for the new XPS come out and make a decision on what my new 2020 desktop will be. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GameCrusader    After a lot of heavy modding the 8930 it does seem better then stock but I still don't care for the design.

What type of tasks do you typically use your computer to perform (as if your user name isn't a give away)?

If you don't mind sharing, posts some photos and specs of your modified XPS 8930.

Here is everything I did to my current 8930. I'll see about getting some pics up later.

Replaced the stock PSU with a Corsair RM750x
Added a GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Super GAMING OC 3X (I bought the XPS without a dedicated graphics card)
Replaced the stock hard drive with a Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe
Replaced the stock Killer Wireless card with an Intel WiFi 6 AX200NGW
Replaced the stock CPU cooler with the Noctua NH-L9i
Replaced stock 92mm top case fan with Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM; Required purchasing new bracket from the online auction site
Add Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM front fan; drilled a few holes to screw it into the case

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GameCrusader    Here is everything I did to my current 8930. I'll see about getting some pics up later.

Looks like you have done some good work. I had not seen that Noctua CPU cooler before. Does that keep CPU temps down while gaming?  Also, just wondering, on your top exhaust fan and lower front intake fan; is there some reason you went with 15mm fans instead of 25mm fans?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GameCrusader 

OK, with a 286.5mm triple fan graphics card, I can see why you may have had to go with a 15mm lower front intake fan. I am actually surprised you got that graphics card inside a XPS 8930. Crow bar & sledge hammer 

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor