XPS Desktops

Last reply by 06-19-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 8940, Digital Audio Out

Attempting to connect 8940 XPS to my hifi system. Can someone confirm that the black 3.5mm jack on back panel is indeed a dual 3.5mm speaker jack + 3.5mm toslink optical digital out (to connect external DAC /hifi system, etc). Current documentation on internet is very unclear. Thank you!

Replies (6)
8 Krypton

See the manual here-- XPS 8940 Setup and Specifications (dell.com)

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thank you....have seen the manual. Just trying to confirm that the middle jack (black) offers optical digital audio out. Dell does a lousy job of clarifying that in manual & elsewhere.

@Back9PHX wrote:

Just trying to confirm that the middle jack (black) offers optical digital audio out. 

No.

It's just analog.

These 3 jacks are for a "set of 5.1 computer speakers" ... not Home Theater 5.1 audio (like Dolby-Digital or DTS). 

Coaxial Digital-Audio would look like a (larger) RCA-jack.
Optical SPDIF looks like a square-ish hole (for an optical cable).

If you need further assistance, please describe your "Hifi System" (make/model of components, age, etc) and I can try to make some suggestions.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Optical can come in whats called mini toslink 3.5mm.

Similar to what a mac does.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-toslink-to-3-5mm-mini-optical-adapter-black/6225006.p?skuId=...

Have seen some documentation on this PC that suggests that there is digital out via the middle black jack. Just trying to confirm.

10 Diamond

@Back9PHX 

There is no DAC or toslink.  If you look at the jack there is no RED LED in the back with Toslink digital Audio.

Turtle beach audio advantage USB has this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402948344098

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thank you...have come to that conclusion as well. Too bad digital out is not an option on this machine. So bought a creative soundblaster ae5 plus.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor