Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2021 06:00

XPS 8940, Disk Activity light behind. Why?

1. Can anybody please explain what is the logic of installing Hard Disk Activity indicator behind XPS 8940 Desktop? Why was it not placed in the front of the desktop?

2. This desktop came with Windows 10 installed. Soon as I booted up this brand new computer, Windows 11 started downloading through Windows Updates. Is there any way we can opt out if we don't want Windows 11?

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

10.3K Posts

October 12th, 2021 09:00

Certainly I do not work for Dell or know what they were thinking, but multiple users have reported this light being extremely bright and distracting, that they want it turned off or blocked. In this logic it might be better to place it on back IO panel, which might be a bit less annoying. For someone who actually wanted to see the light clearly when PC is accessing SSD, this may be disappointing. It is hard for Dell to please both groups of people I guess.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 12th, 2021 06:00

I can't answer the disc light.  

I'm surprised Win 11 so early.  Probably no way to opt out.  I have Win 11 and its basically just Win 10 "2.0".  Not a lot different on the surface.  I have a recording studio and everything that worked in previous Windows works without problems in Win 11.

7 Posts

October 12th, 2021 08:00

Thanks for your response.

I can't seem to figure out the logic of placing Hard Drive Activity light on the back of the Desktop. What were they thinking?

I downloaded Win 11 ISO and created a USB installation boot drive. Clean installed Win 11 and the system is working great. Only problem is that when I click on Microsoft Store App on the desktop to download Dell Apps, typing Dell does not bring up anything. 

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

October 12th, 2021 11:00

@moby66 wrote:

1. Can anybody please explain what is the logic of installing Hard Disk Activity indicator behind XPS8940 Desktop? Why was it not placed in the front of the desktop?

@moby66,

Surprised me too.

I usually didn't think it had much value myself. However there were times I'd look at to make sure something was loading/working.

My wife PC had the LED 'burn out'. Figuring it was needed, I found on the web a few programs that would put 'lights' on the Systray.

Put it on, and then took it off.

The only time I think 'we' really need it is during SHUTDOWN. On her PC all you see is 'Shutting down' on the screen. The Systray apps close and they are no use at that point to see if the disk is being written to during shutdown.

Me, I'd want it back on the FRONT or maybe a BIOS setting to enable/disable it.

Dell's thought was to satisfy some people, but the implementation could have been better.

7 Posts

October 12th, 2021 12:00

Ispalten

Not sure what the engineers were thinking! Yes one can download many disk activity led software but we need to load it each time Windows loads taking up precious system resources.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 10th, 2021 15:00

redxps630 is correct. We have received many complaints over the years about front facing LEDs. The XPS 8950 also uses the rear drive activity light.

XPS8950io.JPG

1 Rookie

• 

23 Posts

November 25th, 2021 00:00

The light in the back is really useless, they could as well remove it like they did in the XPS 8930.

like the disk activity light visible in the front panel, it doesn't have to be bright, just visible!

1 Rookie

• 

23 Posts

November 25th, 2021 00:00

That disk activity light placed in the back is completely useless, am I supposed to put a mirror behind the desktop to see the light ?

5 Posts

January 4th, 2022 15:00

I just fired up my new XPS 8940 and have the same complaint.  I have an older XPS 8300.  It has an activity led visible in the front panel. It can't be much lager than a mm and sure is not excessively bright, but still very useful.

Has anyone figured out a hardware hack to make it visible (other than a mirror)?

A piece of tape would 'mute' a front facing led that was felt to be too bright.

1 Message

July 23rd, 2022 12:00

The XPS-8950 is the same.  Perhaps a small mirror on the wall behind the computer?

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

July 23rd, 2022 16:00

@dan-z wrote:

The XPS-8950 is the same.  Perhaps a small mirror on the wall behind the computer?

Doesn't help if under a cabinet or below the desk.

Wish there was a gadget with a fiber optic cable you could put over it and then leave the end on the top of the case?

Otherwise, there are s/w applets that sit on the right taskbar systray that shows disk activity (which also uses the CPU of course). See https://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/26/featured/hard-disk-activity-indicator-software-windows.html 

I've used them in the past when the LED died on an XPS8500. Have to have the monitor on to see it is a drawback. Don't know what is happening in terms of disk access when the monitor is off or the Screen Saver is on, nor during boot before Windows Desktop appears or during Shutdown when the desktop closes.

24 Posts

September 27th, 2022 20:00

I placed a mirror, that worked seeing from angled position.   Then, after a year or so, I decided to put an LED on front panel.   I build a small circuit, a photo-transistor picked up rear side LED light, that turned a transistor ON, that turned a red LED on front panel ON.   Very convenient.

Tak

No Events found!