Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

5 Posts

December 8th, 2020 05:00

XPS 8940, Headphones work, microphone does not

I have a Razor Kraken X headset and when i plug it in i have sound but my microphone is not working. The headset works correctly, including microphone on my work computer.

4 Posts

December 26th, 2020 21:00

SOLVED -- at least for me.

I received a PM from the Dell social media team with the following advice... "try installing the Waves MaxxAudio Pro Application (if not already installed), then ensure this and the RealTek audio is enabled in Task Manager > Startup tab as well as in the Windows services.  Once done, try connecting the headphones to the port and check if you get a prompt from Waves MaxxAudio Pro to select which device you've inserted. Ensure to select the appropriate option and then test to see if the microphone works."

This worked for my XPS 8940 -- much appreciated!

-Dan

1 Message

January 23rd, 2021 11:00

Received new PC, first time plugged in earphone with mic, and chose headphone - on ear option without too much thinking. Later, when testing Zoom, system can't find any mic input device. "Mic is not plugged in".

Need to open "MaxxAudio Pro Application" software,

1. unplug the headset,

2. check ‘Show pop-up dialog when device is connected‘ box

3. Plug in headset, choose headset option for Mic.

If everything is working, you can

uncheck ‘Show pop-up dialog when device is connected‘ box.

How to Disable "Which Device Did You Plug In" Prompt | Mos Tech Tips

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 8th, 2020 06:00

Which exact model of Dell system do you have?

5 Posts

December 8th, 2020 09:00

I have a XPS 8940-7262BLK-PUS

5 Posts

Thank you for your response Mary and i do understand that desktops do not have microphones. As stated in the initial post, i am using a Razer Kraken headset which has a microphone attached.

Razer Kraken Headset

When it is plugged into my work laptop the microphone works fine, when it is plugged into my Dell, I can hear through the headphones but the dell does not detect a microphone.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

Desktops do not have microphones. You have to add one.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

Watch this setup video.

5 Posts

December 8th, 2020 11:00

yes I did, thank you so much for your reply. It looks like it may be a hardware issue at this point.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 8th, 2020 11:00

@adanna01  Did you go to the Microphone Privacy Screen and turn the microphone on, and give apps permission to use it?

microphone.jpg

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

December 8th, 2020 15:00

@adanna01 What type of 3.5 mm jack is on your Razer Kraken headset? If it is a combination audio/mic jack you may need an adapter cable that separates the audio and mic outputs because the XPS 8920 has separate inputs for the audio and mic.

5 Posts

December 9th, 2020 05:00

So I don't have or cannot find the splitter for my Razer so i cannot test that on that device. There is a combination port on the front of the box below the SD reader which is not working for the microphone on two of my headsets. Additionally, i do have an older headset which is equipped with a splitter. From this device i can still hear sound like the other two headphones but the mic does not work. The problem I am seeing may not be so much that the microphones on the headsets are not working but instead that the Dell XPS desktop is not picking the mic up at all, as in it does not show a device at all when they are plugged in. 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 22nd, 2020 11:00

The oem audio driver may need reinstalling many times after every windows feature update or it will not correctly detect what is inserted into the front jack.

The headset port on the front uses OTIA CTIA  TRRS just like ipad and iphone etc. So you have to use the front or you need a splitter for Red and Green for old school headset.

https://www.amazon.com/MillSO-3-5mm-Jack-Adapter-CTIA/dp/B071NDLCGC/

ctia.jpgTRRS is one plug for mic and headphonesTRRS is one plug for mic and headphones

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2020 11:00

I have the exact same problem with my OMEN Headphones, have you found a solution?

4 Posts

December 25th, 2020 22:00

We have the same issue -- my headset's microphone is not recognized using the combo port on the front of the Dell XPS 8940, specifically for headsets.  Headphone speakers are fine. On my other desktops (Optiplex 3010, 9020) this headset/mic combo (TBI Pro Imba V8) works fine using a splitter, plugged into the back side green speaker out, and pink mic line in...  I tried using the splitter on the back of my XPS 8940, but there doesn't seem to be a "line in" port on the back side. Is there a different driver that would make the combo "headset" port on the front of the XPS 8940 recognize my headset's microphone? As we said...speaker earphones are fine. Microphone cannot be detected... What's going on...?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 26th, 2020 07:00

It will not detect the mic if the OEM driver needs to be reinstalled.

When the driver is installed and working it will ask you what you plugged in.

You say headset instead of headphones.

The driver will need to be re  re re re re re re re installed for every windows feature update.

No Events found!