Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 6th, 2022 05:00

XPS 8940, NIC powers down, WoL won't work

I have:

- disabled deep sleep in the BIOS

- enabled WoL in the BIOS

- disabled "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the Ethernet card roperties

but still there are no flashing LEDs on the ethernet card when I shutdown the computer (so obviously Wake on LAN won't work)WoL enabledWoL enabledDeep Sleep disabledDeep Sleep disabledcomputer not to shutdown device to save powercomputer not to shutdown device to save power

12 Posts

March 6th, 2022 20:00

The answer was that I missed disabling "Fast Startup" (Control panel/Power Options/Choose what the power buttons do/Change settings that are currently unavailable).

Thankyou Dell Support

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 6th, 2022 11:00

Try S3 as Sleep-Mode. And even then, I normally have to send it a "Magic Packet" to get it to wake-up. I do that from a batch-file.

• 

25.1K Posts

March 15th, 2022 09:00

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

March 15th, 2022 09:00

I have the same generation XPS, the same NIC, the same problem and am starting from the point of having taken the same steps to begin with.

Disabling Fast startup has made no difference. My NIC LEDs are both unlit once the machine is in sleep and I cannot connect with MSTSC/RDP.

Driving me mad and my colleagues at the office who have to keep bashing my keyboard whenever I take a break and each morning.

Are you sure you didn't change anything else steerage250?

Thanks

M

March 16th, 2022 09:00

I've resolved it now thank you.

I had to use a different combination of settings to the solution that worked for the OP but at least my frustrations can be put to bed and I can get on with things.

No Events found!