Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

110 Posts

January 27th, 2021 12:00

XPS 8940, Power Media Player for Dell

(This may be my 2nd post on this, sorry if so - but the 1sts post gave me some virtual  assistant response and I was not able to attach the picture)

I've done a bit of video editing on my new system. Working well. Today I noticed that the Power Media Player for Dell is not working. It did work at one time (put in a DVD and it autoplays or asks me what do I want to do). When I click on the desktop icon for Media Suite Essentials, the main window opens up, the then nothing works (the additional icon's I need too click on to open the program) after that. When I click on the left icon, the Power Media Player.. nothing happens. There is a quick 'flash', like a window opening, then nothing.

I've looked at the dell site to try and reload the software but I find nothing.. I did not get any CD software of installed programs with my system, so it must be on the web someplace. I do have a 2008 Dell CD that has PowerDVD and the programs on it, but I was hoping to load the newer version I got on the system when I bought it.

I have Autoplay set for 'Play DVD (power Media Player for dell)' set and the Enhanced DVD Movie set for the same. Nothing.

Web searches show reinstalling windows, which is crazy.

Ideas?
Thanks
Scottmedia first page.jpg

110 Posts

January 27th, 2021 15:00

This is crazy!!!.. I'm on the phone with Camille, Dell tech support - pretty high up - I passed the standard guys over an hour ago.. we're on the phone for over an hour - she's got control of my computer remotely.. we're trying this and that; uninstall Cyberlink, reinstall from the Microsoft store (strange enough).. there is Cyberliink for Dell on the store, did not work, and finally she decided to do a system restore.. I've done this many times (on lots of systems) so I know what's going on.. we do it, no change. Lot's of questions.. then she drops the bomb.. there must be a corrupt file and we need to REINSTALL WINDOWS.. well, no frick'en way.. that's not happening; I've just got my system loaded with the software I use all the time. I told her I'd play with it. I go to the Add//Remove programs.. there are the files - I'm about to take them off and I see "Advanced Options" ; Repair or Reset this program, or I could uninstall it. I decide to reset the program.. and it WORKED.. the program works just like it should now.. I reset all the Cyberlink programs (4) and they all work!! I spend a good 2 hours on the phone with Dell... they uninstalled, reinstalled, loaded a past restore point.. and all that needed to be done was a program reset from the add/remove programs.. I'm going to go get a still drink and try to not think about the last 2 hours.

513 Posts

January 27th, 2021 14:00

I have had issues with this also. I wish they would just send the DVD to install it. Every Time I have to reinstall Windows I have to go around and Around with Dell about this. I wish there was a way to Download Cyber Link Media Suite Essentials not from Microsoft store just the whole program and save it for later.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 30th, 2021 22:00

1. I did not get any CD software of installed programs with my system,

2. so it must be on the web someplace.

3. I do have a 2008 Dell CD that has PowerDVD and the programs on it, but I was hoping to load the newer version I got on the system when I bought it.

=======================

1. Not these days. Most desktops and laptops don't even have optical drives any more.

2. It is. support.dell.com , Microsoft App Store, maybe even a Dell Software Vault (or similar work-alike).

3. No, none of that software should be loaded. And as far as Power-DVD ... the only version I would trust to run on TODAY'S versions of Windows-10 64bit is maybe CyberLink PowerDVD 17 Ultra (or higher).

But really, unless you need to play or burn Blu-Rays ... there are better softwares out there (most free or cheap). 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 30th, 2021 22:00

I have had issues with this also. I wish they would just send the DVD to install it. Every Time I have to reinstall Windows I have to go around and Around with Dell about this. I wish there was a way to Download Cyber Link Media Suite Essentials not from Microsoft store just the whole program and save it for later.

=======================

If it's the free Dell version, you just download it from the Microsoft store. It should already be linked to your Microsoft Account by now (you said you already got it before).

If you bought a CyberLink PowerDVD license from Dell, just keep your serial-key in a safe place. It should always be available for download/installation (from Dell Digital Locker). If you buy a real version (like at store or Amazon), it's still on plastic disc (for now).

Sounds like more users need to know about VLC .

To be clear ... I like optical discs (Audio-CDs, Video-DVD, and Blu-Ray) . I have burners, rippers, stand-alone players, all that. But it's been over a year since I've even touched a disc for computer, car, home-theater, anything really.

July 11th, 2023 00:00

Almost same issue with my xps ,  and the media player worked then shows an "ad and message saying that i need to upgrade and pay $12.  to get my dvd to play.

so i actally did, and it worked once , now asks me to upgrade every time, or says ,, no disc.

When i troubleshoot, it says the dvd is working properly.

its all marketing ploy to get us to pay $$$$ or get so frustrated and we buy, spend , to resolve.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh

1 Message

December 1st, 2023 06:13

The app acted agressive, seams corrupted plug-ins in a music program, files exported became unusable. The unistall process was unusual. It did not show on a screen that the app being Uninstalled, but during shutting down the messages  displayed was that critical components are missing. After the system restore killed the C drive. Now dear, Dell, do you plan to have full  charges on repair for you loyal customer? 

No Events found!