Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2022 23:00

XPS 8940, blinking power light 3 orange 2 white

Sometimes when I boot up, the power light gives me this pattern, which according to the chart is a PCI of video card/chip failure. I assume the of actually should be or. I have an Nvidia Quadro K5200 card installed, and it has 3 displays connected to it. The video card functions perfectly, and the computer boots up just fine. I also put in an Asus Xonar sound card that as of now still doesn't have a Windows 11 driver.

Could the sound card be causing the blinking light? 

Is this anything to be concerned about?

I note that this doesn't always happen when I boot.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 29th, 2022 16:00

If you only have one monitor connected to this PC, it should be connected to the NVidia card, not to either the onboard Intel Graphics HDMI or DP port.

If you have a second monitor that's connected to one of the on-board Intel Graphics ports, you have to enable the Multi-Display option in BIOS setup and set the Primary Display option to NVidia. 

See table 3, here.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

June 14th, 2022 04:00

There is a long thread about this issue in the forum here. The best suggestion was to pull the cards from the motherboard one at a time to determine which card failed.

15 Posts

June 14th, 2022 11:00

The video card was causing the problem. It worked fine for about 24 hours, then problems started cropping up. It is an NVIDIA Quadro K5200, and I think the power supply is not adequate to power it. There have been some heated discussions about this issue, I have noticed. Does anyone have a definitive answer about what actually will work to upgrade the power supply?

15 Posts

June 28th, 2022 19:00

Can anyone tell me how to shut off a blinking power light error code? According to the manual, my error is a PCI or video card missing failure, but I have an Nvidia card installed in the system and the system is working perfectly, including both the Nvidia card and the built-in UHD video card. I just want to stop the annoying blink pattern, as the power light is just at the edge of my line of sight. I don't need anything else, as the system works fine.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

June 28th, 2022 20:00

Power button light is controlled by bios automatically and it may be too bright or distracting for some users. No good way to turn it off.  This issue was discussed before in community.  A black electrical tape over the power light is possibly one remedy. If you can see through the tape, then double or triple tape might help.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

June 29th, 2022 04:00

You could try clearing CMOS by removing the CR2032 coin cell battery and discharging flea power to possibly reset the BIOS error. Make sure your power is disconnected if you try this reset.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 29th, 2022 06:00

Your error could be the you are using both the integrated video port and the Nvidia card. You cannot use both. Only the connections on the discrete video card can be used. Nothing should be connected to the ports on the integrated video. To use the integrated video you have to physically remove the Nvidia card from the computer.

No Events found!