Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

11 Posts

May 13th, 2022 10:00

XPS 8940, crashing issues since December

Got this computer back in july last year and worked for the most part first few months, some crashes, december it really started going down hill with it locking up/freezing (sometimes restarting) every few days nothing related to a specific problem. It randomly stopped not sure which bios update or nvidia driver fixed it after reinstalling 8 times. Been working fine for few weeks now but now it's frozen up again and restarted, event viewer doesn't even have a error code for why it blue screened and at this point i'm just sick of it at this point because it's made me unwilling to do anything productive on the computer in fear it's just gonna randomly freeze and restart. Any assistance would be great, i'm gonna assume it's bios related as back in january I had contacted support and it wasn't showing anything hardware related (not that they were really helpful)

16 Posts

August 6th, 2022 00:00

Hey all,

just spamming the various similar threads with a solution which seems to be working for me(so far), sorry if unrelated:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8940-Intermittent-Freeze-Possible-Solution/m-p/8246339#M74004

7 Posts

August 6th, 2022 04:00

L'ho appena fatto, per la maggior parte gioco solo a giochi quindi i crash non mi fanno perdere completamente nulla, solo una grande seccatura, stavo anche cercando di rivedere le cose prima di farlo.

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

August 6th, 2022 07:00

===========

I just did this, mostly I only play games so crashes don't make me miss anything completely, just a big hassle, I was also trying to review things before doing that.

===============

Translation via Google.

Not at all clear who you were replying to or the translation isn't exact?

Suggest you reply (in English if possible as this is an English forum). in the link the supposed solution is?

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

August 14th, 2022 15:00

Please do us a favour and stop spamming this - it is not a solution.
It may helped you,, but as I read through other topics, you also encounter still freezing issues.

So please STOP spamming this as solution. THX in advance.
____
DK

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

August 15th, 2022 07:00

I feel everyone's pain. I am a 30 year computer support professional working for a Fortune 500 company. I have always bought Dell systems - this is my 17th. 

Symptoms:

• The system will hard freeze while doing something - browsing the web, reading email, working on a word doc - suddenly freezes - no Windows key response, no mouse moving, no CTRL+ALT+DEL.
  • The system may simply go black and reboot. 
  • You log into the system after resuming from sleep and find that you are logging into a new session and all your previous work is no longer open - you logged in and not just unlocked. (Event log will show the previous system shutdown was unexpected.)

Please look for the following in the System event log. 

Event 41, logged at  8/14/2022 11:01:14 AM
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

and event 6008, logged at  8/14/2022 11:01:21 AM
The previous system shutdown at 9:35:01 PM on ‎8/‎13/‎2022 was unexpected.

Note that the time from the system log recording the system shutdown,  to the actual system log recording of the previous system shutdown varies from minutes to hours. But these 2 events always happen together. And this can happen overnight, while the system is sleeping. 

I have even gone as far as to assist Dell Support with troubleshooting by buying an additional NVMe drive, to allow a fresh Windows reinstall - without any of my files, antivirus, and software. I have lost count of all the times I have reinstalled Windows 10, wiping out all partitions. The issues return within hours, days, or weeks. But they always return. The current install of Windows 10 was done on July 23rd...a little more than 3 weeks.

I have seemingly been through every driver update, BIOS/UEFI update, Dell drivers vs. Intel drivers. 
Note: Dell Support Assistant does NOT always give you every driver you may need. Some are recommended and you can manually download and install them. Seems to be some recommended, but not critical may not get installed.

Dell has replaced the parts below over the last 7 months.
1. Blu-ray drive (system had issues with playing blu-ray disks.) 
2. Motherboard 0427JK (I have heard there are actually 4 variations.)
3. nVidia GeForce RTX 3060 12GB
4. Power supply

My system hard froze this morning while I was reading email in Chrome. (Or Edge - does not matter.)

Waiting on the latest call this morning to Premiere Support to see what is next. The only components not replaced are the memory sticks, the Killer Wi-Fi card, and the core i7-11700 processor.  

Here is how you can filter your event log to see this easily. 
EventViewer-SystemLog-Filter-Critical+Error.png

I hope this helps others get good information to their support. 

Good luck to all.

I honestly don't know if this is:
  • a Microsoft issue with Windows,
  • an Intel issue with the processor,
  • or a Dell issue with their motherboard.

They are trying, but this is a tough one. 

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

August 15th, 2022 08:00

Yes, we all have the same pain.

Seems you might have 2 different reason's though?

First, the 6008 error, that appears to be either a program calling for shutdown or a remote program doing it? See this link, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/event-id-6008-is-unexpectedly-logged-to-the-system-event-log-after-you-shut-down-and-restart-your-computer-2e517ea0-e592-b3ad-d572-501c033f4567 

Almost all of us have no other Event Viewer errors.

In your case, that 6008 error might have created a DMP file though, especially if you got a black or BSOD and the auto-reboot. Get NirSoft's BlueScreenView, it should find the DMP and it might give you a hint of the cause?

Have you ever installed BIOS V2.3.0? Most of us were stable running under it?

Motherboards, here are all that the 8940 supposedly shipped with:

Motherboards =
KV3RP Foxconn 02012PQ00-600-G, Released July 9, 2020
2W4W1 Foxconn 02012TA00-600-G, Released December 1, 2020, Brazil only
F1H92 Foxconn 02012YJ00-600-G, Released March 15, 2021, Brazil only
427JK Foxconn 02012VY00-600-G, Released March 15, 2021
K3CM7 Foxconn ??, Released July 14, 2021

Most of us have the 427JK, but fails have been reported on K3CM7 as well.

Fails have been on i7 and i9 of all varieties I think?

It is not a MS Problem, Unix users have the problem as well.

I am surprised Support didn't ask you to use the Intel HD750 and disable the Nvidia card? Never had the p0roblem doing that and it doesn't fail.

I used a number of Nvidia drivers and Dell supported Nvidia drivers. Makes no difference, and I've used both varieties, Game Ready and Studio and it still fails.

We've also ruled out RAM Rank, fail have with both Single and Dual Rank as well as the GB sizes.

Note that only Nvidia users face the problem.

So, it sort of points to the BIOS and what is in it? That includes the Intel Management Engine. Both of these have their own CVE's that are 'fixed' as well, and one or more of those could be the culprit.

This has been going on now for over 7 months, since the release of BIOS V2.4.0. If Dell can't fix it, they should replace the video cards with ATI's of the same capability. Since you have Premium Support, ask them to do it, maybe they will? Can't do it for me as I have the standard support. They can only replace what was shipped I was told.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

August 15th, 2022 09:00

Thanks for the great information. I didn’t want to get too much down on the weeds on this. 

I have only had 2 blue screens. And they were before Dell replaced the graphics card. Both referred to nVidia in the dump file. And I do have the software from Nirsoft. Great minds! 

By the way, the link you posted is to an article on Windows 2000. Though it is about event 6008, I don’t think it can be relevant here with absolutely everything changing over time - OS, technology (chips and software) and even BIOS to UEFI.

Again, thank you for your help.

Have a great day! 

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

August 15th, 2022 11:00

Yeah, that was an old one, but it had more info. One for W11, https://windowsreport.com/event-viewer-error-6008/ and it will still point back to the video card driver.

I had an initial problem with Dell pre-loaded video driver from Nvidia. I would boot, desktop would appear and for about 10 seconds the screen would go blank and then the desktop came back. No problems after that (Aug/Sept last year). Dell support, re-install Windows, not the W11 I was on but W10 that was shipped with it after re-installing W11 didn't fix it. Then try Safe Mode, nope... OK, you got the S3221QS new as well, take that to another PC and try it... didn't fail, but the other PC didn't have an Nvidia card... Here, try this new Nvidia driver we have, nope, still happens. OK, replaced Motherboard (went back to the one before the one I had which was the newest) and video card, still happens... OK, we'll send this off to Level 3. Wanted my XPS replaced, nope, past the 30 day window... huh, I had the problem from the first day... sorry, no can do. OK, replace the Nvidia with an ATI, we'll see if we can, nope, can't do.

So I decided to use DDU to completely clean off the Nvidia stuff... and it didn't happen on the MS default LOW resolution driver? Hmmm...... OK, got the latest complete driver from Nvidia, installed it, the Nvidia GEForce and Control panel. Problem GONE...

It might be worth a try doing that, but if you did a clean W11 install using the Media Creation tool it might not be worth it.

Everything in Window starts with DOS, Windows (all versions) and parts of OS/2. Other than DOS and OS/2, nothing else was written completely new (and DOS was from another OS and OS/2 used prior code as well probably).

Error codes usually can be researched as they are the same.

There are more than one of us throwing around different things, and everything tends to wind up at a dead end.

Dell is the one that has the best resources for this, the BIOS code from V2.4.0 and 2.3.0 to compare, and maybe even see what Intel did to change the Management engine?

Also, I just locked up my XPS, was on a ZOOM meeting, went to close the room, one mouse click and it locked up. Room did NOT close (on the screen), and I can't even move the mouse. Hello Power Button. Only the Critical Event 41 (The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly) and my 10 or so 'normal' errors, like Bonjour errors as my iPhone or iPad is not connected.

Annoying to say the least.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

August 15th, 2022 13:00

Thanks for the input. I was on the phone with Dell for over 1 1/2 hours this afternoon. They are replacing my system. I have event logs, from each Windows installation, across 2 different NVMe drives, with events 41(critical) and 6008 (warning), going back to the beginning of March. 

I'm not holding my breath...going to be tough to replace this configuration and I upgraded my system to Windows 10 Pro from home. (So I will likely have to buy another upgrade.)

Good luck with your system. 

31SystemHardFreeze.png

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

August 15th, 2022 16:00

Dell probably doesn't have a 'new' 8940 to give you. It more than likely will be a Refurbished one with at least what you had in your configuration, maybe more  or large RAM or SSD capacity, even a better video card.

Should have pushed for either a new one or one with a different video makers that Nvidia.

I had a chance, but they wanted mine as it fails. I couldn't delete anything and I'd possibly not get the exact configuration, but it will be as good as I have or better. Problem was I could NOT remove anything, no programs, nothing. I have single PC use licenses and would not be allowed to remove programs, a show stopper for me.

The whole problem really no one knows how to make the lock up happen? It is so random and there doesn't appear to be any warning it will happen. If it was known what sequence of things would make it happen, I'm sure it would be easier to fix?

Good luck on the replacement, hope it works for you.

No Events found!