Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2021 09:00

XPS 8940, i9-10900k, GeForce RTX 2060 6GB, don't understand the ports

Hi All,

As above, I had the spec confirmed before placing the order and was advised the system would include an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6. Googling this GPU confirmed that there were 5 ports in total on it - 1 x HDMI, 1 x DVI, 2 x DisplayPort and 1 x USBC. I have 4 displays, so that suited me.

I received the machine earlier and upon unpacking it there are only 3 ports at the back - 1 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort and 1 x DVI. Also its a shorter card with just 1 fan rather than a full depth card with 2 fans. Looks more like a 1650 or 1660 not a 2060.

Have I been sent the wrong build? I haven't removed the card, only removed the side panel to look inside when I realised the port layout didn't look right.

I have submitted a support request too, but just wanted to check that a) I'm not going crazy and b) if anyone else had come across the same

Thanks

16 Posts

March 16th, 2021 10:00

OK, I am happily typing this message on my 4th display which is hooked up to my internal graphics card!

According to Dell Support (who just rang me following a support request) the onboard graphics are automatically enabled from the factory on this machine.

I therefore plugged in my 4th monitor during the call. Initially it said "no input detected" and went back to sleep. However, after a few minutes it sprung to life!

The Dell consultant explained that where there are identical ports on the Nvidia, the internal graphics would not be initially enabled until the identical port was already in use.

However, when I was trying this a few days back, my Nvidia HDMI port was in use, as was my Nvidia DisplayPort, and still the additional monitor plugged into the internal graphics (HDMI) wouldn't work.

I have 2 theories (coming from the PoV of a relatively non-technical background):

1) I didn't wait long enough when testing the internal GPU for it to recognise the display that was plugged in (quite possible, I plugged and then unplugged)

2) The 3rd port on the Nvidia is a DVI. I didn't initially have a DVI cable so that port was unused. My DVI-HDMI cable arrived today so I plugged it in. I wonder if the onboard graphics don't kick in until ALL of the Nvidia ports have been used?

The Dell consultant did say that now the internal graphics have been 'recognised' by the machine, they will always be on. 

I've also tested out disconnecting the DVI monitor and instead plugging it in to the onboard DisplayPort. That seems to work too, which seems to discount my 2nd theory.

I'll probably keep 3 displays plugged into the Graphics Card and only 1 in the internal GPU as the Dell Consultant was at pains to stress that displays plugged into the internal GPU put strain on the CPU, so the more into the Nvidia GPU the better as it has its own dedicated RAM. He also recommended not using the display plugged into the internal GPU for gaming. Not an issue for me, but good to note.

Anyway, all sorted now, and very happy! 

16 Posts

March 12th, 2021 10:00

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I haven't even powered on yet in case I needed to return it (having seen the port issue)

192 Posts

I did enable the onboard video in the BIOS. I set the card as primary and onboard as secondary.

16 Posts

Thanks @JOcean  I checked my service tag and the only reference to the GPU appeared to be:

KNTRF : MOD,CRD,GRPHC,2060,8940

I must admit, I didn't think about a Dell specific RTX 2060.

@68cutlass thanks for that, I didn't realise the onboard ports were still enabled - I've just replaced a faulty custom PC with this one (slightly sorry as the custom one had a Ryzen 9 5900x chip, but it's spent 3 times as long back with the builder to fix issues as it has spent with me!) and on the custom PC the onboard display ports weren't enabled.

If they are on this build then I'm doubly happy! I'm going to be using the machine for work rather than gaming so I only wanted to be able to hook up 4 monitors. Smaller card = less power usage and less heat, right?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

One thing to keep in mind. I am not sure where you looked up the specs but a GPU that Dell uses has, at times, been modified for Dell's use. They do not necessarily match retail versions you can purchase locally or online. If you go to the support home page and type in your service tag number, you can check the configuration of your system as shipped. And an app such as SiSoftware's Sandra will also display your system's info.

192 Posts

You're not crazy That's the ports I have on mine. For 4 displays I used the onboard hdmi port in addition to the card ports.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

March 12th, 2021 11:00

@Zeddicus76 Instead of Googling the GPU you should have looked at the Dell sale site for the XPS 8940. On the site,

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/xps-desktop-special-edition/spd/xps-8940-desktop/xd8940se05s

under Ports & Slots, it lists the ports for the various graphics card available for the XPS 8940. For the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 1xHDMI 2.0b, 1xDP1.4, and 1x Dual Link DVI.

16 Posts

March 12th, 2021 13:00

Thanks @Vic384 , that was a fail by me.

However, if @68cutlass fix works I'm just as happy as I'll have 4 displays working!

16 Posts

March 12th, 2021 14:00

@68cutlass  I'm probably doing something wrong here (!) so hoping you can help.

I've gone into the BIOS, under "Video" I just have options for "Multi-Display" [ticked] and "Primary Display" [was set to auto, I have now changed to make the NVIDIA HD Graphics the primary].

I can't see where I can set the Intel HD Graphics as the secondary display? Help!

Thanks

319 Posts

March 13th, 2021 04:00

As I understand it, all Intel i-series processors include an integrated GPU, which is what supplies the signals to the monitor ports on the motherboard.  I've used ports on both the motherboard and graphics card for monitors on my XPS 8900 and XPS 8940 computers.  On my XPS 8940, I currently have two Dell 24" monitors daisy-chained off the single DisplayPort socket on the graphics card. 

Only the AMD Ryzen processors with a G suffix include an integrated GPU whilst most (all?) motherboards include the rear panel connectors to work with a 'G' processor.  I have just built a computer specifically to run Linux Mint. The processor I've used is the AMD Ryzen 5 3400G and I'm running the computer without a separate graphics card at present.

192 Posts

March 13th, 2021 05:00

@Zeddicus76That's the setting I used. There was no defined option for secondary, just primary. To me secondary was implied. Sorry for the confusion.

March 13th, 2021 21:00

How hot does your new PC run? Is the cooling in it adequate?

319 Posts

March 14th, 2021 04:00

Your i9-10900K should have the larger CPU cooler, so you shouldn't have any problems.  Most of the discussion regarding cooling is with related to the non-K processors fitted with the much inferior 'pancake' CPU cooler.

You could upgrade the rear exhaust fan, but I'd monitor the core and other temperatures in your computer and see if they are OK.  Another common mod is to transfer the HDD, if fitted, to the top caddy position and remove the front caddy to increase the airflow through the case.

16 Posts

March 15th, 2021 01:00

Thanks @68cutlass . I'm a bit confused as I tried that (setting Nvidia to Primary) and still can't get the onboard ports to work.

I have ProSupport, is this the sort of thein they could talk me through over the phone?

16 Posts

March 15th, 2021 01:00

@Moosehead07 as per @Jon-62 , I have the larger cooler, so no heating problems so far. I checked out the issues whilst mine was being built so one of the first things I double checked was the cooler! Hopefully it will be adequate, especially as I don't have a very large GPU.

No Events found!