Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 7th, 2022 21:00

XPS 8950, CPU heating up very fast

I have the new liquid cooling on an i9 with 32 gigs of DDR5 RAM.  When I render a video in Vegas Pro19, the CPU will almost instantly shoot up to 100c...the fans will kick on and then the CPU will usually cool down to the 60's.  The fans will typically shut off before rendering is finished, but the temp seems ok still.  Just the initial, extremely fast ramp up.

I am monitoring this hWinfo x64 to see this.  It also says the internal CPU package is throttling.  The computer seems to be running fine, but the high temps concern me.

Might this be common in a high performance CPU....or?

• 

16.7K Posts

January 13th, 2022 08:00

mixmkr,

We reviewed the case and see that the system parameters are working great. As per the report, the temperature rise is seen only at the start of using the application, and I could not see any further rise in the temperature. This is normal considering the power of the processor installed in the system. We need to worry only if the temperature rises to 100 C and remain at this temperature throughout.

Regarding the thermal throttling, I did not see any unusual behavior here. Thermal throttling can be noticed when the temperature gets higher and this is carried out by the system to keep the temperature under control. Let me know if you are facing any performance issues.

Regarding the Fan speed issue, you can check this directly on the hardware diagnostics page (Restart the system and tap on F12 repeatedly on Dell logo, choose diagnostics. Here, once the test is complete, go to the summary page and check the system health to see the fan speed and temperature).

52 Posts

January 7th, 2022 21:00

Verified with CPUID HWMonitor.   Quick CPU ramp up in cores 0-7 an the remaining 8-15 in mid 80's celcius.

Seems max wattage was 230W as well.  Initial surge heating things up?  One year life span for the i9 CPU?

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

January 7th, 2022 22:00

Although I do not have the I9, my 12700k was getting hot during short stress testing runs. Things seemed to get better after updating the BIOS to 1.0.8, Have you tried that? And, just curious, does your AIO pump make any noise? How loud is your pc in general? I ask because sometimes my pump is loud at idle and load and other times it is quiet. I can hear the computer from over 10 feet away in a quiet room.

52 Posts

My computer is actually very quiet.  I sit right next to it and in idle mode, you can't hear it.  When I was rendering my video and fans ramped up, then I could hear it, but the fans only came on for a short time.  Oddly, I also looked with SPEEDFAN, CPUID HWMonitor and HWiNFO64...and neither of the 3 software monitoring programs detected the front fan and the rear liquid cooling fan.  They saw the GeForce fans, but NOT the Dell fans.  I took the side off to watch under stress and the fans are running slowly in idle and I can't hear them.

Yes, I actually did update the Bios straight from the Dell downloads.

And to repeat...it is JUST the initial CPU temperature spike I am getting.  After a couple seconds it settles in, but more on the hot side of things after actually trying to stress it a couple more times, with video rendering. (Vegas Pro typically uses the CPU for rendering and the GPU is just for playback within the program)  Dell support contacted me and we'll see what they have to say.

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

For what it is worth, my 12700k also has an initial temp spike when stress testing and then it settles in. I have not got a thermal throttle since the Bios update but I do get a power/boost time throttle. I am guessing that is because of intels limits. After the power/boost time throttle the cpu runs pretty much right at 125 watts.

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

January 7th, 2022 23:00

I agree that that it does seem to be a bit on the hot side. I accept it as good because at least it is not the catastrophe that was the 8940 cooling situation. I also agree that the fans do not ramp up much. (Not that I can hear the fans over what appears to be the AIO pump noise.) After hearing how loud they can get when using the diagnostics, it is baffling to me as to why they would even bother putting in such high RPM fans when they will never get up to that speed. Thank you for telling me about the noise levels, Dell is sending the tech out next week to replace a fan or the cooler. I am not sure which, but hopefully the tech will figure out the noise issue. 

52 Posts

January 8th, 2022 09:00

Perfect.  I seem to be getting excellent support via messages from Dell too.  I will keep you updated and good luck with your 8950.  They are "beasts" of a machine! 

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

January 12th, 2022 12:00

Thanks for taking the time to check this out. It is always reassuring to know that things are working correctly with a new PC.

52 Posts

January 12th, 2022 12:00

My rapid CPU heat up is normal with such a powerful processor (i9) and as quickly, cools down to the 60's or so and remains there with heavy stress.  Occasionally it may go higher, but with Dell diagostics and their helpful guidance, I'm enjoying a killer machine and just seeing normal behavior.

11 Posts

August 9th, 2022 21:00

Two i9's & one i7 all non K's are reporting thermal throttling in the Event Logs.  Disappointing Dell.  Probably will need to upgrade the CPU Fan.

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

August 9th, 2022 22:00

Yes, it is a shame that Dell doesn't at least offer the premium tower cooler with the non "K" chips. They definitely need it. The good news is that there are some forum members that have had really good results with some after-market tower coolers, or even installing the premium tower cooler that came with the "K" series chips.

No Events found!