XPS Desktops

Last reply by 07-10-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

XPS 8950, another question about adding Crucial ram

I just bought a XPS 8950 that came with 8GB DDR5, 1X8GB 4400MHz. I just bought from Crucial 16GB DDR5 4800MHz 1X16 GB. Will this work and give me 24GB or ram?  Or should I ditch the  8GB ram that came with the computer and buy another 16GB of ram to get 32GB of ram?

Replies (21)
Community Manager

Unfortunately, no. Once an order has entered the "build" stage, it cannot be changed. You would have to try to contact a Customer Care agent via a private message and cancel the order. Then start all over and order again.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

I think I'm just going to go with plan B.  Buy another 16GB of ram making it 32 GB.  And then slapped back in the 8 GB ram and see if it works. If not no big deal.

Ok, just bought another  16 GB stick from Crucial.  So I will have 2X16 GB.  I've been trying to do my homework so I down loaded the 8950 service manual.  In the manual it says:  

"NOTE: To achieve dual-channel support when installing two memory modules of the same capacity, install the memory modules in DIMM 1 and 2 or DIMM 3 and 4."

So I should stick the 2 sticks of 16 GB ram in slots 1 &2 or 3&4.  Right?

@Bruce Kurtz You should use DIMM1 and DIMM2 (slots with white securing clips) first.

Yes, I found that in the installation manual too.  They will be going in DIMM1 & Dimm2 like you said.  The extra 8GB stick I'll put into DIMM3 , to see if it works.

@Bruce Kurtz Please share the results.  We have seen that 80G (16+64) won't work, we have seen that 48G (16+32) won't work.  We have not seen how it comes for 24G (16+8) yet. Good luck.

I’ll be your huckleberry.  My procedures will be:

• Remove the 8 GB ram
  • Install the 2X16 GB ram in DIMM1 & DIMM2
  • Verify it works
  • Install the 8 GB ram in DIMM3
  • Verify it works

Ok, what happens if it doesn’t work?  Does the system crash?  Will it do anything to the computer, like screw up files etc.?

• If it doesn’t work, remove  8 GB ram in DIMM3and put it into DIMM4.
  • Verify it works
  • If it doesn’t work, remove and put into circular file

If not, it will not pass POST test. So either you see black screen or hear a few beeps, then reboot itself. System won't be able to crash cuz it never gets into a stable state to crash yet.

Thanks, then it is really worth the try then.  My estimated arrival date is 6 July.

Lancelee, it works!  2X16GB in Dimm 1 &2 and 1x8GB in Dimm3 = 40 GB ram

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor