Unsolved

M

26 Posts

October 17th, 2022 06:00

XPS 8950, does not wake from sleep

XPS 8950

XPS 8950

Hi, 

XPS 8950 will not wake from sleep. Have to recycle power to bring it back. Reset all bios settings to default. Did not help.

Mark

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 17th, 2022 11:00

Exactly what do you mean "factories default reset"? Do you mean you reset BIOS to its defaults or did you restore the Dell Windows image?

If you reset BIOS to defaults, you would have set SATA Operation to AHCI. But Dell installs Windows to use RAID. So unless you had previously configured Windows to use AHCI, that could cause problems booting. So check the SATA Operation setting in BIOS...

There is supposed to a USB boot support option in BIOS setup

Is your USB stick formatted FAT32?

How did you make the USB bootable?

Are you connecting it to the PC with power fully off? Then powering on and tapping F12 to open the boot menu?

26 Posts

November 20th, 2022 18:00

And just like that, the problem no longer reproduces.  However, I'm not sure that the system is going to sleep.  Ran powercfg /s and this is the result.

Can anyone confirm that this is what ai want?

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep
The hypervisor does not support this standby state.

Fast Startup
This action is disabled in the current system policy.

Thanks,

Mark Luna

26 Posts

November 20th, 2022 19:00

Update.  Found an article that recommended disabling deep sleep control in bios.  That enabled Standby S3 and Hibernate.  Things are much better now.  Thanks.

Mark Luna

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

November 20th, 2022 20:00

Glad you got it figured out. 

26 Posts

November 30th, 2022 10:00

Wondering.  xps 8950 bios does not have the c states control option.  It's documented as being there.

Mark Luna

26 Posts

December 1st, 2022 15:00

Ok have to share.  I realized that my computer would not wake after the display turned off.  So today I swapped displays the the problem is resolved.  Works like it used to.  Old display was a six year old HP Envy 32 monitor.  

Mark Luna

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 08:00

Thank you for reporting back. It is very helpful to other users that may be having a similar problem.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 2nd, 2022 12:00

@Mluna20  Glad you got it sorted. 

You're saying that old monitor was the problem, correct?  Did it previously work OK with that same old monitor?

26 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 12:00

Yeah it did for a few months.  About rwo months ago it started having different problems.  Main one was nor coming out of sleep.  Also could not boot from usb or optical.  And this is is hard to believe.  I was not able to log in to equifax.  With different monitor all the above problems went away.  

Mark Luna

1 Message

April 8th, 2023 20:00

Currently having same issue with XPS8950.  After 10 weeks from purchase, it began when putting it to sleep.  When I would return to start it up, the power light on desktop would light up and then the whole system shuts down.  It would not turn on.  After unplugging and plugging the units power supply it might start, or I would have to unplug and plug in power supply and eventually it would start.  It would say that the system did not shut off correctly and did I want to try to fix the issue or restart as normal.  I chose the latter and everything seemed to be normal.  The power shutting off occurred each time I put it into a forced sleep mode.  After the fourth tech call, and changing power settings, sleep settings, checking bios and updates, the fourth tech ended up sending the desktop into blue windows error for a stopcode.  They felt only option left was to do a reset and full reload of Windows.  Nothing fixed problems of desktop turning off after a forced sleep.  Would changing the motherboard make a difference or will the same problem return again?  Any ideas on the source causing the issue?

26 Posts

April 8th, 2023 21:00

Hi, for me the problem went away when I got a new monitor.  Te previous monitor worked with an 8940, but it would not work with an 8950.

Mark Luna

2 Posts

September 28th, 2023 12:57

@Geeksan​ Same problem. Dell replaced motherboard, worked for a few months and problem has returned.  No idea.  Only solution I have found is to shut it down after use and then restart when I want to use again.

No Events found!