Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2022 15:00

XPS 8950, graphics add-on

I just bought an 8950 only to find that it will not support 2560 x 1440 graphics that I need for my primary monitor. I use this system for spreadsheets etc., I am not a GAMER. Can anyone help me with an idea as to what I could add to improve the performance that I need? Or would I be better off to just return it and try something else?

Kent

21 Posts

February 19th, 2022 17:00

Thanks for the info. That looks as it would work for me. I can use the DP on the 8950 and one of the hdmi for the secondary monitor. Now I will have to research the BIOS to see if I have to change anything for the two adapters. I also want to switch to Win 11 as soon as I get this display issue out of the way. 

Thanks for the info

21 Posts

February 20th, 2022 09:00

Thank you for the response.

1. YES

2. It is enabled but the current display actions were identical when it was disabled.

3. I can't find any mention of Primary display in the BIOS. (Aptio v1.0.10)

4. The card I chose says power required less than 60w. My PSU is the 460W. and the card has two hdmi ports. I will try the monitor with DP from the 8950 and the other from one of the new board hdmi ports. Or run both monitors from the new board.  Amazon says it is out for delivery. Right now I am sitting writing this on the the secondary monitor while the primary is flashing away. Measured some voltages try to see if there were any wild fluctuations while all this craziness was going on but everything appears to be rock solid. 

Will advise

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 20th, 2022 12:00

You'll probably see that Primary Display option after the new GPU is installed...

21 Posts

February 20th, 2022 14:00

Amazon arrived, installed card, both monitors were working by the time I got to the Display Settings page. No changes to BIOS or my original settings. Both monitors solid performance.

Thanks for all who helped especially "srpawski"

24 Posts

February 20th, 2022 16:00

Awesome to hear.  Are you running DP on the internal and using one of the HDMI outs on the new card then as you anticipated doing?  Also, did you install any AMD drivers, or let Windows do its thing?  My card also came today.  Once I get my second 8940, it is coming with Windows 11 Pro already installed, I will put it in and let you know if there are any issues with it working on 11.  I would think native drivers will make it work fine.

21 Posts

February 20th, 2022 18:00

Yes, DP on the 32" monitor and one of the hdmi from the new card on the 24". As far as the card. I did absolutely nothing except plug it in and turn it on. Everything came right up just like I wanted it. I would appreciate hearing about your WIN11 install. I bought this machine with Win11 installed. I just have to make the change when I get everything else ready.  

Good luck

21 Posts

March 1st, 2022 17:00

Great to hear the good news. I have not pulled the trigger on the W11 yet I am ready to. Seems life gets in the way here and there. The card is working fine for me as well. Thanks for letting me know.

I appreciate your help

No Events found!