Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 19th, 2022 22:00

XPS 8950, i7 liquid cooled, constant loud humming noise from pump

Incredible, I took the time to ask Dell before buying if the liquid cooling will be quieter than the air cooled and IT IS NOT. I can hear it across the room on idle just word processor. A constant engine type pf noise (not fan). Liquid cooling from Dell is not the solution for quiet operation. Does somebody know if I can order a quiet fan and replace the liquid cooling system in the tower? Is it possible to take out the cooling system that came with the XPS 8950 and replace it with a quiet fan and if so which one?

48 Posts

March 19th, 2022 23:00

There are at least dozen threads on this topic. Either search or scroll half page down.

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

March 19th, 2022 23:00

Welcome to the world of an expensive and loud PC. I am in the same situation. Mr_drey has replaced his cooler with a Corsair H80 and has confirmed that it is quieter than the stock AIO and it cools better too. I will be following his lead and replace mine with an H80 in the near future.

16 Posts

May 16th, 2022 12:00

I've gone through 3 Dell replacement AIOs and now just bought a Corsair H60 which is only slightly less loud.  45 decibels at idle.  I'm going to explore quiet traditional fan coolers as an alternative.  This is nuts!

16 Posts

November 8th, 2022 11:00

Update - the Corsair ended up throwing an error message on boot so it wasn't a viable option.  I ultimately shipped the computer back to Dell for repairs and when it was returned with yet another liquid cooler, the unacceptably loud noise continued.  I ended up getting rid of the computer and bought a different product to replace it.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

November 8th, 2022 13:00

Liquid cooling done right should be very quiet . . . since that is one of the primary reasons for doing it.

5 Posts

December 9th, 2022 15:00

Got one yesterday, i7 and liquid cooling. Unacceptable noise, I think this is going back.

No Events found!