Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 26th, 2022 06:00

XPS 8950, making croaking noise

Hello, recently bought an XPS 8950, i712700, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 3060, SSD boot drive.  The fans are quiet enough for my liking but when I'm playing a game or sometimes streaming a video (but to a lesser extent), the computer makes a noise that sounds something like a frog croaking, repeatedly.  It sounds similar to a hard drive being accessed only it's quite loud.  Not really bothered by it but I had read many reviews before buying this comp and many people talked about fan noise but no one mentioned the croaking noise, so I'm wondering if something is wrong.  Is it a normal sound or do I have a cable touching a fan?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 27th, 2022 14:00

I'm not sure what Dell gives you to control the fans on a Nvidia-3060 in a XPS-8950.

If you can't find anything, I suppose you can use MSI After-Burner. That's what most of us use on our Alienwares and custom-builds.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 26th, 2022 10:00

I suggest you run it with the side-cover removed temporarily. You can check for wires in fans. Run it like that and see if you can isolate which part is making the strange noises.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 27th, 2022 12:00

@justinfranchi  Does your PC have liquid cooling?

September 27th, 2022 14:00

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I have ran my computer with the panel off and figured out that the noise is coming from the two fans under the graphics card starting up again after stopping.  When doing something graphically intense, the fans will start and stop every few seconds once the card starts to heat up (took about ten minutes of playing a game).  The other three fans are whisper quiet.  Is this normal?  Is there some setting I can change so they won't run at such short intervals?  And no Rohe I only have air cooling.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 27th, 2022 15:00

What version of BIOS is installed? v1.6.0 is latest and "Improved the stability of the system", which is totally vague...

There is a "Fan Control Override" option in BIOS. Don't know what it does, or if it affects chassis and/or CPU fans.

September 27th, 2022 15:00

Yeah I'm reading about that now, thanks.  I'll head on over to Nvidia for further support.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 27th, 2022 18:00

@justinfranchi wrote:

Yeah I'm reading about that now, thanks.  I'll head on over to Nvidia for further support.

With a recent model Nvidia card like the 3060, you can install the latest WHQL Game-Ready driver. If you don't game (ever) you can install the latest WHQL Studio-Driver.

But MSI AfterBurner, you can get that here: 

https://www.msi.com/page/AFTERBURNER

(the downloads are at the bottom of the page).

or here

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4895-msi-afterburner.html

September 27th, 2022 18:00

Hi all.  Updating the BIOS actually helped somewhat noticeably, but not entirely solved the problem.  I've downloaded afterburner though and now the problem is all but gone when it's running.  Fans run smoothly and continuously while I'm gaming, and the temp never got above 45 Celsius I think.  Strangely, when my game was loading a new level is when the fans were starting and stopping again... don't know what to say about that.  Appreciate all the help!  Hopefully I won't be back here...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 28th, 2022 10:00

Glad that BIOS update helped solve the problem and Afterburner helped too.

Maybe you should also contact the game company and/or post on NVidia's forum...

No Events found!