Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

14 Posts

August 23rd, 2019 20:00

XPS Coming out of sleep, monitor takes 29 seconds to wake-up, is this normal?

I have a XPS 8930 with an i7, Nvdia GTX 1060 6GB graphics card. I recently got a Viewsonic XG3220 4K monitor. Coming out of sleep it takes the monitor 29 seconds to power up, is this normal? My 8 year old laptop is almost instant. Previously I have been running a TV for a monitor and thought the delay was the TV, now that I got a real monitor it takes the same amount of time. From a CPU power up (not sleeping) the monitor shows the DELL emblem in 15 seconds and finishes the boot in 35 seconds. Wondering if I should call Dell before my warranty expires.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 23rd, 2019 22:00

Try a (native) DisplayPort instead of using HDMI. Meaning, a DisplayPort cable into the DisplayPort ports.

14 Posts

August 24th, 2019 05:00

I am using the DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor.

2.5K Posts

August 24th, 2019 05:00

welcome to Energy Star  devices, learn that newer devices, now have a newer deeper sleep. (usa fed laws...yah) global worming(sic) and all that.?

even monitors down to 2watts super deep sleep. and PC's and even GPU cards.

if you dont like the delay change the power settings in your PC, window control panel. power settings.

in all cases we first make sure  all drivers for all things in the PC are current,  if not sleep modes love to fail.

then change the setting what you want.

there are s0 to s5 power modes, in the hardware..  ok.?

set it as you like.

sleep

hibernate

or hybrid  mode.

Microsoft documents all this sleep stuff.  if you go there and read how.

it's not a bub, it's a FEATURE !

the longest recovery is if the RAM is cleared and then the PC must recover from hdd, swap files,!!

not counting true cold boot you dont know how to use yet, or turn on. (fast boot off) ( the most slow of all and far worse on any HDD)

try reading this first

https://www.windowsdigital.com/sleep-vs-hibernation-windows-10/

if using say SSD main drive, SSD0 and you used deep hiberate mode, it will recover 10 or MORE

times faster  than any HDD on earth(hdd  is slug) so making alien PC comparisons is not fair is it.>?

learn to use power modes now even google that, get 1million hits.

I call this  cockpit error , .... if a PC is super old and has HDD the HDD can be  bad. (and will be even more slow)

if all this is painful why not turn it all off. (even use presentation mode like I use)

some call this the freeze ,etc. see the 13 cherry picked custom power settings at the end of linked page.

set it as YOU like,ok>? it is a FEATURE. not a bug

http://www.pcdied.com/freeze/freeze.html

that is al there is on sleep, on old PCs we can go all day long fixing that, lack of drivers for w10 and worse bad HDD.  but ill skip that.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 24th, 2019 20:00

< I am using the DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor.

Hmm. Well, it's probably time to try it on a different computer, and

try a more-normal conventional DP or DVI computer monitor on the XPS .

... see where the problem follows.

My best (real / computer-class) monitor is my:

Dell 27" u2717D UltraSharp Infinity-Edge IPS 16:9 QHD (1440p) Monitor

It's been on for years now. It goes to-sleep often. It wakes in about 2 seconds. Same with my Dell u2410 .

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 25th, 2019 14:00

Is it going to sleep or into hibernation?

You can try changing some of the Power settings in the active Win 10 power plan. Open the Win 10 Power options screen and ID the active power plan. Click the link to change its settings and on next screen, click the link for Additional Options.

On that screen, disable hibernation, disable hybrid sleep and disable PCI Express Link State Management.  Save the changes to the power plan and reboot.

See if that helps...

No Events found!