Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

2 Posts

May 21st, 2018 16:00

XPS One 2710 Black Screen after BIOS update

Hi - I have a Dell XPS One 2710 all in one that has worked well for many years and is now out of warranty. I have kept up with all suggested updates. Dell recently started sending an "Urgent" update for BIOS but I had been traveling so had not had a chance to run it. Last night, we finally ran it. Once it finished and rebooted, I got the black screen and can't do anything. The fans are running and I can hit the three touch keys that switch from computer to hdmi. The screen seems fine. So, it seems I have a similar issue that others have had. Called Dell support but they say it is not a "Known Issue" and a coincidence that the issue started after the update. They want me to spend $60 to send it to them to run a Diagnostic check at which point they will tell me what is wrong and how much to fix it. I suspect based on reading other posts, they will want to replace the mother board.  I asked about trying to do the BIOS recovery but they told me that was not possible and would not solve the issue. I am not very technical when it comes to hardware. So, I am most likely going to send it to them. But, I am irritated to have to give them $$$ for a problem that their update appears to have created. Any advice? (I have been a loyal Dell customer since I purchased my first PC many (many!) years ago. At this point, I will probably go to another brand.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 21st, 2018 17:00

Version of Windows?

Read this about Dell's BIOS update policy.

And before you send it back, you should ask if a replacement motherboard is available from Dell for the XPS 2710 or not.

A while back when users had motherboard issues after updating the XPS 2710 to Win 10, they had a hard time getting a replacement board because Dell was out of stock. No point paying for diagnosis if the board isn't available, assuming that's the problem here, unless you're willing to go to a 3rd party for a (refurbished) board and have a geeky friend or local PC shop swap it for you.

There's an off-chance that clearing BIOS by removing the motherboard battery might  solve the problem. So maybe a geeky friend or a local PC shop, can clear BIOS for you. And if that doesn't help, you're likely going to need a new motherboard...

Instructions to remove the battery are in the Service Manual. After it's removed, press/hold power button for ~30 sec and then reinstall it (maybe time for a fresh one?).

2 Posts

Windows 8.

Thanks for the article.  I am out of warranty. It says "If a Dell Support representative directs you to update the BIOS, and it broke the motherboard CMOS, you are eligible for a one time only out of warranty motherboard replacement."

A person didn't tell me to do it. But, they sent an "Urgent" update. Wouldn't that count as Support telling me to do it?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

If their software directed you to update BIOS, I would consider that as Tech Support having told you to do it. BUT...I don't  work for Dell...

Suggest you contact Tech Support again and, if necessary, direct them to that same link, and make it very clear that (whichever) Dell software told you to perform the update.

Just keep in mind that the exception in the BIOS policy clearly says:
Dell will only have motherboards available for 5 years from the original system RTS (Ready To Ship) date. If you are past this 5 year period, you will need to purchase the motherboard from a 3rd party seller.

So even if the BIOS update recommended by their software may have bricked the motherboard, if the PC model is >5 years old...  :Crying:

No Events found!