Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 21st, 2019 02:00

XPS One 2710, SSD upgrade, #5

I have a dell XPS One 2710, I am trying to swap the Hard Drive with a SSD, but it doesn’t let me. I tried the AHCI for SATA setting, Legacy Boot, UEFI, nothing works. I also updated all the Chipsets and Bios. Any ideas? Trying to install Windows 7 professional sp1

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 21st, 2019 12:00

@David Gra wrote:

1. if I buy a mSATA SSD and put it in the mSATA, will that work or not?

2. because right now it has 32GB Samsung. and what if I take that out and not use it?

1. It should, but I would not because mSATA is obsolete form-factor. Also, not any faster than SATA-3/600 (like your 2.5inch SSD).

2. Well, that should have been removed already. Stop playing Intel-RST baby-raid cache-HDD games. Also likely why your new SSD is not working as expected.

Almost always ... you clean install Windows to a system with only one drive connected at install time.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

December 21st, 2019 04:00

Is your SSD a 2.5" SATA SSD or is it a mSATA SSD? Do you see the SSD listed in the BIOS? What do you mean by it doesn't let me? Are you able to boot the Windows 7 installation CD?

2.5K Posts

December 21st, 2019 04:00

name the SSD you bought  ( exactly) even a URL link to one sold like yours.

where did you plug it in,

are you cloning HDD to SSD?

or is this fresh install of w10?  surly not w7 that goes, to zero support next month.

tell what steps you took and which step failed (won't ;let me)

an 8 year AIO, try a new coin cell bettery this old? it's due.

why not fresh install w10? (this PC has w8.1 drivers, so those should be ok for w10)

i5 or i7 gen3 cpu

and this spec

• SATA 3.0
  • mSATA

Hard drives

one

Drives supported

one 3.5-inch hard drive

Solid-state drives (SSD) (optional)

one mSATA SSD

Drives supported

one SSD with Intel Smart Cache support

Optical drives

one slot-load drive

Drives supported

• DVD+/- RW
  • Blu-ray reader and DVD+/-RW combo

December 21st, 2019 11:00

I bought a Kingston A400 240GB 2.5” SSD. I took out the HDD and replaced it with the SSD. No, I’m not cloning the HDD. I am installing a fresh windows from a bootable Flash Drive. The reason I’m doing Windows 7 is that I’ve been reading that some people after updating to Windows 10 have  boot issues and some get blue screen. The issue is that when the Windows installer comes to the page to choose the disk, it gives me an error that driver is not available. It’s i7 3770S 

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

Your problem may be that Windows 7 installation is lacking motherboard storage controller drivers. See this article which offers possible solutions: https://appuals.com/fix-no-hard-drives-found-windows-7-installer/

My SSD is 2.5”, not mSATA SSD. Yes it is listed in bios. The windows 7 installer boots but when it goes to the page to choose the driver where it is going to install Windows, it gives me an error saying the driver is not present. 

Thank you, but I have already tried all of those. I have a question, if I buy a mSATA SSD and put it in the mSATA, will that work or not? because right now it has 32GB Samsung. and what if I take that out and not use it?

December 21st, 2019 13:00

Thank you so much, after removing the mSATA, and removing the coin battery and putting it back everything worked perfectly. I really appreciate it.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

December 21st, 2019 13:00

Can you tell us what exactly the error message states about the driver that is missing?

No Events found!