Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

10 Posts

June 26th, 2018 11:00

XPS One 2710, Windows 10?

Okay, so anyone who knows about the XPS 2710 knows it was had some issues with the black screen of death due to BIOS/firmware issues with Win 10.  

Dell has never verified that is AIO is compatible with Win 10.  

This is a very nice computer and I would like to continue to use it, although I truly cannot stand Win 8.1. 

Dell has released a new BIOS for this machine recently as of March 2018.

My question is, is there a chance the new BIOS will prevent this machine from bricking if I install Win 10?  Looking at the description of the driver it looks like it was built to prevent another issue, possibly non-related to the Black screen of death so many people have encountered after upgrading this machine to Win 10. 

This is from the driver details page in the link above.  "Fixes:
- Updated to the latest CPU microcode to address CVE-2017-5715 and associated Intel Reboot issue."

So long story short, I really need to run Win 10 and I was wondering if anyone confirm/deny or make an educated guess on whether or not this new A13 would possibly prevent this XPS One 2710 AIO from bricking.

Alternatively, the other question i would have would be, Does anyone know how to make this machine work with Win 10?  Is there a work around or way to permanently defer from any updates to BIOS, to prevent the BIOS from getting corrupted, again?! 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 26th, 2018 12:00

@kevinak907 wrote:

1. Okay, so anyone who knows about the XPS 2710 knows it was had some issues with the black screen of death due to BIOS/firmware issues with Win 10.  

2. Dell has never verified that is AIO is compatible with Win 10.  

3. My question is, is there a chance the new BIOS will prevent this machine from bricking if I install Win 10? 

1. That's not "bricking". Bricking is killing forever dead.

2. Then you are on your own. However, I've successfully taken many old machines (Dells and others) to Windows-10/64bit that are not on "the lists". They work fine.

3. It's doubtful that BIOS is for Windows-10 compatibility. It looks like it might be for Spectre. However, for them to be releasing a BIOS update ... and you have a serious problem ... it's up to you if you want to try.

Now, when flashing a BIOS on an old machine ... that is when you DO HAVE a BRICKING-RISK. You might want to try it like this outside of Windows.

https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/m-p/6071757/highlight/true#M1311

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 26th, 2018 12:00

Considering the age of this system, it may run Win 10.  How well? But since its running 8.1 Win 10 should work.

I would image the entire existing drive (all partitions) to a different drive using a program such as the free (and popular) Macrium Reflect.  Then install Win 10 and see how it works.  If its a "no go" you have the disc image from 8.1 to easily go back.  

As far as any other updates, don't install the Dell support software then there won't be any automatic Dell updates. As Dell only supports XP/Vista/Win7 drivers there is no need for the Dell support software.

Macrium Reflect free version:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

How to download and create a bootable Win 10 using the media creation tool (if you don't have it).

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 26th, 2018 14:00

This 2012 PC was only validated for Windows 7/8/8.1. So the lack of a Windows 10 Intel H77 Express Chipset could stop many drivers from installing. That is IF you can even find Windows 10 drivers for the components. We were forced to release that March 2018 A13 BIOS to address the hyped up Meltdown/Spectre thing. Prior to that, the last BIOS we released was October 2013. So no, A13 has nothing to do with Windows 10.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 26th, 2018 19:00

If you hate Win 8.1 so much, have you considered installing the free Classic Shell which will make Win 8.1 look and work just like Win 7?

I use Classic Shell on my Win 8.1 laptop and I like it even better than Win 10 on my other PC.

1 Message

June 30th, 2018 22:00

Well, I had Windows 10 and did the prompted Bios A13 update and now it's more or less a brick that lights up a little and makes a fan noise.

10 Posts

July 4th, 2018 13:00

Thank you!  :-).  I was able to fix my "brick" for under $20 thanks to a BIOS chip from ebay, the service manual and a friend who does soldering.Screenshot (6).png

10 Posts

@RoHe wrote:

If you hate Win 8.1 so much, have you considered installing the free Classic Shell which will make Win 8.1 look and work just like Win 7?

I use Classic Shell on my Win 8.1 laptop and I like it even better than Win 10 on my other PC.

I don't hate 8.1 but it seems dysfunctional when you are used to using win 10.

I have tried the Classic Shell and it looks like that will be a backwards happy medium solution.  Thank you!

10 Posts

@Tesla1856 wrote:

@kevinak907 wrote:

1. Okay, so anyone who knows about the XPS 2710 knows it was had some issues with the black screen of death due to BIOS/firmware issues with Win 10.  

2. Dell has never verified that is AIO is compatible with Win 10.  

3. My question is, is there a chance the new BIOS will prevent this machine from bricking if I install Win 10? 

1. That's not "bricking". Bricking is killing forever dead.

2. Then you are on your own. However, I've successfully taken many old machines (Dells and others) to Windows-10/64bit that are not on "the lists". They work fine.

3. It's doubtful that BIOS is for Windows-10 compatibility. It looks like it might be for Spectre. However, for them to be releasing a BIOS update ... and you have a serious problem ... it's up to you if you want to try.

Now, when flashing a BIOS on an old machine ... that is when you DO HAVE a BRICKING-RISK. You might want to try it like this outside of Windows.

https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/m-p/6071757/highlight/true#M1311

Thanks for the reply:

If the definition of "bricking" was killing dead gone forever eternally then the term "un-bricking" would not exist. 

I had to solder on a new BIOS chip after I installed 10 to fix my PC, essentially un-bricking it.

I too have installed 10 on tons of devices that were 7/8 OOB and had no issues.  But this system does not appear to be friendly with 10.

10 Posts

@fireberd wrote:

Considering the age of this system, it may run Win 10.  How well? But since its running 8.1 Win 10 should work.

I would image the entire existing drive (all partitions) to a different drive using a program such as the free (and popular) Macrium Reflect.  Then install Win 10 and see how it works.  If its a "no go" you have the disc image from 8.1 to easily go back.  

As far as any other updates, don't install the Dell support software then there won't be any automatic Dell updates. As Dell only supports XP/Vista/Win7 drivers there is no need for the Dell support software.

Macrium Reflect free version:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

How to download and create a bootable Win 10 using the media creation tool (if you don't have it).

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

Thanks for your reply.

-It runs 10 fine with a Quad-core i7, 16GB RAM and SSD.  Hardware specs are as current as can be.

-You can't re-image a machine that will not even POST/Can't get into BIOS to do anything. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 4th, 2018 15:00

IMHO, stay away from any further BIOS updates.  And disable SupportAssist software so it won't be nagging you about installing any of them. :Wink:

As I said, I like win 8.1+Classic Shell better than Win 10 on my two identical Inspiron laptops. So hope it works out well for you too.

Please mark this thread as Answered - Thanks!

August 23rd, 2019 08:00

No Events found!