Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

3 Posts

July 19th, 2018 17:00

XPS One 2710, black screen of death

I am helping a friend repair subject computer. The original config was I7, 2TB HDD, 8GB RAM, A09 BIOS, Win8. When I got it it had been upgraded to Win10.

The symptoms are intermittently not booting (black SOD), or freezing after boot.

What I have done: 1) Updated BIOS to A14  2) Ran embedded diags and got a HDD error

A lot of these posts regarding the 2710 and boot problems repeatedly point to Win10 as the problem, but I do not think so. Following the manual I removed the back cover, the stand, and then the HDD. I found the drive to be way too warm (hot). This does not surprise me though since there is VERY LITTLE air flow to the enclosed bay located behind the stand plate. I feel like the true problem is a design issue which is not providing enough cooling.

I think the original HDD is already damaged beyond saving, so I have purchased a new ST2000DM-006 to replace the failed ST2000DM-001. My concern is that the new drive will also suffer premature failure if the heat problem is not solved.

Has Dell addressed this with a retro-fit or tech fix to improve cooling?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 19th, 2018 19:00

@Robc57 wrote:

Has Dell addressed this with a retro-fit or tech fix to improve cooling?

Nothing for this model, but it sounds old. Newer AiO models might have better HDD cooling.

I would have installed a 2.5inch SSD instead. Runs cooler, less power, completely silent, and MUCH faster.

High SSD IOPS will help make-up for old CPU/GPU/RAM.

EDITED.

3 Posts

July 21st, 2018 11:00

Nice idea...alas, too late :(

New HDD arrives tomorrow. Am going to install "OpenHardwareMonitor" and keep an eye on HDD temp as compared to identical drive in my home made machine. If temp is not in keeping with norms (currently 96.8F) I will modify the drive enclosure until I find a solution. Thanx for the comment!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 21st, 2018 13:00

@Robc57 wrote:

Nice idea...alas, too late :(

If you can't return it, spinning HDD can be used anywhere (data-drive in another build) or maybe in a USB-Enclosure for data-files or scheduled backups.

See my edited Reply above. Also this:

https://dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Dell-Inspiron-24-3475-AIO-Brutal/m-p/6116227/highlight/true#M6145

Your friend will be much happier with the result, and it will serve as the one-last upgrade for this machine (until it's retired).

No Events found!