Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

5 Posts

October 29th, 2020 13:00

XPS One 2710, won't boot after A14 BIOS update

I updated 2012 XPS One 2710 BIOS from A12 to A14. Now PC is in restarting cycle, start 1-2 sec, then off, and then again start 1-2 sec then off. What happened? What can I do?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 29th, 2020 14:00

Corrupted BIOS and most except very latest Dell's there is no recovery other than replace the motherboard.

Here is the link to the Dell BIOS recovery on models that have it.

Dell's policy on failed BIOS:

Dell Policy, BIOS breaks motherboard CMOS

In warranty customers

If a Dell Support representative directs you to update the BIOS, and it broke the motherboard CMOS, Dell will replace the motherboard.
Stipulations =
* The service itself could be either onsite service or Return to Dell Depot, depending on which warranty you purchased

If you updated the BIOS without any direction from a Dell Support representative, and it broke the motherboard CMOS, Dell will do a one time only motherboard replacement.
Stipulations =
* The service itself could be either onsite service or Return to Dell Depot, depending on which warranty you purchased
* We will then ask you to not install any BIOS update unless you contact us first and have us guide you

Out of warranty customers

If a Dell Support representative directs you to update the BIOS, and it broke the motherboard CMOS, you are eligible for a one time only out of warranty motherboard replacement.
Stipulations =
* This is a one time only offering
* This is a parts only service. Dell will not send on onsite technician
* Dell will only have motherboards available for 5 years from the original system RTS (Ready To Ship) date. If you are past this 5 year period, you will need to purchase the motherboard from a 3rd party seller

If you updated the BIOS without any direction from Dell Support representative, and the BIOS update broke the motherboard CMOS, you have to buy the replacement motherboard either from Dell or a 3rd party seller.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 29th, 2020 15:00

@mpower78  - Is this a 2710 or 2720?

You could try clearing BIOS...

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check model-specific Service Manual for details)
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall the battery (Time for a fresh battery?)
  6. Close up and reboot - with fingers x'd 

5 Posts

November 4th, 2020 09:00

I tried it.. but really strange it works...

1 of 10 times boot process work... between boot i tried remove cmos battery, change memory slot ... i don't know why sometimes boot and often no...

5 Posts

November 4th, 2020 10:00

After many tests i have result...

When i want to boot. I have to change memory configuration.. it means change memory from slot 1 to slot 2... or the other way. Then when i turn off computer using "windows power off" PC not boot anymore.

Any idea?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 4th, 2020 11:00

Did you install a fresh motherboard battery?

Remove the RAM modules and use some canned air to blow out the RAM slots. And use a soft, lint-free cloth to gently wipe the connector on the RAM modules before reinstalling them and locking in place.

5 Posts

January 29th, 2021 04:00

I found the solution for boot... turn off pc, unplug power cable, change memory modules and boot... then i can go to bios... , and continue to boot. after work when i off PC, again i can't boot. so change momery modules helps... but i don't want change memory every time i off my pc... any help?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 29th, 2021 10:00

@mpower78  - Did you replace the motherboard battery, as I mentioned above?

How many RAM modules do you have? If more than one, try each one separately. When only one RAM module is installed, it should be in the slot closest to the CPU (DIMM1). 

Use some canned air to clean out the RAM slots and gently wipe the contacts on the module(s) with lint-free cloth.

5 Posts

January 31st, 2021 03:00

@RoHe yes, I did every mentioned steps. Use separate memory, reset CMOS by jumper on board, change battery, (load defaults by bios GUI)...

when i change memory slots, PC start... but when i turn it off and then back turn on, PC is repeatedly turn off, turn on, turn off, turn on...3 sec intervals, none beeps.

so as i mentioned above, unplug from power, change memory slot, or unplug one memory, then plug power again and power on, pc start correctly...

i think there are two bios on board (that's my knowledge, main and backup) and when i change memory,  backup bios work.. after turn off pc and try to turn on again, pc want to use main bios and it doesn't work...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 31st, 2021 13:00

There aren't 2 separate BIOS on the motherboard. The default settings are stored on the chip. If you manually change and save new settings, those are stored and used unless/until you clear BIOS, which resets everything back to the defaults again.

Unless you intentionally reset BIOS or the battery is too weak to hold any settings changed from the defaults, just swapping RAM modules shouldn't BIOS change settings.

It sounding like there may be a fault the way BIOS got updated, or with the memory controller or maybe with a RAM module.

Have you rebooted and run the diagnostics from the F12 boot menu?

1 Message

February 9th, 2021 12:00

I have the exact sane problem

updated bios 

only ram change fixes boot for 1 time 

is there anyway I can revert the update 

It says on the driver website Urgent for the bios update 

And how that I have adheared to dell advice my pc is broken 

How can this be resolved ?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 9th, 2021 14:00

I pinged my Dell contacts...

513 Posts

February 10th, 2021 16:00

Was this update on Windows Update or did you update from Dell website?

December 3rd, 2021 05:00

I have the exact same issue, contacted Dell and response is system is old and not covered etc etc..

But such a shame as it was a great piece of kit, surely DELL can step in and help, these systems were not cheap and BIOS update from dells site has ruined my system! 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 3rd, 2021 12:00

@Galaxy0906 - What version of Windows was running?

Did you try clearing BIOS as I posted on page 1 of this thread?

Instructions to remove the battery are in the Service Manual here.  (NOTE: link is not to a Dell support page because the Service Manual isn't currently available on Dell's site.)  And install a fresh battery while you're clearing BIOS.

You could try to force a BIOS downgrade by creating a bootable USB stick using Rufus (free). Download Rufus onto any PC. Plug in an empty USB and launch Rufus. Under "Boot Selection", select "FreeDOS". Check to make sure that "FAT32" is selected under "File System".

Next, download the prior BIOS version (BIOS v13) onto that stick. You will have to rename the file  you download to something shorter before you can use it because the file name XPS_One_2710_A13.EXE is too long. You can rename it to BIOSA13.exe, as one example.

With XPS 2710 powered off, plug the USB into the PC. Then power on and immediately start tapping F12. Assuming the F12 menu opens, select the option to boot from USB. When it gets to the "DOS prompt", type in the exact name you gave to the file that's on the USB, including .exe and press Enter.

It may -or not- let you downgrade, and you do this entirely at your own risk...

December 5th, 2021 09:00

thank you Rohe, iwill give it a try!   much appreciated 

No Events found!