Highlighted
Computer bot
1 Nickel

XPS One 2720, upgrade my CPU and SSD?

Jump to solution

I have two questions.

1. Can I upgrade my CPU?

I have a XPS 2720 and this machine has a i5-4440s and I'm wondering if I can upgrade this? I looked online that some XPS 2720 has a i7-4770s. Can I upgrade my i5-4440s to a i7-4770s? 

2.Can I upgrade my HDD to an SSD?

My XPS 2720 currently has a HDD with 1TB and I want to upgrade it to an SSD with 500GB because sometimes when I use the computer, it randomly just slows down and one of my friends told me that the HDD is causing the problem and that I should upgrade to an SSD.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
savvy2
3 Silver

Re: XPS One 2720, upgrade my CPU and SSD?

Jump to solution

put the 2.5" sdd in the 3.5 hdd tray, any ssd works here for sure CruCIAL.

THE M.2 SLOT THERE ARE 2, ARE BOTH EMPTY/

then load w10 fresh, the CPU change is useless, you have nice gen4 cpu now why mess with that.? ever.

I am not Dell, I am retired from this industry since 2009,
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

I can't really give you any guidance as to changing out a processor except to say my system has an i7-4790S.

As far as the drive, your system came originally with a 32 GB mSATA drive used in a RAID configuration to speed up the large HDD.  Before you try changing the configuration, you might confirm that configuration is still in place and functioning.  Open the Intel utility and look to see if acceleration is enabled.

If you decide to change the drive, it would be best to undo the acceleration configuration so you could remove the 32 GB mSATA drive if you wanted.  It can be reconfigured if you change your mind.

I have not tried to put an SSD in the HDD slot so not certain about an size considerations.  You can check the service manual to see if a thinner drive would cause connection or install problems.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
savvy2
3 Silver

Jump to solution

its and ALL IN ONE  PC, leave the CPU alone, there is no gain there but no Jobs stated, Gaming , ? name a game. if one. is a dream. 2013 made.  4th gen intel CPU so is not older chopped liver.

Intel H87 Express Chipset (good)

would you not look first see what is inside, who knows, PCs get change in time. upgrades,

look first. see if that slot M.2 on mobo   2 slots there,  what is there now? I think 2nd is smart cash only

so buy new SDD and fit it inside PC, with adaptors (phy case)2.5 ssd to 3.5sdd carrier.

load W10 fresh.

Most PC that are older with M.2 have limits on that M.2 slot. and  some contentions on SATA ports.

upgrade the HDD to SSD, just about any works,  for sure crucial,  for sure 500GB there is no limit that sized.

not sure if the m.2 main will boot but my guess is yes but how big it can be IDK.

0 Kudos
savvy2
3 Silver

Jump to solution

put the 2.5" sdd in the 3.5 hdd tray, any ssd works here for sure CruCIAL.

THE M.2 SLOT THERE ARE 2, ARE BOTH EMPTY/

then load w10 fresh, the CPU change is useless, you have nice gen4 cpu now why mess with that.? ever.

0 Kudos