Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 29th, 2018 10:00

XPS One 2720, upgraded both HDD

Service Tag 

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A15, 5/25/2018

I upgraded the original 32GB mSATA SSD installed on the motherboard.  I replaced it with 1TB Samsung 840 EVO MZ-MTE1T0BW mSATA Internal SSD. Purchased from DiscTech LLC on Amazon. I think it might have been a refurbished product.  This new 1TB mSATA SSD drive on the motherboard socket works fine.

But then I upgraded the original 2TB hard drive with a 4TB as follows:

Seagate 4TB Barracuda Sata 6GB/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 15mm Internal Bare/OEM Hard Drive (ST4000LM024)

System still works fine except for some reason I wound up with only 2TB in the new C: drive even though the BIOS recognized the 4TB hard drive including manufacturer etc.

Any help or suggestions?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 30th, 2018 20:00

Windows 10 Home is fine since it's 64-Bit version.

Be sure AiO-2720 is booting in UEFI-Mode

"DiskPart Clean" the 4tb HDD (to make it RAW again)

At this point, it should show in BIOS, and at correct size.

In Windows-10 it will be re-detected in Disk Management

Select GPT this time.

One large partition should be fine

Format as NTFS.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 1st, 2018 22:00

@jimmy_jawbone wrote:

PS

1. I'm almost certain BIOS is booting in UEFI-Mode.  I'll double check and take some pics with my phone next time I reboot so I can keep a record.

2. My BIOS did detect the size, brand, model of the new of the 4TB. 

3. But I understand that I need to reformat to GPT instead of MBR to use the larger disk in Windows.  I don't know if that happens with DiskPart in the Command Prompt or after I reinstall Windows 10.

1. Good idea. Must be UEFI.

2. Good.

3. Right. DiskPart is not so bad. You just have to be sure the proper disk is selected before you "clean" it to make it raw. Only a raw (or uninitialized) disk is prompted for choice of MBR or GPT.

---------------------------------From my notes-----------------------

1.Start an elevated command prompt. See Running an elevated command prompt for more information.

2.Type: diskpart

3.Type: list disk

4.Identify the disk number of your 4tb disk.

Note: Please ensure that you correctly identify your 4tb disk.

5.Type: select disk

Where is the number of the disk previously identified as being the 4tb disk. Confirm that the current disk selection is correct by typing in detail disk, this will show information relating to the currently selected disk.

Note: Please be certain you have the disk selection correct before proceeding to the next step. Otherwise, you erase the wrong disk.

6.Type: clean

This erases all data on the 4tb disk.

You are done. Exit DiskPart properly and reboot.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

August 29th, 2018 12:00

We can't help without knowing what model computer and OS you have. 

August 29th, 2018 13:00

Excellent point.  Dell XPS One 2720. Thanks!

August 31st, 2018 13:00

Thanks very much. 

I'm not afraid of this suggestion but I have only used a command prompt a few times since my DOS days literally 30 years ago BW (Before Windows).  Even then I didn't do much except launch wordperfect etc.  

I'm reading articles now on windows central and seagate web sites.  I might have a few questions. 

Or perhaps you have a few suggestions for a relatively non-advanced user?  I'm pleased with my work so far since most articles in the community and support said it's not possible.  I think many owners would love to upgrade the mSATA SSD drive on the motherboard and that part was kind of easy.

I've read articles about installing Win10 on the SSD drive and using the large drive just for storage.  I don't know how to do that or even if it's a good idea.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 31st, 2018 14:00

@jimmy_jawbone wrote:

I've read articles about installing Win10 on the SSD drive and using the large drive just for storage.  I don't know how to do that or even if it's a good idea.

With a 1tb SSD you have plenty of room on C: (for Windows, all programs, all Apps, and some large game installs) but yes, it's a common practice to then put large data files on D: (or other place or drive).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 31st, 2018 14:00

@jimmy_jawbone wrote:

I'm not afraid of this suggestion but I have only used a command prompt a few times since my DOS days literally 30 years ago BW (Before Windows).   

I'm reading articles now on windows central and seagate web sites.  I might have a few questions. 

Or perhaps you have a few suggestions for a relatively non-advanced user? 

What part are you apprehensive about? Using DiskPart?

August 31st, 2018 23:00

PS

I'm almost certain BIOS is booting in UEFI-Mode.  I'll double check and take some pics with my phone next time I reboot so I can keep a record.

My BIOS did detect the size, brand, model of the new of the 4TB.  But I understand that I need to reformat to GPT instead of MBR to use the larger disk in Windows.  I don't know if that happens with DiskPart in the Command Prompt or after I reinstall Windows 10.

August 31st, 2018 23:00

I really appreciate your help.  I'm going to study a bit before I ask too many questions so as not to waste time.  

Right now just a couple.

Can I run DiskPart on my USB Recovery drive to reformat both drives before proceeding to a a clean install of Windows 10 from the USB?

Then, on reinstall I want to load Windows on the 1TB SSD and make it the bootable drive.  I know that in the Customized install it lets me select the drive.  Finally, I need to get the bios to boot the SSD first on startup.

I already changed the Bios boot option down from RAID.  I can't recall.  I believe I selected AHCI but I'll double check next time I reboot.  Bedtime now.

Once again thank you.  

September 1st, 2018 22:00

Thanks very much!

No Events found!