Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

3 Posts

January 12th, 2020 09:00

XPS One 2720, won't run, desperation

Hi guys,

I've got a Dell 2720 PC with "LGA1150 Motherboard NVIDIA 750M 2GB Graphics IPPLP-PL". Once I click on power button I get total black screen (no BIOS info, nothing) and it constantly beeps twice.

What I tried:

- Since two beeps in some manuals means something todo with RAMs. For this I bought a single new RAM, that didn't help.

- I bought a new motherboard (twice, different), however it gave me the same result.

Also, I just tried to click on monitor menu, which allowed me to change the source to HDMI cable. I connected my laptop and it showed laptop screen, however the video was duplicated (split horizontally) and of course graphics were messed up.

I still don't want to bury this PC. Do you know any other ideas on what could be not working here? Could these two beeps indicate something else?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 12th, 2020 09:00

It is 7-years old, hard-to-work-on, and apparently ... prone to have bad/flakey motherboards.

I suggest you stop now and move on.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-2720-motherboard-replaced-double-image/m-p/7450031/highlight/true#M30192

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 12th, 2020 12:00

Two 2720 with same prob in just a few days...?  

Did you upgrade to Win 10 v1909 or get any driver updates right before this started?

Do you know that your new RAM is compatible with this PC?

You can try clearing  BIOS, and replacing the battery, like I suggested in the thread @Tesla1856 linked above

3 Posts

January 12th, 2020 14:00

Thanks for the reply.

RAM, yes it is compatible.

Just tried to clear BIOS, no effect. Also, found new battery at home, however no change either.

Regarding WIN10, yes at some point (1.5 year ago) the previous owner tried to update it to WIN10, however somewhere then this PC crashed. In recent months, he just gave it to me, just to try to run it again. 

By the way, even if the drivers were wrong at some point or that specific Windows version, can it put screen into total blackness, with 0 info (no bios letters or anything)? 

Is there something else that could put a PC in such condition?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 12th, 2020 14:00

@HarryDon wrote:

can it put screen into total blackness, with 0 info (no bios letters or anything)? 

Is there something else that could put a PC in such condition?

I think the 2 main-ones are:

a. Malfunctioning motherboard

b. Bad LCD Display-Panel

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 12th, 2020 15:00

Add a malfunctioning video card to the list. But since it's soldered to the motherboard, you'd have to replace the whole motherboard just to replace the video card.

Keep in mind that video cards have RAM on them too, so the 2-beep error code could be reporting a problem with RAM on the video card...

3 Posts

January 13th, 2020 03:00

Thanks guys for the information.

@Tesla1856 I see. I guess b option is not suitable in my case, since through HDMI source, PC was capable of showing doubled view of my laptop. Even though it was bad, it was still showing something. 

I suppose, it is a motherboard. Together with me and previous owner, we tried I think 4 different motherboards, after the first one crashed. All bought from ebay - china. It sounds quite improbable that all different sellers would sell faulty items. Could it be? I haven't had any experience with such market beforehand.

I guess this is it then, as there aren't any different sellers available in ebay for such motherboard. Unless, somebody knows some other website for such motherboards (new/old)?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 13th, 2020 05:00

Not sure how much $$ has already been spent on 4x motherboards, but if you really like this model, before you throw more money on a 5th motherboard, consider the cost to buy a whole new 2720 ...  this working one with the GPU option sold for $280 + $20 shipping on an ebay open auction listing yesterday:  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 13th, 2020 11:00

@HarryDon  - Are you sure those motherboards are the exact same part number and exact same revision number as the original?

Dell used a number of different motherboards in the 2720, which depends in part on the version of the LCD panel and the converter board.

Common for this model to have double images when the replacement motherboard isn't exactly the same P/N and revision as the one it replaces.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 13th, 2020 12:00

I am not sure if any of this will help?

Each XPS One 2720 motherboard parent part number has a unique child part number attributed to the original operating system shipped. So non-Dell sales sites will use them all, sometimes incorrectly.

YTPH7 motherboard with Intel UMA GPU
387W0 all OS
VTT2M Windows 8 Pro

PRK2K motherboard with Intel UMA GPU
38J7F Windows 8 Pro
TFMKH Windows 8 Home

5R2TK motherboard with GeForce GT 750M GPU
J6G6P Windows 8 Pro
XGF42 Windows 7

JTPX5 motherboard with GeForce GT 750M GPU
Y3GPK Windows 8 Pro
23DYG Windows 8 Home