Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS One A2010, can I upgrade from Windows 7 to 10?

Hi, my elderly father uses a 2007 XPS One A2010 with 2GB Ram and it suits him fine for web browsing etc. I updated his Vista to Windows 7 last year, and wanted to know if it can handle Windows 10? Any help gratefully received. Also, what's the best email software to put on it as he lost his original email program when upgrading Vista to 7.

THANK YOU!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Re: XPS One A2010, can I upgrade from Windows 7 to 10?

It is barely meeting the minimum system requirements for Windows 10. 4 GB of RAM (the maximum that system can take) would help. And since he has Windows 7, the upgrade for Windows 10 is still free as of this moment. Windows 10 comes with a very good Email program that would suit him fine. Just do not expect a lot as performance goes as that system is rather old and Windows 10 is pushing it to it's limits. Also drivers could be an issue as there is no guarantee that Windows 10 will install all the required drivers.

Windows 10 media creation tool is here for installing Windows 10.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built with MSI B450-A Pro Max with Ryzen 7 2700X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575 and Latitude E5430
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi, thanks for your reply, much appreciated. As he's very old he's said there is no point in buying another computer, and likes this Dell, even though it's very outdated. I'm downloading the Windows 10 & will call him later to see if he's happy for me to update. One last question if I may, if it doesn't work properly can I reverse it back to using 7 somehow? Sorry to ask, I've only ever used macs so this PC stuff is way over my head. Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Hi, my elderly father uses an XPS One 20 (A2010)   ALL IN ONE 20"  fake Desktops sure...

with 2Gb Ram and it suits him fine for web browsing etc.

I updated his Vista to Windows 7 last year, and wanted to know if it can handle Windows 10.

Any help gratefully received.

Also, what's the best email software to put on it as he lost his original email program when upgrading Vista to 7.

tell him to use web email, 1000s of email servers exits. endless, pickone use it online, no app needed at all..

or tell,  his email is,  <Email id removed> (tell what he has just after the @ sign, and we can answer easy.

THANK YOU!

it came with Vista or XP,  new

then you did w7 , good ....

PC is as old as 2007, 13 years old now and if RTC battery is that old IT IS NO GOOD Now, and upgrading any PC with dead or weak is bad to the bone. 1st things 1st and all that.

first off , w10 is free to try for 30 days, and will regress to w7 if you tell it to, upgrade mode.

no OS run on bad or failing SMART tests on the HDD, we test the HDD first, or spend days of  endless hair pulling, dont do that.. test the HDD first, F12, hit eSPA diagnostics and test it.

2GB ram.

1Ghz or more..

Intel® Core™2 Duo at least 4 MB
Intel Core2 Quad at least 6 MB

some Core 2 do run, I have tested this,and newer stepping do ran and more quad's do. for sure.

what you do is try,  with the free uSB boot iso from MS< run that and it tells you thumbs up or down.

I tested a dell 380 G41 ,with w10-64bit and it runs.. WITH E6300 CPU , 

EVEN HAVE 945G MOBO 2005 RUNNING W10-64BIT. MY OLDEST FOUND THAT RUNS, AND TESTED MANY.. THIS IS THE LOW WATER MARK, (4GB RAM IS BEST TO START) D800 up CPU is must here...

I find it fun to find that low mark,, G41 and G45 chipsets run but many need the newest best CPU in class.

called steppings by Intel.com.

one other way to do this, if wise, is buy a $20 used SSD,

pop it in and load w10 -64bit fresh, 64bit is best, it is vastly more secure

that is best, way and is faster to install and when done , super fast to run.

and if it doesnt run , pop back in that old  relic HDD and you are back to where you stared, w7.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: XPS ONE 20 (A2010) - can I upgrade from Windows 7 to 10

the G33 may be only 32bit runs... fail celeron too if fitted, but Core2 are a go,  ask for P/N..

each red mark is problem area..  born dead or crippled MS driver, (x3000 is ms weak driver)

and sound chip? may fail, but a $3 sound card can be hand,or usb dongle.w10 ready. same with WiFi.

Q9400, might run on this PC quad CPU. core2. IDK, for sure. but all are cheap upgrades

a2010JPG.JPG

costs zero to try, if spare usb stick about.

I do not have AIO and never will but have lots DELL Desktops MT here, and HP,

there is no Dell support here, zero nor MS vista or  W7 support now.

so w10 32bit or linux older.

someone here used the QUAD in there, Q9950, seems most are E6550 from dell. new.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Dell-XPS-A2010/11242

as you can see nobody hot rods this old AIO,,  they  buy a real desktop to do that and GEN 4 up i5 up.

go HASWELL UP. for a future. no this sorry, but this is IMO..

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

It would not be able to run Windows 10 on it.

I suggest you try to use extra sticks of RAM and use SSDs to bring the outdated system to allow Windows 10 to work on it.

If that doesn't help, you'll have to use any variant of Linux on it.

I hope this helps!

Regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: XPS One A2010, can I upgrade from Windows 7 to 10? sure but no support

ruskin want to see me do that?

not be able to run Windows 10 on it.

there is two windows 10 one is 32 bit  and other is 64b , and the former runs on vastly more PCs, old..

the killer is wrong CPU and G31..

i have  not tested G31s. yet

but will, I do have 945 older running 32bit, (I test w10 for what works old, nobody does that but I do)

G41 up  works. done them and logged them..

the dell 530 (old is G33) runs w10

a sister PC:

Inspiron 545 , g31? Quad Q8300, Q9300, or Q9400

(non S) run the quad...get it put it in, they are dirt cheap due to OLD. (and no demand)

read FIREBErD  posts, he gets this right. (works on some but no all chips, like sound)

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: XPS One A2010, can I upgrade from Windows 7 to 10? sure but no support

Thanks for your advice!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks for your advice!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@Delzano   

Definitely upgrade to at least 4GB.

Not sure how easy it is to access the RAM on the AIOs.

If you can upgrade to 4 GB, then I would use some sort of backup software such as Macrium Reflect Free to backup the current hard drive before doing anything else.

Then you will have the choice of doing an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 or a clean installation of Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi!, Actually i'm replying your request from XPS One A2010 with Windows 10 Home (2020) with 2GB Ram, i've changed de hdd to sdd Kingston 240GB, i'm planning upgrade the ram to 4GB. You will need to download some drivers manually:

pci intel AMT dell
url=ftp://ftp.dell.com/chipset/Intel_AMT-HECI_A02_R255437.exe

Ricoh Reader
url=http://downloads.dell.com/rmsd/R251071.exe

ACPI Utility 3d proximity
url=http://downloads.dell.com/utility/R226639.exe

Best Regards, from Venezuela

Armando J. Medina

<Email id removed>

0 Kudos