Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

1 Message

May 28th, 2020 13:00

XPS8300 SSD and HDD in Raid 1

Community Member

I own an XPS8300.  There is only 4 SATA Port (SATA 0, 1, 2 and 3 with Port 0 and 1 at SATA III Speed and port 2 and 3 at SATA II Speed). The XPS8300 came with a RAID 1 configuration. Over the year, I replaced the two HDD with higher capacity 2 TB. I recently had an HDD failure and need to replace one HDD. I will be cloning the OS and applications on a SSD. 

Before I proceed, question is: SSD will be in the SATA 0 port (SATA III Speed). As I plan to reconfigure the remaining HDD for Data and foreseen to reconfigure this disk and the replacement disk as soon as I will get the replacement unit, into a RAID 1 configuration (HDD's  in port position SATA 2 and 3; SATA II Speed). SATA position port 1 (SATA Speed III) will be use for the CD/DVD Writer. Will this be a working configuration? Any comments or ideas?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 28th, 2020 13:00

onboard Intel Intel RST I/O controller hubs (ICH). Raid/rst doesnt support Trim or sata 3

Or the other way to say that is

TRIM support in Windows  (in AHCI and RAID mode for drives not part of a RAID volume) CORE I3 I5 I7 SATA 3 is only available for port 0 and 1 on sandy bridge and up cpus.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005807/technologies.html

No Events found!