ewolin99
1 Copper

Xps WiFi

Jump to solution
I have a dell XP’s running windows 7. I have WiFi. I just had a service upgrade to a new modem and the modem and router were moved to another room to accommodate the upgrade. Now all devices except my desktop can recognize and connect via WiFi. My desktop only recognizes my wifi printer next to it and a neighbor’s connection. It is rare when it finds mine and tries to connect and fails. All was well when router and modem were close by. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance. Eileen.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
savvy2
4 Tellurium

Re: Xps WiFi

Jump to solution

better if above fails upgrade to wifi with  shelf antenna.  new card with antenna , a same height at router.

and vertically polarized if router is.  (routers with obvious antennas that  move are best)  pointed up, and at PC.

this only matters if far from router, but no distance state and is the first thing to ask in the Radio world of RF.

or put a China WOK behind the PC and aim at the router, it .  fun to do , and is AMAZING possible distances achieved. my friend can login to Holiday inn , down the hill with is crude parabolic dish, focused with great care., 

I am not Dell, I am retired from this industry since 2009,
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ivanmoe
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Is your router setup to broadcast publicly? If not, your computer wifi would have to be configured with the SSID and security protocol method (in addition to the password). I always keep my router/gateway private.

0 Kudos
savvy2
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

can you see your SSID./????????????????

how far is DT PC now from router,  in feet?  line of sight.(Radio wifi is)

what is between PC and router (wifi) concrete, 2.4g goes through more things but not crete. nor 4 layers fire grade drywall (some homes have rooms that are higher fire grade, like safe rooms and others.

Your PC can be moved from near router. then test it if works move it farther 10feet at a time and test it.

you will see just how far it can go this way.

the wifi card, m./2 inside? 

are both antenna connected or 1 fell off, as they LOVE TO DO.

also in windows,  you tell windows to forget all it know about last connection,

and force it to new connections mode and do that;  wifi has its own IP/MAC at  the router, so you need to reset the last connection (forget)

windows has that , feature, called autoconnect next time, so reset all that.

0 Kudos
savvy2
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

better if above fails upgrade to wifi with  shelf antenna.  new card with antenna , a same height at router.

and vertically polarized if router is.  (routers with obvious antennas that  move are best)  pointed up, and at PC.

this only matters if far from router, but no distance state and is the first thing to ask in the Radio world of RF.

or put a China WOK behind the PC and aim at the router, it .  fun to do , and is AMAZING possible distances achieved. my friend can login to Holiday inn , down the hill with is crude parabolic dish, focused with great care., 

0 Kudos
Vic384
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

You could login to your router and change the radio channel it is using. A lot of routers use the same default channel and nearby routers using the same channel could cause interference. Also since the router is moved to another room you could try moving the router's location within that room to minimize the walls and other obstacles between the router and the desktop.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

And if none of that helps, there's always a WiFi range extender. Plug it into a wall outlet somewhere ~midway between the router and the desktop. Make sure it supports the 802.11 specs for your network and has fast link speeds.

Then configure the extender to connect to your router, and configure the PC connect to the extender, not to the router.

My house is on 3 floors and the only way I can get WiFi on all 3 floors is with an extender, no matter which floor the router is on. It was an inexpensive fix for the frustrations...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos