Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 17th, 2022 21:00

XPS 8950, PSU clicking noise

Oh well, not sure how to start, just got a brand new Dell XPS 8950.

I hear a clicking noise when I shut down the OS / power off my desktop. Is it strange? Beside that I always put my computer equipment on a power strip, if I don't use it, I power off the power strip to safe all stand by power, etc.

I experience that every time when I turn on the power strip, there a clicking noise coming out from the PSU of the desktop?

What you think of it?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 18th, 2022 12:00

Only if it's defective. If the PSU clicks only when the power strip is turned on, IMO that's normal.

14 Posts

August 20th, 2022 14:00

@smokeygraypoupon thanks for your reply and experience.  I do have the same clicking sound when I shut down the desktop.  Hope this is normal and thanks for your reply.

1 Rookie

• 

115 Posts

August 21st, 2022 17:00

@smokeygraypoupon 

We also have an 8950 with a 750W PSU. Since day 1 we've heard the clicks described by you. From what I've read this doesn't seem to be a defect.

7 Technologist

• 

10.3K Posts

August 17th, 2022 23:00

Chat w Dell support on line to get a warranty replacement (they will hopefully send you a good new and ask you to send back the clicking one).  Is the psu 460w, 750w, or 1000w?

14 Posts

August 18th, 2022 07:00

thanks, that is a 460w

7 Technologist

• 

10.3K Posts

August 18th, 2022 11:00

with brand new component making noise it is better to let Dell replace it immediately than spending time on detective work because the warranty clock is ticking away.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 18th, 2022 11:00

@exitnine - If you hear clicking noise only when you turn the power strip back on, that's entirely "normal". 

When you turn the power strip off, the PC thinks there's been a power failure. And when you turn the strip back on, the PC wants to "recover" from the power failure.

To recover, it automatically/briefly turns itself on to see what BIOS wants to do after recovering from a power failure (AC recovery settings options in BIOS ). So you hear the PSU click.

If BIOS is set to "Do nothing", PC turns itself off immediately, so you hear the PSU click again. If it's set to "Reboot", PC boots itself automatically without you having to press the PC's power button.  There may be a 3rd "Last state" option, meaning it should reboot if PC was on when power failed, or shut down immediately if PC was off when power failed.

I have my PC, monitor, and printer on a power strip.  I turn that strip off after shutting Windows down normally.  BIOS is set to "Reboot", so as soon as I turn the strip on, PC boots itself, and monitor and printer turn on at same time just by using that one switch on the power strip. (I'm lazy!)

NOTE: If you set yours up like mine, make sure the power strip can handle the load of PC, monitor, etc all turning on at same time.

1 Rookie

• 

68 Posts

August 20th, 2022 06:00

I have the same clicking noise on my XPS 8950 (750 watt PSU)  at shutdown or system going to sleep. Internet search revealed a PSU with a mechanical relay may produce the clicking noise when it powers down. Apparently, this may be "normal" for my system, and I continue to monitor for any unexpected problems. Another factor to consider.

Hope this helps.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 20th, 2022 16:00

@exitnine  That PSU click is normal.

Besides, you just got this PC and have almost a whole year of Dell's warranty left. So just enjoy using your new toy...

1 Message

May 1st, 2023 09:00

What if the clicking just happens randomly during use? There is nothing mechanical in the system except the DVD and fans. I popped out the DVD still getting clicking sound, I guessing has to be PSU? If a fan was getting stuck, my temps would be up...

So...hmmm?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 1st, 2023 11:00

@pcmav - Do you have a hard disk drive in your PC?

Is something hitting a fan blade?

No Events found!