Highlighted
irev211
Bronze

2018 Dell XPS 13 9370 - CPU Throttling?

8/1/18 UPDATE:

I just wanted to follow-up and say that Dell re-released 1.1.3 BIOS which rolls back the CPU power limits to ~21-24w or so.

I highly recommend that anyone who wants the increased core speeds upgrade(downgrade) to the 1.1.3 which was recently posted to the dell driver site.

A BIG BIG THANK YOU TO DELL FOR FIXING!

Original Post:

When I purchased the xps 13 9370, it was based on reviews showing that on performance mode, the laptop would be able to boost to 25w instead of 15w tdp, offering faster sustained performance.

Now, a few bios updates later, the power throttling kicks in and limits the CPU to 15w.

I am pretty upset given that I purchased the laptop based on reviews stating that dell offered enhanced performance over its competitors due to the superior cooling solution.  What gives?  Can we get a BIOS update that offers the 25w TDP again?

From notebookcheck

The average score after 50 iterations was 583.6 points (averaging 2.7 GHz, 89 °C, and 24.2 W), and thus significantly higher than with the older (and thicker) XPS 13 9360 (around 520 points). 

Now, after about 30 seconds, it power throttles at 15 W and obviously the performance drops off a cliff.  I feel that this is very shady that dell updates the BIOS after reviews and detunes it to 15 W from 24 W

0 Kudos
4 Replies
originlabs
Copper

Re: 2018 Dell XPS 13 9370 - CPU Throttling?

I've also noticed this issue, and although I am using the most recent BIOS (1.3.3), I'm not sure exactly when I noticed the 15w TDP issue, or which BIOS version caused it.

For now, I've been able to set the TDP back to 27w using Intel XTU (Extreme Tuning Utility), but this is not ideal.

Any word from Dell on this?

0 Kudos
irev211
Bronze

@originlabs wrote:

I've also noticed this issue, and although I am using the most recent BIOS (1.3.3), I'm not sure exactly when I noticed the 15w TDP issue, or which BIOS version caused it.

For now, I've been able to set the TDP back to 27w using Intel XTU (Extreme Tuning Utility), but this is not ideal.

Any word from Dell on this?

Is that sustained?  How did you use XTU to keep the the TDP at 27W?  I know XTU lets you increase the boost time but I didn't know you could perm modify the TDP limit.

The latest BIOS is also 1.4 now - which doesn't do anything to fix.

Also, you can't downgrade your bios back to the previous versions, the intel management engine that regulates TDP won't downgrade, so you are stuck.

0 Kudos
irev211
Bronze

I just wanted to follow-up and say that Dell re-released 1.1.3 BIOS which rolls back the CPU power limits to ~21-24w or so.

I highly recommend that anyone who wants the increased core speeds upgrade(downgrade) to the 1.1.3 which was recently posted to the dell driver site.

Lastly, thank you to Dell for making this available and allowing us to roll back.

0 Kudos
RFriis
Copper

Hi, I'm on bios 1.5.1 and my tdp is locked at max 10W.

What do I do to unlock it?

0 Kudos