Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

4 Posts

October 11th, 2018 15:00

XPS 13 9365 2-in-1, keyboard backlight not working

Hi there - the backlit keyboard on my XPS 9365 has stopped working. I only noticed it since the last Windows 10 update, but I can't say for certain. The backlight key (F10) does nothing, either with or without the Fn key pressed. Windows Mobility Center doesn't have an option for Backlit Keyboard. SupportAssist says my drivers are up to date, apart from one (Intel Chipset Device Software Driver) which won't install - every time it says installed, tells me to restart, then when I run the check again it says it needs updating again. In the BIOS I have the options for setting the time the backlit keyboard should stay on, but changing this doesn't seem to do anything. My gut says driver problem, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any suggestions?

9.4K Posts

October 12th, 2018 07:00

Hi Chewit360,

Thanks for posting. Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Glad you were able to run SupportAssist to check for any hardware issues.  

I feel your hunch is correct, that it is probably a driver corrupted.  Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

How to Turn Off or On and Troubleshoot the Backlit Keyboard on Your Dell Notebook Computer

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

4 Posts

October 12th, 2018 08:00

Hi Dell-Robert P,

Thanks, but that article wasn't helpful. I've checked the BIOS settings, and tried the keyboard shortcut.

One thing I've found in the BIOS is the 'Sign Of Life' setting, which is enabled - this says that the keyboard illumination should turn on early on in startup. It doesn't - does this still point to a driver problem, or does that make it sound like hardware?

Do you have the out-of-warranty team number for the UK?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

There are three areas in the Bios that concern keyboard backlighting.  Two are in the System Configuration and one in Post Behavior.

On my system the F10 key turns the backlight on or off.  The keyboard lights up for "Sign of Life" indications and whenever you use the keyboard, for the specified time.  Whether the system is plugged in or not may have some effect.

The keyboard also works in the Bios pages.  Just make sure not to hit F10 alone since that will restart the system, use Fn+F10.

If there is something you want me to check, advise.

4 Posts

Hi Saltgrass, Thanks for your help. Whilst in the BIOS the keyboard isn't lit up - even though the 'Sign of life' setting is set to enabled. The fact that it isn't working even when in BIOS makes me think it's possibly hardware related... But the fact that the settings are missing from Windows makes me think it's driver related. Bit stuck!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 12th, 2018 14:00

So you checked the intensity settings and it is set to medium or bright? The other two settings, duration and Sign of Life should also be checked to make sure everything is set to turn it on.

I was going to suggest checking the connection for the keyboard and although I think it is accessible under the battery, you may not want to go there.

If the Bios settings are correct and it won't work while on a Bios page I would think a bad connection or bad lights. Those keyboard lights are how I tell when I have pressed the Power button long enough to bring the system out of hibernation.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 13th, 2018 07:00

One more thing, and this is going to sound silly, but I cannot see my backlighting in a bright environment.

4 Posts

October 15th, 2018 03:00

Valid suggestion! But that was the first thing I checked

No Events found!