Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Message

September 28th, 2019 05:00

9550 - display port stopped working since Dell update

Hi,

I'm unsure which update my Dell laptop performed, but approximately 4/5 days ago my laptop performed an update, and since then my display port has stopped working.

Plugging in a display port connection shows that it has been recognised (with a pop up) which opens intel HD integrated graphics, however the devices are no longer found under the display port topology tab.

The monitors are on, and no configuration settings have been adjusted.

Can someone advise perhaps how to check what updates have been performed so I can attempt a roll back if this is the best option?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 28th, 2019 06:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Mikeleonhart 

Looks like it could be the Intel HD Graphics Driver:

Last Updated 23 Sep 2019 

Version 26.20.100.6951, A13

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=cjd99&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9550-laptop

This is the version just before that:

Version 23.20.16.4973, A12

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=10x01&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9550-laptop

Best regards,

U2

590 Posts

September 28th, 2019 08:00

I've put off updating the Intel HD Graphics driver released by Dell this month in my 9550 because it seems to be a switch from a Legacy to a new DCH graphics driver. 

Earlier versions of the Intel DCH drivers have ominous warnings from Intel about needing to revert in a certain way since "Failure to do so may result in minor to major system instability.".  Similar warnings about installing/uninstalling the driver from Device Manager (INF / Have-Disk method) "possibly resulting in minor to major system instability".  I don't see these warnings in current versions of Intel's DCH drivers, but it goes to show it's newly introduced and kinks are likely still being worked out.  Note Intel's statement about DCH drivers in the FAQ link I posted - "Microsoft is moving to a new Universal Drivers architecture starting with Windows® 10 October 2018 Update. This represents a shift in our Intel® Graphics Drivers.".

Given the above, if you do revert, I'd favor doing it from Apps and Features if the new DCH driver is present there.

When I do upgrade my 9550 to Intel's DCH drivers I plan to first keep uninstalling the Legacy Intel HD Graphics drivers with remove driver selected and rebooting until only Microsoft generic graphics driver is installed so the old Legacy drivers are flushed out of the system.  Then, I'll install the new DCH driver.

October 4th, 2019 02:00

thank you very much for this topic!
My system stopped working,  when i plugged in the external monitor,  on 1 october during an update. Total crash, black screen. Only with hard reset i could acces the system again.
With support of technical support we could not solve the problem for days. they send me an new dockingstation, we rolled back all updates but nothing worked.

Inspired by you i rolled back the graphics card update to a older version. And everything works fine now! We did not think about the graphic card cause the update on 1 oct didnot include the graphic card, it was about the dockingstation.

No Events found!