Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

February 28th, 2019 19:00

9570 No Audio Through HDMI

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I can't get the sound to work through HDMI on my XPS 9570. Video works fine, but the laptop only sees the built in speakers/headphones. Here are the things I've done to troubleshoot:

1. Tried to rollback Realtek audio / Intel graphics / Nvidia graphics drivers
  2. Reinstalled the latest version of all the drivers listed above
  3. BIOS update to the latest version
  4. Completely reinstalled Windows 10 to a clean version of 1809
  5. Checked the boxes to "show disabled or offline devices" under "sound" in Control Panel. (see photo)
  6. Tired different displays and HDMI cables
  7. Rebooting laptop after connecting HDMI

Almost ready to give up at this point. I haven't called Dell support yet, because I'm worried it will just be three hours of them reinstalling drivers. Has anyone else experienced these issues with their 9570? 

screenshot.png

• 

16.7K Posts

March 1st, 2019 04:00

monciul,

Click the links below for resolving audio and hdmi.

No sound with DisplayPort or HDMI Video cable connection

No Audio from the Display When it is Connected to the System using a High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) Cable Connection

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 1st, 2019 09:00

Past XPS 15 models have had the HDMI output physically wired to the Intel GPU, in which case the Intel Graphics drivers would be the only ones that matter.  However, I've read that the XPS 15 9570 might have its HDMI output wired directly to the NVIDIA GPU, in which case its drivers would be the ones involved here.  If you open NVIDIA Control Panel, I believe either the PhysX or multi-display area shows a diagram indicating which output are wired to which system GPU.  That will at least narrow your focus a bit.  You can forget about the Realtek drivers since the Realtek chipset has nothing to do with HDMI audio.

Have you checked Device Manager yet?  Does it show an audio device perhaps with an exclamation point when an HDMI display is connected?  If so, what error message is displayed in that device's properties?  And sorry if this is an obvious question, but have you confirmed that other devices can pass HDMI audio to the displays you're testing the XPS 15 with?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 1st, 2019 17:00

@monciul wrote:

Hi jphughan,

Thanks for answering. I don't have any errors or warnings in Device Manager while a display is connected. I did update my NVIDIA graphics driver through the GeForce Experience application since posting, no dice. 

Taking a look at the NVIDIA Control Panel, it allows me to switch between Intel HD Graphics and the 1050 Ti for PhysX processing, but I can't seem to find options anywhere regarding HDMI or sound. Good suggestion though.

To answer your last question, yes. Both TV's I've connected the laptop to are capable of producing sound. I also connected the HDMI cable to my Denon AVR-X3500H with the same result unfortunately.

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting trying to change any settings in NVIDIA Control Panel.  I suggested checking the areas I mentioned purely to find that diagram I described that shows which display outputs are wired to which GPU.  The GPU that the HDMI output is wired to would be the one responsible for providing HDMI audio, so finding that diagram in NVIDIA Control Panel would at least tell you which GPU you should be focusing on (and which you can ignore completely).  That said, if you're not even seeing anything in Device Manager about an unknown device or a device having an issue when an HDMI display capable of receiving audio is displayed, my guess is that this will turn out to be a hardware issue.

3 Posts

Hi jphughan,

Thanks for answering. I don't have any errors or warnings in Device Manager while a display is connected. I did update my NVIDIA graphics driver through the GeForce Experience application since posting, no dice. 

Taking a look at the NVIDIA Control Panel, it allows me to switch between Intel HD Graphics and the 1050 Ti for PhysX processing, but I can't seem to find options anywhere regarding HDMI or sound. Good suggestion though.

To answer your last question, yes. Both TV's I've connected the laptop to are capable of producing sound. I also connected the HDMI cable to my Denon AVR-X3500H with the same result unfortunately.

3 Posts

Hi Jesse,

I appreciate the reply, but I'm not even able to see the HDMI sound device from the sound dialog in Control Panel, even when a display is plugged in.

Thanks,

monciul

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2019 10:00

@monciul wrote:

Hi Jesse,

I appreciate the reply, but I'm not even able to see the HDMI sound device from the sound dialog in Control Panel, even when a display is plugged in.

Thanks,

monciul

You might check the Device Manger under the Sound, video, etc. and see if it shows an Intel(R) Display Audio device.  If it does not, go to the top and set the view to show hidden devices and see if it shows up.  You may need to have the HDMI device available before you see the entry.

Just as a tip, whenever I install drivers, since Windows loves to push it own version, I will download the proper driver and go offline to uninstall the current one and then install the correct one.  I don't know about video drivers, but I have seen Windows install a correct version but not totally compatible, audio driver.

The monitor should show up in the Sound Output devices as a sound option, which I am sure you know.  I don't have the 9570 either but I don't remember seeing other complaints about this exact situation, although I have seen quite a few regarding bad sound.

When you made the original attachment showing only the attached or disabled options, were those two the only settings on that menu or did you just edit the rest out?

1 Message

March 20th, 2019 14:00

have same problem, and it jut happened today, no setup change, same TV, same cable, when connecting HDMI picture is displayed on it but no audio at all

1 Message

July 14th, 2019 16:00

Same problem, 9570 with Intel Display Audio driver version 10.26.0.6 does not activate the digital audio when connected through a TESmart 4K HDMI KVM to an Acer S231HL monitor .  The Acer monitor does not have audio of any kind.  The TESmart KVM reports the EDID from connected monitor to the computers and pulls the digital audio from the HDMI to provide analog stereo output.  The 9570 outputs HDMI digital audio for each of two HDMI TVs and the computer Device Manager shows Intel Display Audio being used.  My Dell E7470 with Intel Display Audio driver version 10.24.0.3 outputs HDMI digital audio through the KVM with the Acer display.  My Gateway SX2851 with Intel Display Audio driver version 6.12.0.3047 outputs HDMI digital audio through the KVM with the Acer display.  I does appear that Dell may have modified the 9470 Intel Display Audio driver to not operate (therefore output HDMI digital audio) when the connected device reports no audio in the EDID.  (Additional note:  Intel website will not update the Intel Display Audio driver due to 9570 reporting the driver was modified by Dell.)  Dell needs to let us know if blocking digital audio due to EDID was part of their modifications to the Intel Display Audio driver. 

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

August 17th, 2019 16:00

Bump, same issue. 9570 with Intel Display Audio driver version 10.26.0.6 does not activate the digital audio when connected to external monitors via HDMI cable. I have tried multiple monitors and multiple cables. 3 weeks ago it did activate on my home TV. After that I didn't do any of the Dell recommended updates. There was a Windows Update done on 8/2/2019. Other than that no driver or system updates to my knowledge. 

Did anything work to get HDMI audio playing through the external device for anyone here?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

August 17th, 2019 23:00

Issue Solved

I installed the latest BIOS (1.12.0) and the latest Windows update, and audio through HDMI is working correctly again.

2 Posts

October 6th, 2019 07:00

i might have an answer for u

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=HKN1T

the driver were originally only for windows 7, then was added to 8.1

I have window 10 and it works fine for my 2720

I added my Nintendo Switch and was blown out of my seat at 66% volume which i couldn't turn down until i installed the drivers.

hope this helps

1 Message

December 15th, 2019 17:00

I found a solution that worked for me. I went to "Device Manager" I right clicked on "Audio inputs and outputs" and then I clicked on "Scan for hardware changes". With this method my computer detected my Monitor's Audio output.

No Events found!