Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2018 11:00

9570 XPS 15 Power Button Options "Turn off Display"

XPS 15 9570

Windows 10 Home. 

I'm trying to set my power button to turn off the display, but under advanced options "choose what the power button does" it can: do nothing, sleep, and turn off. My other machines have an option to turn off display but this one doesn't list it as an option. 

It is not present in on battery / plugged in, and in Dell, or the other pre-installed "Balanced" power plan.

I do not want to install any 3rd party apps, and since this function was available on my m3800 running Windows 10 Pro, I don't see why my upgrade should be any less functional? 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 6th, 2018 16:00

Just so you will know, I checked two of my systems.  The Inspiron 15 7567 has the turn off display option but the XPS 13 9365 does not.

The 9365 is an Modern Standby system where the desktop pauses whenever the display is off.  I do not know whether the 9570 is like the 9365 but you can check by looking down the Power Settings page and see if there is a Network Connection option.  Or by entering in an administrative command window the command powercfg /a and see if Sleep is allowed.

3 Posts

April 6th, 2019 12:00

Here's the genuine solution: At startup, F2 -> go to Bios -> Turn 'Unobstructive Mode' ON This enables Fn+F7 to off display. While the instruction on 'Unobstructive Mode' says that both light and sound will get off upon Fn+F7, for me only light (screen display) is getting off and not the sound, which is very useful as I can listen to my music with screen off.

26 Posts

Jphughan, 

Thanks for a quick reply. 

I did not install any additional software, as it was always a Windows option.

Here is a guide now how to do it without any addons:  https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/power-button-to-turn-off-the-display-windows-10/

This is what it looks like under power options. The 9570 is identical, minus the turn off the display option. 

2018-08-05.png

Now, I understand you may not have experienced / used it before, but it was a very useful function to me (saving power without having to lock / close the display or have to sign in afterwards) 

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

I grant that I haven’t seen everything, but in 15 years of working in IT, I personally have never seen “Turn off the display” listed as a Power button action on any PC running any version of Windows. In fact I even own the XPS 15 9530, which is the sister system of the M3800, and that option isn’t there (also running Win10 Pro) — so maybe you previously had it due to some third-party app? There’s a seprate setting for turning off the display based on time, and on newer versions of Windows, the display will turn off about a minute after you lock your workstation, which you can do by pressing WinKey+L. Closing the lid will also turn off the display if you have the lid close action set to “Do nothing”.

105 Posts

August 5th, 2018 13:00

I don't know about using "advanced options" to get there, but:

Right click the Battery icon in the notification area, select Power Options
Or
Open Control Panel (select Small icons if not set), select Power Options
Or
Windows Key+R powercfg.cpl

"Choose what the power buttons do" -- "Turn off the display" should be listed in four of the drop downs. It is not an option for "When I close the lid", because the display automatically goes off when you close the lid.

26 Posts

August 6th, 2018 12:00

Thanks for your reply. 

As per my initial question, the "Turn off the Display" option is not listed. Which is what prompted me to create this thread to begin with. I'm just curious if it's a Dell issue, or a Windows issue. 

How I access the power settings does not seem to be relevant, as the option is missing regardless of how I access the drop-down (I tried W+R, but since it ultimately brings you to the same page, it gives the same options).

As you can see below, the "Turn off the Display" is not available in the dropdown.

thumbnail_Option_01.pngthumbnail_Option_02.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

26 Posts

August 7th, 2018 10:00

I think you may have answered my question! 

Modern standby would explain all of the issues I'm having (laptop wakes up when AC is connected or disconnected), no screen off option, etc.

I'll have to do further research into how to disable it, as I don't want my laptop to act like a phone / tablet.

1 Message

August 7th, 2018 17:00

I have a 9365, and my configuration DOES have the option to turn off the display. The fact that yours does not says it is probably a configuration setting somewhere, or a difference in BIOS or driver versions.

advancedpoweroptions.png

26 Posts

April 7th, 2019 03:00

Yes! This is exactly what I was looking for. Do you know which BIOS version this setting came with? I could swear I didn't see it when posting my original query. This is perfect, you made my like my laptop again.. Thank you!

1 Message

August 29th, 2019 10:00

thanks evinod, this is perfect.

No Events found!