Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 30th, 2019 07:00

A/C power adapter vs thunderbolt (power supply priority)

Hi,

what happens if I connect a/c charger and docking station (via thunderbolt) at the same time? Which power supply my notebook (xps 9570) chooses?

• 

16.7K Posts

April 30th, 2019 09:00

jiriferkl,

If both are connected to the laptop, A/C power adapter and TB/USB Type-C, the A/C power adapter takes over as charging.

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

The answer above is the only one that makes sense given that the TB16 FAQ page specifies that in order to use the TB16 with certain laptop models that require more power than the TB16 can provide (such as the Precision 7000 Series models), you have to connect the laptop's AC adapter directly to it.  The only way that would make a difference would be if the laptop prioritized the AC adapter in that situation.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@jiriferklif you want to verify what's happening, boot your system into the BIOS Setup interface and go to the Battery Information section.  In that area, the system will indicate the detected wattage of the attached AC adapter.  You should see that showing as 130W whenever the AC adapter is connected.

No Events found!