Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2018 05:00

Active Pen PN579X Broken Tip Very Poor Design

I purchased a dell XPS laptop with an Active Pen 579X dropped the pen on the floor the 2nd day and the end of the tip broke off now any previous pens I have owned you just unscrew the end of the pen pop out the tip and replace but this pen there is no way to replace the tip because it gets pulled out from the end of the pen and if the protruding tip has broken off you have nothing to grab onto in order to remove the tip so the pen is rendered useless and you have $100 you have thrown in the garbage very poor design. fortunately for me it was new and I could return it. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 25th, 2018 06:00

If you hold the Pen tip to the left, horizontally, turn it toward you.  If you are looking at it from the tip end, it turns clockwise.  Be careful and take note of the exact configuration, such as which end of the tip goes in first.

Of course, once you have removed the broken nib, you can reattach the tip and insert the new nib.

For info, the nibs from the Wacom Bamboo Ink work with the pen and they come in packages of 3.

Caution:  There has now been one user who had a problem using the above procedure.  Possibly, the original damage which broke the tip was involved.  Although it works for me, sending the PEN back to Dell for repair is an option.

2 Posts

November 25th, 2018 10:00

So you are saying the end of the pen by the tip actually screws off?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 25th, 2018 10:00

@ejvette wrote:

So you are saying the end of the pen by the tip actually screws off?

Yes ..

1 Message

February 26th, 2019 19:00

I dont know the exact nib from wacom I should get

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 28th, 2019 07:00

@ChestPlateI gave the Wacom model I used in a prior response (Bamboo Ink)..  Otherwise, look online for NIB and you should have some options.  This is for the Pen referenced in this thread.  I have not replaced the tip on other Pens.

If you can remove the broken Nib from the Pen, you can just insert the new one and will not need to unscrew the tip.  

May 21st, 2019 17:00

i could kiss you.

2 Posts

May 26th, 2019 09:00

How did you manage to screw the front end off? I have been trying for hours and I cannot unscrew the front end.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 26th, 2019 13:00

With the PEN pointing at you, try screwing the very end piece clockwise.  Of course, this is opposite the normal way but that how it works.  You may need something to secure the end while you twist, it is not easy.

And be advised, you do not have to remove the tip to replace the nib, that is only necessary in case you can not secure enough of the end to pull it out.  Make sure you keep track of which end of the nib goes in first......!

2 Posts

June 10th, 2019 15:00

What did you use to secure the tip? I still can't get it off even when screwing clockwise from the tip end.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 11th, 2019 05:00

I don't remember what I used.  I think something with a rubbery surface to keep from slipping.  The first time, it does take some force but it should move with a reasonable amount..

Just to make sure we are on the same page, if you hold the Pen in your left hand and point the tip to the right, you turn the tip away from you to unscrew it.  Or, of course, you could hold the tip steady and turn the barrel toward you.

Maybe let someone else try.  Make sure they do not grab the battery end when turning, just the barrel past that part.

1 Message

June 17th, 2019 21:00

I just tried this and discovered that it is NOT a threaded end on these pens, the information posted here is false. I tried and it snapped the end off, which actually appears to be connected via plastic clips.

I don't think there is any way of doing this without pleading with Dell to replace the nib somehow? I can fix this pen, but now I have to glue the end back on, not ideal.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 18th, 2019 07:00

The info is correct but for some reason your pen was damaged.  Possibly the original event which broke the Pen tip also damaged the screw mechanism or one of the tabs.

If you can't remove the tip yourself, the only other option is to send it to Dell for repair.  Sorry yours broke but I have removed my tip multiple times and never had a problem.

PN579XPN579X

June 25th, 2019 18:00

Can you please provide  a link to show what exact nibs can be used?

July 11th, 2019 19:00

I have had 2 pens where the tip does not screw off.

I lost the one that did.

As long as it screw off, the design is practical, otherwise, unworkable.

my apple pen is much better.

1 Message

July 20th, 2019 19:00

Just had this happen - tip broke off at a point slightly within the end so there was no way to grab it.  I tried twisting and pulling but it was not budging.  Finally grabbed a fine point needle and worked it around the edge of the tip, speared it a little, and slowly brought it out to a point where regular tweezers could grab it.  Hope this idea helps anyone still struggling with this problem.

No Events found!