ejvette
2 Bronze

Active Pen PN579X Broken Tip Very Poor Design

Jump to solution

I purchased a dell XPS laptop with an Active Pen 579X dropped the pen on the floor the 2nd day and the end of the tip broke off now any previous pens I have owned you just unscrew the end of the pen pop out the tip and replace but this pen there is no way to replace the tip because it gets pulled out from the end of the pen and if the protruding tip has broken off you have nothing to grab onto in order to remove the tip so the pen is rendered useless and you have $100 you have thrown in the garbage very poor design. fortunately for me it was new and I could return it. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Saltgrass
5 Rhenium

Re: Active Pen PN579X Broken Tip Very Poor Design

Jump to solution

If you hold the Pen tip to the left, horizontally, turn it toward you.  If you are looking at it from the tip end, it turns clockwise.  Be careful and take note of the exact configuration, such as which end of the tip goes in first.

Of course, once you have removed the broken nib, you can reattach the tip and insert the new nib.

For info, the nibs from the Wacom Bamboo Ink work with the pen and they come in packages of 3.

Caution:  There has now been one user who had a problem using the above procedure.  Possibly, the original damage which broke the tip was involved.  Although it works for me, sending the PEN back to Dell for repair is an option.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Saltgrass
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

If you hold the Pen tip to the left, horizontally, turn it toward you.  If you are looking at it from the tip end, it turns clockwise.  Be careful and take note of the exact configuration, such as which end of the tip goes in first.

Of course, once you have removed the broken nib, you can reattach the tip and insert the new nib.

For info, the nibs from the Wacom Bamboo Ink work with the pen and they come in packages of 3.

Caution:  There has now been one user who had a problem using the above procedure.  Possibly, the original damage which broke the tip was involved.  Although it works for me, sending the PEN back to Dell for repair is an option.

View solution in original post

ejvette
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

So you are saying the end of the pen by the tip actually screws off?

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

@ejvette wrote:

So you are saying the end of the pen by the tip actually screws off?

Yes ..

1 Copper

Jump to solution

I dont know the exact nib from wacom I should get

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

@ChestPlateI gave the Wacom model I used in a prior response (Bamboo Ink)..  Otherwise, look online for NIB and you should have some options.  This is for the Pen referenced in this thread.  I have not replaced the tip on other Pens.

If you can remove the broken Nib from the Pen, you can just insert the new one and will not need to unscrew the tip.  

2 Bronze

Jump to solution

i could kiss you.

0 Kudos
ktong0813
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

How did you manage to screw the front end off? I have been trying for hours and I cannot unscrew the front end.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

With the PEN pointing at you, try screwing the very end piece clockwise.  Of course, this is opposite the normal way but that how it works.  You may need something to secure the end while you twist, it is not easy.

And be advised, you do not have to remove the tip to replace the nib, that is only necessary in case you can not secure enough of the end to pull it out.  Make sure you keep track of which end of the nib goes in first......!

Jump to solution

What did you use to secure the tip? I still can't get it off even when screwing clockwise from the tip end.

0 Kudos