Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Re: Active Pen PN579X Broken Tip Very Poor Design

I don't remember what I used.  I think something with a rubbery surface to keep from slipping.  The first time, it does take some force but it should move with a reasonable amount..

Just to make sure we are on the same page, if you hold the Pen in your left hand and point the tip to the right, you turn the tip away from you to unscrew it.  Or, of course, you could hold the tip steady and turn the barrel toward you.

Maybe let someone else try.  Make sure they do not grab the battery end when turning, just the barrel past that part.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
jbrizzle
1 Copper

I just tried this and discovered that it is NOT a threaded end on these pens, the information posted here is false. I tried and it snapped the end off, which actually appears to be connected via plastic clips.

I don't think there is any way of doing this without pleading with Dell to replace the nib somehow? I can fix this pen, but now I have to glue the end back on, not ideal.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

The info is correct but for some reason your pen was damaged.  Possibly the original event which broke the Pen tip also damaged the screw mechanism or one of the tabs.

If you can't remove the tip yourself, the only other option is to send it to Dell for repair.  Sorry yours broke but I have removed my tip multiple times and never had a problem.

PEN2.jpgPN579X

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Ryan XPS 9575
1 Copper

Can you please provide  a link to show what exact nibs can be used?

0 Kudos
SheenaSharp
1 Copper

I have had 2 pens where the tip does not screw off.

I lost the one that did.

As long as it screw off, the design is practical, otherwise, unworkable.

my apple pen is much better.

0 Kudos
Virla
1 Copper

Just had this happen - tip broke off at a point slightly within the end so there was no way to grab it.  I tried twisting and pulling but it was not budging.  Finally grabbed a fine point needle and worked it around the edge of the tip, speared it a little, and slowly brought it out to a point where regular tweezers could grab it.  Hope this idea helps anyone still struggling with this problem.

0 Kudos