Annoying fan noises on 2018 XPS 15 9570

I am currently sitting in a library with nothing but Google Chrome opened up on my XPS. Google chrome and nothing else. But my fan noises are absolutely ridiculous. They will flare up to full speed for a second, the shut off. Then speed up to half speed for 5 sec, then shut off, flare to full speed for half a second, shut off for 10 sec, then flare up again etc. etc. It is crazy annoying.

In the dell power manager I've selected the "quite" settings, my Nvidia1050ti is only used when I'm running heavy applications like games, otherwise my intel integrated graphics is used, and my battery setting is at "better battery."

I don't get why my fans are acting so obnoxious when I am running nothing that requires this much cooling. The noise is ridiculous and very distracting since I am in such a quiet environment. It'd be one thing if the fans were constant, but to flare on and off so quickly is a whole other deal. I could not find any solution elsewhere on the internet, so can somebody pleeease help me with this?

I was really happy with my XPS when I first got it three months ago. As time goes on, though, I become less and less happy with it. I keep running into small issues like this that have no obvious solution. At this point, if I could return my XPS for a macbook, I 1000% would. 

41 Replies
YuSoTan
1 Copper

Re: Annoying fan noises on 2018 XPS 15 9570

I'm facing the same issue with an XPS15 9570 I9 1050ti

With the Dell power settings on quiet, I personally still find the fans really irritating when doing light task such as browsing with multiple tabs opening, a colleague could even hear my laptop from across the room and thought my machine was about to overheat itself. 

Like many others I've reinstalled a fresh instance of Windows, updated all software and BIOS to 1.3.0 etc etc

I've contacted Dell, who will be sending out a tech to replace fans and heat sync but not getting my hopes up...

jakubkorzecki
1 Copper

Same thing is happening to me!

I've read up on it a little bit and apparently the xps 13 and 2-in-1 variants have too had this issue. It has been addressed and fixed in the latest BIOS update, so I'm waiting for an update for the xps 15 9570. 

Btw, exactly the same situation, they turn off for about 10 seconds and turn back on again, then off and FLARE UP as if my laptop was about to overheat, I see the exact same cycle happen all the time. 

My thermal management settings are set to "Quiet". 

Tags (1)

The fan is embarrassing loud. When it kicks on in class, everyone looks at me.

0 Kudos
SiddheshTiwari
1 Copper

I bought my dell XPS 15 2 days ago  and I am facing the same issue. It seems like the fan is hitting something it makes so much noise. I cant sleep at night. If I run some code it wont stop making the noise. if I watch something for long  duration it will start again. Its so annoying when you pay so much for a machine and realize that dell rolls out their product without even testing. BTW this my replacement laptop first one was having speaker problem which I found out is also very common. Why would they launch their flagship model with so many defects

0 Kudos
AJRIver1
2 Iron

@SiddheshTiwari wrote:

Why would they launch their flagship model with so many defects

This is the million dollar question.  The XPS has had the fan issue since the 9550, yet Dell has done nothing to address it, and instructs all of their tech support people to state that the computer is operating normally.  Meanwhile, the fans sound like a jet engine with one tab of Chrome open.

I am wondering whether there is a subset of us who are just unlucky enough to receive defective machines. Or is everyone else just accepting the fan noise and not letting it bother them?

To the poster who is having their fans replaced, be careful.  The person they sent out to work on my computer made the problem noticeably worse, adding a grinding noise to the fans, then acted like he couldn't hear a difference before running out of my office

AJRIver1
2 Iron

I've contacted Dell, who will be sending out a tech to replace fans and heat sync but not getting my hopes up...

Was the tech able to solve the problem? Are your fans still always on?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Deeepp
1 Copper

I have had my xps 9570 2018 for just over a month now and have already gotten my fans and heat sinks replaced before because of the same issue and still made no difference. Currently my fan are always on even when idle or while im on chrome. Dell really need to figure this out and resolve the issue asap.

Matt Sari.
1 Copper

I have the same problem. Has anyone reached Support about it?

sujsi
1 Copper

Same issue here. Is there any fix ?? Dell please look into this