Tedmann12
1 Copper

Re: Annoying fan noises on 2018 XPS 15 9570

I'm having the same issues. Brand new XPS 15 9570, and I have chrome open and my fans just start blasting then turning off. On and off constantly. Every 10-20 second it's either on, then its off. It's totally ridiculous at work when a few colleagues and I are quietly working around our desks and my computer is becoming a distraction for everyone.

I can't imagine that people are ok with this fan noise.

Please fix this!

samos1111
3 Zinc

> Per our technicians, the thermal system is working as designed and the fan noise is within the accepted parameters for the system. So this is part of Dell customer alienation programme? > Due to the compact ultrabook design of the system, there is less room to fit in the heatsink and associated fans alongside the other hardware components. As a result of this, the system has a lower threshold for heat and the ability to dissipate it. ... You mean to say that the 9570 is so thermally borderline that it can't work without such annoying measures? The 9570 has an obvious issue of not being able to sustain longer heavier workloads without heavy downthrottling of clocks. This was "addressed" with and irreversible BIOS update which lowered the GPU throttling threshold, although it appears that the issues were caused by VRM overheating rather than GPU overheating. There is also a revised motherboard... But I'm really curious why Dell engineers didn't consider extending the heat-spreader plate over the VRM mosfets, as it is done in AW m15, G5, even XPS 15 9575. And finally introducing a proper QC check of the thermal paste performance, to which the XPS 15 is highly sensitive.
A_Kri
2 Iron

I have the same issue and posted a lot about the fan issue over at this topic: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-Bios-1-7-Fan-3sec-On-Off-Issue-on-Idle-dGPU/m-p/72664...

After the issue got escalated, I got this message in return:
"We had escalated this to the product team & we were not able to replicate the issue anywhere. Since the issue you have is that there is a fan blast every few seconds (which is not loud) & is not affecting the performance.

If you still observe the issue, we can have the system picked up for service & ensure that this is resolved at the earliest."

I am not willing to send my notebook in. I don't have the time to be some weeks without any Notebook.

People are not OK with this issue. But dell can't replicate the issue or does not want to recognize it.

Despite there are many other users and I collected countless posts from reddit and dells forum.

I asked @DELL-Cares if he can reach out to those other users. Unfortuantely he can't:
"Unlike earlier, we do not have an option to reach out to a customer directly on the forum as this is assigned to us through a tool."

If somebody with the same issue can send his system to DELL and live some weeks without the xps, contact @DELL-Cares

I am also worried that in the end after recognizing this issue, they would just say something like "It is working as intended".

That's how they responded to lowering the GPU temp setpoint from 78°C to 74°C:
https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-bring-back-the-78-C-GPU-set-point/m-p/7276807/highlig...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jayden_F
1 Copper

I have had my XPS 15 9570 for 5 months now. It started making the fan noises as described in this thread. Kicking in while browsing internet. It was unusable in public. Now the fan is permanently LOUD and goes up and down constantly. Makes stuttering sound. I can't even use it at home. Sounds like it's going to explode. Is there a fix for this yet? Complete junk if not. 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tedmann12,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

How to Troubleshoot Fan Issues

How to Fix Computer Fan Noise

Undesired fan noises on Inspiron/XPS Notebook/Vostro Notebook/Mobile Precision/Latitude systems

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
AJRIver1
2 Iron

@Jayden_F wrote:

I have had my XPS 15 9570 for 5 months now. It started making the fan noises as described in this thread. Kicking in while browsing internet. It was unusable in public. Now the fan is permanently LOUD and goes up and down constantly. Makes stuttering sound. I can't even use it at home. Sounds like it's going to explode. Is there a fix for this yet? Complete junk if not. 

You're lucky you got 5 months of a usable XPS 15.  All of mine arrived directly out of the box as you described.  If the fans didn't start up during the setup screen (with no internet connection mind you) they'd come on with 1 tab of Chrome and 1% of CPU usage.  When plugged into the AC Adapter, the fan noise would increase significantly.  If I opened a moderately CPU intensive program, the fans would sound like an F-16 in the middle of a dogfight. There would be times in which I actually worried bc I literally thought the computer was going to explode.  Dell and the Dell representatives have used the excuse that the chassis is thin and state that the machines are "operating within their normal parameters" instead of acknowledging the poor design and seemingly non-existent quality control. I'm currently typing this on a MacBook Pro that is completely silent, cost the same price, is significantly thinner and lighter, has over 100 tabs of Safari open as well as 10 other programs, and is plugged into the power adapter. It's clearly a better designed and better performing machine. Yet I see reviews stating that the XPS 15 is a "Mac Killer."  It doesn't make any sense. The only thing I can surmise is that either the reviewers receive machines which have been quality controlled that the rest of us normal customers aren't privy to, or the reviewers are paid to turn a blind eye to the glaring issues of the laptop.  I don't understand how Dell can correct the fan issues with their XPS 15 line if they won't even acknowledge the problem in the first place.  It's tantamount to a stubborn individual who won't take any advice or acknowledge any wrongdoing. How are they supposed to improve if they won't heed any advice? 

0 Kudos
AJRIver1
2 Iron

I am also worried that in the end after recognizing this issue, they would just say something like "It is working as intended".

They will. It's really sad and quite frustrating. They act as if nothing is wrong with the fans / design of the machine. I now know why people pay a premium for Macs.  Ironically, in this case, the highest spec XPS 15 is the same price as a Mac.  The only solution is to return the machine and buy something else.

Danth3man
1 Copper

Much agreed. Same issue here. Fan constantly surging high and low every 10 seconds or so, even when just having a browser open. Latest updates, re-pasted, Dell service technician has replaced the heat sinks, i use it with the back end propped up for better airflow, nothing...

Dell has produced a massive batch of noise makers and they cant come to terms with what they have done. Do not buy the 9570 if you are concerned at all about ambient annoying sounds in your work/play place.

Dan

vsahah7
1 Copper

I am experiencing the same issue - out of the box - and after applying all patches and bios update. I wish I had seen this thread before I bought it. I am most likely going to return it.

In my case, I noticed that without any browser or application open and running the fan goes on and off every few minutes. I have the laptop on a stand so the bottom is open and no airflow restrictions anywhere. I think this is basically a flawed product from Dell. 

minsam
2 Bronze

If it is a fan problem, then this model of computer should have similar problems. Try turning off all the sounds on your computer, turn off a lot of apps, and try using a hot fan. If you can't, Consider replacing the fan or going to the repair shop.

0 Kudos