vsahah7
1 Copper

Re: Annoying fan noises on 2018 XPS 15 9570

@minsam wrote:

If it is a fan problem, then this model of computer should have similar problems. Try turning off all the sounds on your computer, turn off a lot of apps, and try using a hot fan. If you can't, Consider replacing the fan or going to the repair shop.

This is a design issue. The fan is doing it's best to dissipate the heat but it's not enough and it's too noisy.

0 Kudos
erodygin
1 Copper

Dell replaced fans on my 9570 three times and after the last they works noticeably quieter. There are still all those problems with fans acting crazy - running on when the lid closed, or starts/stops every 10 seconds, etc... 

And a new problem with my poor XPS 15 just came up and I was wondering if anyone experience something similar - it is weird sound (sometimes quite loud) coming from somewhere bottom right of the laptop during the dell logo on boot or if you are in BIOS. It's quite loud when plugged in, but more quite when unplugged. I am wondering if it is one of the fan is dies again or something else?

Dell going to send me a technician 5th time to replace a motherboard and fans again, but it is only fix one problem and creates another... 

0 Kudos
iline
1 Copper

I appreciate that Dell has put a Max-Q GPU and a six-core CPU in the same form factor as the 9550; these are both components with a significantly higher power draw and heat output than the i7/960M the case was originally designed for.

I applied the registry edit that pertained to SSD drives causing 100% load at idle - still the fan noise persisted.

I have a suspicion that an uneven load on the CPU may be caused by the onboard graphics - I will test whether low-load on the discrete GPU resolves the matter, but I'm not extremely hopeful, especially if my first statement proves correct.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
A_Kri
2 Iron

@iline wrote:

I applied the registry edit that pertained to SSD drives causing 100% load at idle - still the fan noise persisted.

Do you have a link to the SSD load issue? Can you point me to the associated registry entry? Just wanna know what is causeing that issue.

0 Kudos
ukognas34
1 Copper

I also have/had these fans issues, but I think I might have some solutions. The fans are on only when my XPS is charging, or when I use some heavy applications. When it's plugged in but not charging, the fans are off.
I'm running Windows 10 1903, and the BIOS 1.10. I have an XPS 9570, with i7, 16GB of ram.

Here is a list of issues I had and how I manage to resolve them :

- one of my fans was noisy, there was like a vibration sound so DELL replaced it and it resolves the issue.

- My fans were starting, and staying on for 10 seconds when I was launching some apps, like the task manager for example. I noticed that it was due to the nvidia card being acitvated for 1 second when launching some apps. It was the "System.exe" app using the nvidia gpu at launch, and it was appearing very briefly in the task manager. Unfortunately when the nvidia gpu is used, the fans starts, no matter the temperature.
To resolve this, I had to disable the nvidia card in the device manager, and now I enable it only when I need it, for games.

- After 1 month, a problem began to appear : when my XPS was plugged in (charging or not), my fans were always on, at a low speed but always on. On battery, it was like you : turned on at high speed for few seconds, then off for 10 seconds, etc...
I noticed after a reboot, the issue was gone sometimes. I also noticed that when the fans were going crazy, my battery life was pretty bad. So I decided to control the power consumption of the CPU, with core temp, or hwmonitor. And I found the problem : the normal idle power is between 0,5 and 1W for the CPU package, but sometimes (typically after hibernate) my idle power consumption was between 3,5 and 4W! And when the idle power was 4W, the fans were going crazy, and the battery life was bad. I don't know if this is significant, but the high power consumption was coming from the "uncore" part of the processor, which was staying at 3W on idle.
This problem is probably related to a C state problem.
After dozens hours of searching, and trying everything, I finally found the source of the problem : the nvidia GPU.
I don't know why and how, but enabling and disabling again the nvidia card in the device manager solved the power consumption problem. It seems that the problem also happens to those who let the nvidia card activated.
To solve the issue, I created a script using devcon to enable then disable the Nvidia GPU at startup, and this problem never showed again. If you want to let it enabled, you can make a script to disable and then enable it.
I don't know at which frequency this problem happens, but I think it's always after a reboot that it can show up, so launching this script at startup (with the task scheduler) solved the issue.

- I had issues with the fans turned on while sleeping.
To solve this, you need to disable de connected sleep in the registry. Honestly, I like the connected sleep, so I have choosen that the power button put my XPS on hibernate. I've done the same for closing the lid.

So now, my XPS is pleasant to use. I advise you to do the same.
If you have fans issue, check your CPU power consumption. If it never goes below 3.5W, there is the problem!
I also advise you to choose the optimized mode on dell power manager, because the silent mode will only reduce the maximum speed of the fans, but they will not come on less often.

I hope it will help you with your fans issues!

0 Kudos
Nine_ to_five
1 Copper

same here!

0 Kudos
vaultmeta
1 Copper

If anyone is still looking for a "fix" all I had to do was go into BIOS settings and disable Turbo Boost, now it doesn't get as hot because it doesn't scale up the clock rate, but I really don't notice any performance difference. So it may be a trade-off worth considering if you're annoyed by the fan noise.

0 Kudos