Re: Annoying fan noises on 2018 XPS 15 9570

Matt Sari.

Click the links below for resolving fan noise.

Undesired fan noises on Inspiron/XPS Notebook/Vostro Notebook/Mobile Precision/Latitude systems

How to Troubleshoot Fan Issues

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
abkaye
1 Copper

@DELL-Jesse L 

This does not help. Is there a BIOS update coming that will fix the fan issue, or no? I don't feel like continuing to switch out units if there isn't actually a fix for this problem.

0 Kudos

abkaye,

I have not heard if there is a Bios update coming. I have a meeting this week and will find out.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
ofisboy
1 Copper

i hope you guys can solve this problem. i'm a developer and if i can't use ubuntu, this laptop is basically useless for me. i don't want to go back to apple. please. thanks.
0 Kudos
luosifan
1 Copper

Have you figured out how to solve it? I just bought a dell xps 15 32 GB and it's very noisy! I work in an open space environment and it's quite disturbing to my colleagues to have a loud and noisy computer. 

Tags (1)
pirinto
1 Nickel

I have the i9 with 32GB and this sounds like a jet plane. It's hard to get some work done when this thing doesn't do anything other than that on the lightest work load.

Any updates on this?

julienl11
1 Copper

Have the exact same system specs with i9 and 32gb ram, same issue, sounds like a jet plane, I think I will return this XPS 15, what a waste of time and money !!!
pirinto
1 Copper

No response still?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi pirinto,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Per our technicians, the thermal system is working as designed and the fan noise is within the accepted parameters for the system.

Due to the compact ultrabook design of the system, there is less room to fit in the heatsink and associated fans alongside the other hardware components. As a result of this, the system has a lower threshold for heat and the ability to dissipate it. 

When the system is under load the cpu fans kick in at a lower point compared to say a conventional laptop and due to their smaller size have to work harder to effectively cool the system. This means the fan noise is louder than usual in what you would consider normal usage. 

They also recommend updating the BIOS to the latest revision when they are available as they can have updated thermal tables to reduce fan noise.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

@dell-robert p wrote:

When the system is under load the cpu fans kick in at a lower point compared to say a conventional laptop and due to their smaller size have to work harder to effectively cool the system. This means the fan noise is louder than usual in what you would consider normal usage. 

The issue is that the fans kick in even without any load. 

@dell-robert p wrote:

Per our technicians, the thermal system is working as designed and the fan noise is within the accepted parameters for the system.

The technicians should look one more time into their code.

@dell-robert p wrote:

They also recommend updating the BIOS to the latest revision when they are available as they can have updated thermal tables to reduce fan noise.

Following this recommendation I got fan issues in the first place.

In another topic I posted a summary describing the issue.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-Bios-1-7-Fan-3sec-On-Off-Issue-on-Idle-dGPU/m-p/72662...

There you can find videos that proof that the fans kick in without any load. I do not consider a mouse click to be a decent load for this notebook that leads to the fans kicking in. I hope you agree with me on that.

Also the referenced links in that post show other users to deal with similar issues.

For debugging I would recommend your technicians to look at the changelog from Bios 1.6 to Bios 1.7.

From what I have researched, there you have the best chance to find the issue in your fan management.

Some users say that even before Bios 1.7 there were issues, but it got worse with the update. Yes, a temperature bug with the nvidia gpu was solved, but the fan issue appeared.

Another dell moderator escalated it to the product team recently.

But in my opinion more moderators could escalet it. So there is a chance that Dell will finally recognize this issue.

0 Kudos