Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2020 22:00

Anyone Else Having Weird Colorful Freezes on your XPS 13 7390 2-in-1?

So I got this Notebook in my hands 2 days ago. I had it crash while just browsing, while installing stuff, while doing coding... Basically it crashes randomly seemingly regardless of whether it's plugged, under load or anything.

I've installed the latest updates from both Microsoft and from Intel on the display drivers and nothing.
It is worth noting I've configured HDR games and APPs ON and reduced my DPI to 250%.

I checked event view, not a single log about it, even if I leave my computer alone for a minute before restarting. It is also unresponsive during the freeze and will not react to power button unless held down for force reset.

This notebook has otherwise worked perfectly, and Dell Assist app concluded there was no issue with hardware or registries and Windows Maintenance also found no issues.

Has anyone had the same issue?
Is that a know issue?

Any solutions?

I'm all ears....

Print Screen of One of the Several Times it FrozePrint Screen of One of the Several Times it Froze

2 Posts

February 21st, 2020 06:00

Yes i've a similar problem but i do not get your colourful artwork on your screen.

Mine just freezes in place and everything is unresponsive except the backlight on the keyboard.

I could be just browsing or doing light work, it would freeze randomly.

It's fairly new about 2-3months and the FHD model instead of 2-in-1, i've searched the internet trying different things but nothing has fixed it yet.

I also have to hold power button to get it to shutdown.

February 21st, 2020 17:00

In my case I did two actions that ultimately kind of solved the problem:

1-Update the firmware. (very important)

2-Unchecked HDR in games and apps on Windows Settings. (it was unchecked by default)

Your issue might not be the same. But I would recommend the same steps, this kind of total system freeze, akin to Blue Screen of Death but worse, is likely caused by firmware and drivers. You can use the MyDell app to update everything easily or do it yourself.

May 1st, 2020 13:00

100% same problem 

I didn't turn on the HDR settings, it's off now, still random colourful freezes. Very frustrating 

Is there any other way to fix it?

May 2nd, 2020 08:00

Yes, essentially all you have to do is update your GPU drivers and your firmware. I suggest using the pre-installed Dell app. At least it was what did it for me, I can even use HDR on without my display barfing an impressionist painting.

May 2nd, 2020 08:00

I was using it, now I've swithced to the latest Intel driver, with no luck

Now I've disabled hardware acceleration in browser and C-state in bios, waiting... 

May 5th, 2020 00:00

It seems I've found the way. 

I've installed older version of video drivers - July 2019. And it works fine. More that 24 hours without any freezing

With newer drivers it works only with HW acceleration off (everywhere, like, videoplayer, powerpoint, browser etc)

Newer doesn't meant better

• 

25.1K Posts

May 5th, 2020 00:00

We are glad to know the step you tried has fixed the issue. Please observe the system and let us know if the system freezes again. ^PC

May 10th, 2020 01:00

Yes, it's still there, much rare then before but still at least once per day...

I'm really disappointed with that.. 

• 

25.1K Posts

May 10th, 2020 02:00

We understand your concern and apologize for the inconvenience caused. Rest assured this shall be rectified with Windows update. ^MP

May 13th, 2020 03:00

Do you mean the Windows May 2020 Update? Or another update?

• 

25.1K Posts

May 13th, 2020 04:00

That should be though the regular Windows update which happens periodically. However, we are unable to commit on how soon this could be available. ^PM

May 30th, 2020 06:00

May Update didn't help and Dell Support recommended to go to service center. 

Turning off the Hardware acceleration is helping somehow, in a way it's freezes not each day, but once per two -three days

Seems like 2KUSD laptop is not tested properly 

272 Posts

May 30th, 2020 06:00

You are not alone. Every other customer that brought this model has problems similar to yours.

You will have to wait until Dell comes up with a fix.

Until then you will have to live with the product.

If it is a hardware issue then Dell will definitely recall these products and send the better ones.

May 30th, 2020 07:00

Let's wait for sure, anyway it's not something I expected when I decided to buy this 

June 7th, 2020 08:00

It's sounds a bit crazy, but after I've deleted the Intel Graphics Command Center application, laptop became more stable

No freezes for a 3 days already

No Events found!