Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2018 01:00

XPS 15 9570, TB3 USB-C, non-supported Apple Thunderbolt Display?

Hello,

I intend to buy a Dell XPS 15 9570. I want to use an Apple Thunderbolt Display as an external monitor, which has a Thunderbolt 2 port, a FireWire port, 3 USB ports and a Gigabyte Ethernet port.

I will use an Apple adapter, to convert the Thunderbolt port of the monitor to TB3 USB-C.

My question is if the Dell computer will detect the ports of the monitor and I can use the Ethernet port of the monitor to connect to the internet and the USB ports of the monitor to connect external keyboard and mouse or a flash drive or any USB device.

Thank you very much.

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2018 06:00

Hi Alfredo,

I come back with good news. I finally found how to solve my problem. I first thought that I just needed to update the Thunderbolt driver and the chipset firmware, but it was not enough. I tried to configure thunderbolt software, allowing the use of Thunderbolt devices not certified for PC. Finally, the display started to work only after I went in the BIOS setup and select "BIOS Assist Enumeration" in place of "Native Enumeration" for the "Thunderbolt Auto Switch" parameter. Now, all is fine ! My two Apple Thunderbolt displays works fine with all functionalities (integrated camera, integrated speaker, usb ports, ethernet port) and using the Apple adapter Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt.

Hoping this will help you.

Thierry.

IMG_3709.JPG

I took a photo of my new XPS 15 9570 next to my Macbook Pro 2014 still in use for my iOs developments.
The XPS multitouch trackpad is very pleasant to use with gestures close to Macbook Pro (to one, two, three or four fingers gestures) 

IMG_3710.JPG

2 Posts

July 20th, 2018 09:00

Hello,

I ordered a new Dell XPS 15 9570 that I just received today. I want also to use Apple Thunderbolt Display as external monitor, two in fact the second is chained on the first.

But it does not work. The displays stay black. To connect the display on the XPS, I use the Apple adapter (thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt). I also try to connect only one display, disconnecting the second one from the first but it does not work too.

I already connect my Apple Thunderbolt Display on a HP Spectre X360 2017 model from a friend and it was working very well.

I will try to check and update if possible the concerned softwares (boot firmware, thunderbolt driver).

Thierry, from France.

July 23rd, 2018 04:00

Hi Thierry,

Thank you very much for your comment. Please, let me know if you finally got the monitor and its ports working with your XPS.

Thank you. Alfredo

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 23rd, 2018 06:00

It might work, so I'm curious what happened with Thierry above where it worked on an HP system but not the Dell system.  Making sure your system firmware, Thunderbolt firmware, and Thunderbolt driver/software are all current is definitely an important point, and then I would be curious if the Thunderbolt Display triggered the device authorization popup that normally occurs when connecting new Thunderbolt devices.  Another option you can try at least for testing is changing your Thunderbolt security level to "No authorization", which is done in the BIOS.  In that case, you won't need to approve the device during the authorization popup.  I don't recommend using that configuration going forward, but again it might be interesting as a data point.

July 24th, 2018 04:00

Hi Thierry,

Thank you so much for your answer. The truth is that knowing that there is a solution to be able to continue using the Apple monitor encourages me to definitely buy the Dell XPS notebook.

Thanks again.

Alfredo

1 Message

October 4th, 2018 04:00

Hi 

I have purchased a dell gaming pc Inspiron 5680 with USB C port in the front but my Apple Thunderbolt Display won’t work.

can someone please help?

cheers

Sam 

1 Message

October 23rd, 2018 03:00

Hi. How to adjust brightness of Apple Thunderbolt Display. I connected my Apple Thunderbolt Display from thunderbolt 3 port of Dell G7 via (Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter).Its work but can not adjust the brightness of display. Thanks.

3 Posts

November 17th, 2018 06:00

Hello, friends!  I  have dell xps9360,  apple thunderbolt display and adapter apple tb3->tb2. And I still have no idea how to connect it.

Am I  need apple drivers for it? Or intel thunderbolt drivers only?

Pleease help me, kind people.

I check out thunderbolt pre-boot settings in BIOS, it is all enabled, but apple display stays black..

And when windows is started - it bring me messages - the functionality of the thunderbolt devices can be limited and  usb device in not recognised.

3 Posts

November 18th, 2018 09:00

Hello! How do you did that? What software you installed for connecting apple tb display? I need your help)

6 Posts

January 18th, 2019 02:00

I have similar situation. I am currently using mac book pro with apple thunderbolt display. I connect power cord to display and another connector connected to mac book pro, i think it is tb2 port. This is perfectly working for many year now. I am planning to buy window based laptop such as dell XPS15 or hP. to replace mac book pro. I want to connect thunderbolt display. I have brought the TB-3 to TB-2 adapter also from apple. Before buying laptop i want to be sure the connection will work.

Which laptop do you suggest? How to set-up the devices?

Your above post given some confident that it is possible to do this. I brought hP Pavilion laptop which had USB-C port but looked similar as TB-3 and tried connecting with  TB display but could not work, i sold this laptop and waiting for buying a new one but correct one at this time, hence your advice will be of much use.

Please help

6 Posts

January 29th, 2019 09:00

Can you please provide the steps to connect dell XPS 9570 to apple display via TB3-2 adapter? I planning to buy the same dell laptop

6 Posts

February 2nd, 2019 04:00

Dear Tmoutet, I today brought Dell XPS 9570, connected the apple TB-3 to TB-2 adapter but the screen is blank. Please share the steps required to set-up. Appreciate any link and help. Thanks

6 Posts

February 6th, 2019 08:00

Same like you able to connect Dell XPS 9570 to apple thunderbolt display with a apple TB-3 to 2 adapter. I want to try HDMI to TB display, Is it possible? I have HDMI to TB-2 adapter and my display has TB-2 port in the back and it is working.

1 Message

March 7th, 2019 00:00

Hi Thierry Thanks so much - you are a legend, I got my mac monitor to connect to my XPS 13 9380 with your help. if anyone wants to know how to access bios on a Dell - here are some helpful instructions: https://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/aubsd1/sln143038/access-uefi-bios-system-setup-from-windows-on-your-dell-system?lang=en Cheers Lucy

1 Message

May 21st, 2019 07:00

Thank you a lot Thierry. It worked on my XPS 15 as well :Smile:

No Events found!