JBR1968
1 Copper

Re: Apple Thunderbolt Display port & XPS 15 Thunderbolt3

I have similar situation. I am currently using mac book pro with apple thunderbolt display. I connect power cord to display and another connector connected to mac book pro, i think it is tb2 port. This is perfectly working for many year now. I am planning to buy window based laptop such as dell XPS15 or hP. to replace mac book pro. I want to connect thunderbolt display. I have brought the TB-3 to TB-2 adapter also from apple. Before buying laptop i want to be sure the connection will work.

Which laptop do you suggest? How to set-up the devices?

Your above post given some confident that it is possible to do this. I brought hP Pavilion laptop which had USB-C port but looked similar as TB-3 and tried connecting with  TB display but could not work, i sold this laptop and waiting for buying a new one but correct one at this time, hence your advice will be of much use.

Please help

0 Kudos
JBR1968
1 Copper

Can you please provide the steps to connect dell XPS 9570 to apple display via TB3-2 adapter? I planning to buy the same dell laptop
0 Kudos
JBR1968
1 Copper

Dear Tmoutet, I today brought Dell XPS 9570, connected the apple TB-3 to TB-2 adapter but the screen is blank. Please share the steps required to set-up. Appreciate any link and help. Thanks
0 Kudos
JBR1968
1 Copper

Same like you able to connect Dell XPS 9570 to apple thunderbolt display with a apple TB-3 to 2 adapter. I want to try HDMI to TB display, Is it possible? I have HDMI to TB-2 adapter and my display has TB-2 port in the back and it is working.
0 Kudos
luwave
1 Copper

Hi Thierry Thanks so much - you are a legend, I got my mac monitor to connect to my XPS 13 9380 with your help. if anyone wants to know how to access bios on a Dell - here are some helpful instructions: https://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/aubsd1/sln143038/access-uefi-bios-system-setup-from-windo... Cheers Lucy
0 Kudos
joao.aav
1 Copper

Thank you a lot Thierry. It worked on my XPS 15 as well :Smile:

0 Kudos
vitodevito
1 Copper

hi Thierry. I hope you can help me solve my problem. I have an xps 9575. In the BIOS I can't find the Thunderbolt Auto switch section. Bios version 1.5.1. Do you have any solution? Dell's support can't help me

0 Kudos
vitodevito
1 Copper

Hi Thierry. I have done some other research and would like to know what you think about. XPS 15 9570 and XPS 15 9575 are equipped with a different thunderbolt chipset. 9570 Alpine Ridge; 9575 Titan Ridge. In the second Intel blocked the possibility of going into "legacy mode" which is the Apple TB1 standard. It also appears that Intel has banned changes by OEMs. For this the 9575 BIOS has no Thunderbolt Auto Switch section. Is there anyone who can contribute to overcome the problem?

0 Kudos