Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

9 Posts

October 16th, 2022 19:00

Audio issues - Dell XPS 13 Plus 9320

XPS 13 Plus 9320

XPS 13 Plus 9320

Lately, I've been having a lot of audio issues with my laptop. Sometimes, the audio will cut off out of nowhere. When watching a YouTube video, it would say, "Audio renderer error. Please restart your computer." When I restart the laptop, it fixes itself, but the problem always comes back later, requiring me to restart it several times each day. The system doesn't detect any issues and all drivers are up to date. This seems to be a known issue among the XPS line. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

1 Message

December 6th, 2022 16:00

Don't know yet if its a permanent solution, but I took another route...I was having the same symptoms reported, failing sound, only windows sound and Youtube playback error...but what took my attention is that if I go to control panel/sound and selected the speakers to try a test, there was a "another app using sound" error...so I entered properties/advanced and deselected "allow apps to take exclusive control of this device"....the problem disappeared and its been ok for the last few hours. Will report back if problem comes back.

Capture1.JPG

7 Posts

October 19th, 2022 08:00

I am having very similar issues that seem to have started since the last feature update a couple weeks ago.  I'll try to play spotify or something like that and i'll get a message that it can't be played.  What I do is go into the sound settings and try the "test" sound.  If it doesn't work I have to change the speaker permission to "don't allow" and then back to "allow"....then sound is back.  SUPER FRUSTRATING after spending over$2200 on this machine!  Dell, fix this!!

Does anyone know what sound driver should be pre-installed.  Mine seems to now have the Intel Smart Sound MIPI for Soundwire, but I don't think this is what it came with.

457 Posts

October 20th, 2022 00:00

Did you do the feature update to 22H2? I have the 9320 Plus and am keeping it on 21H2 till further notice.

7 Posts

October 20th, 2022 06:00

Yes, unfortunately I did update to 22H2.  I wish I hadn't.

457 Posts

October 21st, 2022 02:00

You should be able to revert back to 21H2 either using built in Windows functionality or Dell functionality

October 22nd, 2022 13:00

Looking at the updates, I see that 22H2 is an available update. I guess I probably shouldn't update it for now?

457 Posts

October 23rd, 2022 04:00

I am keeping my 9320 on 21H2 until I need to upgrade to 22H2 (when 21H2 is EOL).

2 Posts

October 31st, 2022 00:00

Has anyone figured out how to fix this? How do you revert back to 21H2?

7 Posts

October 31st, 2022 06:00

You only have a certain amount of time to go back.  Unfortunately that time already passed for me so I'm stuck.  And honestly this audio problem is making me absolutely crazy.  

Dell REALLY needs to do something about this!!

457 Posts

October 31st, 2022 23:00

You do not have any restore points either in Windows built in restore point system or Dell's restore system (restore points that have 21H2)?

1 Message

November 16th, 2022 13:00

Any update on this???

Been having the same issue, and like you; it's driving me absolutely insane!!!!

This happens at least half a dozen times a day and although it appears to be random, there are a couple of patterns I've begun to notice that always require a restart:

1. Starting the laptop up from 'Sleep Mode': Guaranteed I will need to reset if it's been asleep for more than 1hr

2. If I let the battery go below 20% and plug in the charger cable. Doesn't matter what I'm watching, it will just stop rendering the audio and I need to restart.

This needs fixing ASAP!!!!!!!

7 Posts

November 17th, 2022 09:00

No, and it's REALLY starting to irritate me!!  Every time it happens, the only way I can get sound back is to toggle this setting (picture attached):Screenshot 2022-11-17 122755.jpg

1 Message

November 18th, 2022 19:00

This isn't a complete fix but I found turning 'System Sounds' and 3rd party messenger app notifications 'OFF', has stopped this error.

3 Posts

November 19th, 2022 19:00

EDIT: Scroll down on my post to see instructions for fixing.

I have the exact same issue, with an XPS 13 9320 running 22H2 build 22621.819

The problem stems from some kind of issue with application sounds vs windows sounds. I'm able to accurately reproduce this error as follows.

1. Bluetooth off (probably doesn't matter, but I just wanted to rule out this as a cause)
  2. Start computer (doesn't matter if battery or plugged in).
  3. Immediately open YouTube in Chrome, play a video for a few seconds.
  4. Sound will output through laptop speakers as expected.
  5. Pause the YouTube video.
  6. In the taskbar at the bottom right, adjust the volume.
  7. When adjusting the volume there is NO windows "ding" or "beep".
  8. Keep adjusting the volume until you hear a "ding" or "beep" when changing the volume. This can take 5-10 seconds but it will start working eventually. Once that ding noise appears, it means that YouTube no longer works. 
  9. Go back to YouTube, now you will get "Audio renderer error. Please restart your computer".

A solution instead of restarting your computer is restarting the "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" inside the windows Services screen.

So; it seems that it is always one or the other. Either the native windows beeps/sounds work, or other audio does not work.

I have six drivers in Device Manager as follows:

• Intel Smart Sound Technology for Bluetooth Audio - 10.29.0.7767
  • Intel Smart Sound Technology for MIPI SoundWire Audio - 10.29.0.7767
  • Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio - 10.29.0.7767
  • Realtek SoundWire HW Audio Codec Device Driver - 10.0.66.191

EDIT: I FOUND A FIX. Here is what I did. I had to modify some steps I saw In this thread.

I am not sure which steps are necessary or not but here is exactly what I did.

1. Go to the official Dell website and downloaded "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver" version "10.0.66.191, A03".
  2. Disable internet
  3. Open Device Manager
  4. Open dropdown "Sound, video and game controllers"
  5. Uninstall Intel Smart Sound Audio and all Realtek audio drivers (check the box to delete drivers).
  6. Open dropdown "System devices"
  7. Uninstall Intel Smart Sound Technology OED (also check the box)
  8. You will now see a red cross over the audio output in the taskbar.
  9. Restart laptop.
  10. Run the Dell drivers you downloaded in step 1, restart when prompted.
  11. Now when you restart you will still see a red cross over the audio output in the taskbar, don't panic.
  12. Open "Device Manager" and wait a bit, within a minute you should see all the devices pop back up.
  13. Restart again
  14. Now audio is working properly - you can play YouTube *and* windows sounds eg clicking the volume slider it beeps but does not cut out the YouTube audio.

For reference the updated drivers I have now are:

• Intel Smart Sound Technology for Bluetooth Audio - 10.29.0.7541
  • Intel Smart Sound Technology for MIPI SoundWire Audio - 10.29.0.7541
  • Realtek SoundWire HW Audio Codec Device Driver - 10.0.66.187

NOTE: "Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio" is missing and under the "Other devices" dropdown in Device Manager I have "USB device".

Everything seems to be working normally, but to get this final device back you need to do the following:

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Open "Other Devices" dropdown
  3. Right click "USB Device" and choose "Update driver"
  4. Choose "Search automatically for drivers"
  5. "Search for updated drivers on Windows Update"
  6. This should load up the windows update screen, now press "Check for updates"
  7. This then triggers Windows to download the driver for this. You should see it install
  8. Go back to Device Manager and verify you now have "Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio" version "10.29.0.7541"

The fact I have to go through all this pain to get consistent audio working on a $2000 laptop is SO ridiculous. Not to mention we have multiple users complaining and Dell doesn't bother to write anything in here? Not impressed.

Every day I was hoping there would be some driver update but eventually I had to take matters into my own hands, do Dell's job and after many hours of research and testing finally found a fix to this incredibly annoying problem. Shame on you Dell.

3 Posts

November 19th, 2022 20:00

So to summarize; the latest Realtek and Intel Smart Sound drivers do not work well. The solution is to force a downgrade on the drivers:

• Intel Smart Sound Technology: 10.29.0.7767 (BAD) --> 10.29.0.7541 (GOOD)
  • Realtek SoundWire HW Audio Codec Device Driver: 10.0.66.191 (BAD) --> 10.0.66.187 (GOOD)

Note: Simply downloading the latest Realtek drivers from the Dell website does not fix the issue. You have to follow the steps in my post above and uninstall everything before running the Dell installer.

No Events found!