Highlighted
2 Bronze

BIOS 1.19.2 Problem

Dear All,

My laptopis  Dell Precision 5520, today I update new BIOS 1.19.2 version. After installing this BIOS, the software Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (IETU) was been disable many functions, i can not undervolt, change clock of CPU. I have never met this case in the previous BIOS 1.18.0. It is clear that new BIOS has problem.
After that I want to downgrade BIOS to version 1.18.0 but the downgrade was fail with message "Firmware Update failed"
Now, i cannot use IETU anymore. This laptop model is easy throttle power limit if we don't use IETU to decrease CPU clock.
Is there any way to fix this issue?

3.JPG

4.JPG

Thanks!

(1)
9 Replies
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi, 

I am having exactly the same issue with my XPS 9560 which was also updated on June 19th to the BIOS version 1.19.2. 

I need the computer to have capacity to perform on a demanding load level for long periods of time for my work which was possible before the update.

Please advise. 

(1)
Highlighted
2 Bronze

New update of Intel in BIOS blocked almost all functions of XTU, you can view balck list laptop in here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/black-list-adjustable-voltage-control-turbo-ratio-limits-are... Intel will not support XTU in the near future, this is really annoy for users. Dell must contact to Intel to solve this problem for users because laptop of Dell too hot without XTU.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

@Tiago_ 

You can downgrade to the old BIOS, the process can fail at ME step but there is no problem. After that you log in to BIOS, restore BIOS default and remember disable/uncheck automatic update firmware in BIOS (you can find this item somewhere in the BIOS) to avoid laptop automatic upgrade to new BIOS. Hope you downgrade successful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Could you provide more specific instructions on it? There is no option to disable automatic updates.  There is only one option to allow Downgrading which is selected. I have managed to downgrade, failed at the ME framework. Booting to windows successfully with 1.18 installed. Then at the next restart it automatically reinstall 1.19.2.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have the same problem here. After Bios upgrade I can't undervolt my laptop and idle temperature goes 5-10C degrees higher and it's near 55C degrees vs 45C with undervolting. Fans never spot now. It's very annoying.  

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'm experiencing the same problem with Dell XPS 9560. With under-voltage of 100mV I was keeping the CPU temperature at 38-40 C at decent performance (very stable) and been able to work on laptop for longer time. Now, in idle state, it is at 47-50 C. Very disappointed by this change.

Now my battery will wear much faster too (greater number of charge/discharge cycles).

Highlighted
2 Bronze

@Nikolas1 @Waxim 

I would like to say Dell has some stupid things for their design. The cooling system is bad, default Boost clock too high, thermal paste is bad, touchpad has no software to custom gestures, speaker and headphone is one device you can not switch to speaker when plug in headphone,...Now, they lock undervolt. I think in the near future users will say goodbye Dell, can not accept such stupid design for a high class and expensive laptop.

(1)
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I had doubts to buy a MacOS laptop or Dell XPS one year ago. Now I would definitely NOT buy Dell anymore.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I hope will have more laptop use 4K display come from another manufacturer. I don't think the team design touchpad of Dell such stupid. They have a very good touchpad but they don't build their own software to optimize it. And I don't understand why they combine the speaker and headphone to one device, when we use headset of mobile phone, we can switch to loud speaker without unplug the headset, this is a basic function but Dell is stupid when remove this function.

0 Kudos