Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

23 Posts

June 24th, 2020 03:00

BIOS 1.19.2 Problem

Dear All,

My laptopis  Dell Precision 5520, today I update new BIOS 1.19.2 version. After installing this BIOS, the software Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (IETU) was been disable many functions, i can not undervolt, change clock of CPU. I have never met this case in the previous BIOS 1.18.0. It is clear that new BIOS has problem.
After that I want to downgrade BIOS to version 1.18.0 but the downgrade was fail with message "Firmware Update failed"
Now, i cannot use IETU anymore. This laptop model is easy throttle power limit if we don't use IETU to decrease CPU clock.
Is there any way to fix this issue?

3.JPG

4.JPG

Thanks!

1 Message

June 29th, 2020 09:00

Hi, 

I am having exactly the same issue with my XPS 9560 which was also updated on June 19th to the BIOS version 1.19.2. 

I need the computer to have capacity to perform on a demanding load level for long periods of time for my work which was possible before the update.

Please advise. 

23 Posts

June 30th, 2020 03:00

New update of Intel in BIOS blocked almost all functions of XTU, you can view balck list laptop in here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/black-list-adjustable-voltage-control-turbo-ratio-limits-are-locked-out-due-latest-win-update-bios.831450/ Intel will not support XTU in the near future, this is really annoy for users. Dell must contact to Intel to solve this problem for users because laptop of Dell too hot without XTU.

3 Posts

July 1st, 2020 03:00

I have the same problem here. After Bios upgrade I can't undervolt my laptop and idle temperature goes 5-10C degrees higher and it's near 55C degrees vs 45C with undervolting. Fans never spot now. It's very annoying.  

2 Posts

July 6th, 2020 05:00

I'm experiencing the same problem with Dell XPS 9560. With under-voltage of 100mV I was keeping the CPU temperature at 38-40 C at decent performance (very stable) and been able to work on laptop for longer time. Now, in idle state, it is at 47-50 C. Very disappointed by this change.

Now my battery will wear much faster too (greater number of charge/discharge cycles).

23 Posts

July 9th, 2020 04:00

@Tiago_ 

You can downgrade to the old BIOS, the process can fail at ME step but there is no problem. After that you log in to BIOS, restore BIOS default and remember disable/uncheck automatic update firmware in BIOS (you can find this item somewhere in the BIOS) to avoid laptop automatic upgrade to new BIOS. Hope you downgrade successful.

23 Posts

July 9th, 2020 04:00

@Nikolas1 @Waxim 

I would like to say Dell has some stupid things for their design. The cooling system is bad, default Boost clock too high, thermal paste is bad, touchpad has no software to custom gestures, speaker and headphone is one device you can not switch to speaker when plug in headphone,...Now, they lock undervolt. I think in the near future users will say goodbye Dell, can not accept such stupid design for a high class and expensive laptop.

2 Posts

July 9th, 2020 09:00

I had doubts to buy a MacOS laptop or Dell XPS one year ago. Now I would definitely NOT buy Dell anymore.

23 Posts

July 9th, 2020 11:00

I hope will have more laptop use 4K display come from another manufacturer. I don't think the team design touchpad of Dell such stupid. They have a very good touchpad but they don't build their own software to optimize it. And I don't understand why they combine the speaker and headphone to one device, when we use headset of mobile phone, we can switch to loud speaker without unplug the headset, this is a basic function but Dell is stupid when remove this function.

1 Message

July 11th, 2020 21:00

Could you provide more specific instructions on it? There is no option to disable automatic updates.  There is only one option to allow Downgrading which is selected. I have managed to downgrade, failed at the ME framework. Booting to windows successfully with 1.18 installed. Then at the next restart it automatically reinstall 1.19.2.

11 Posts

July 24th, 2020 11:00

Same problem. Can't downgrade to 1.18. ME firmware fails to downgrade, and then the flashing process fails because the ME fails to flash. It reverts to 1.19.2 every time. Dell, we need this. Our laptops are trash without undervolting! You've just made my laptop go back in time ~3 Intel processor generations in terms of heat/fans/battery life/performance. It's abysmal.

11 Posts

July 29th, 2020 08:00

DELL! ANSWER THIS PROBLEM! We bought expensive laptops, you broke them, and you owe us support for the ability to downgrade BIOS back to a functional BIOS! ANSWER THIS THREAD WITH SOMETHING THOUGHTFUL AND USEFUL ASAP

3 Posts

August 1st, 2020 10:00

Once again.  I bought with laptop as a working machine for 3d cad modeling and rendering. i7 and 1050 (xps 15 9650 fHD) should be enough for my purpose. I have read a lot of negative recalls about sound cracking, battery touchpad popping up, low battery life, power throttling issues, bad chassis assemblies.I thought that it's average defects and do not come often with every single laptop and 2 years warranty would cover everything.

So I bought XPS the most (more or less) expansive laptop on the market.  Next 2 years I attended warranty center about 5 or 6 times and my laptop spent over 2 month in warranty center. I replaced mother board twice! First one just burned out and the other came with non working hdmi port from dealer. Are you kidding me???? I had battery bloating after with touchpad popping up first year of usage and warranty did not cover this issue.... just like sound cracking and power throttling ... warranty can not fix this. 

After bios upgrade cpu core frequency, temperature and utilization goes mad. At the moment I render some 3d stuff and power throttling goes unpredictable. For now laptop running average 2.6 Ghz or even 1.4 Ghz (3.67 Ghz before bios upgrade) and can easily goes down to 0.8ghz for indefinite time. As soon as gpu has 0% load and temperature goes 72° C it's odd... I paid my money for i7 3.67 Ghz not for 2.6 Ghz. Dell power manager do nothing and can't fix this.

Seems like it's some dell drivers can't manipulate temperature well and just cut clock speed hardly. It's totally wrong as soon as fans speed rarely goes max. Whats about gaming and power throttling. Power throttling never ends. It's stupid. After 15 mins CPU speed goes 0.8 Ghz and stuck at this point for a long time. And clock speed won't come up even after fans goes slow and the temperate low. What a??

For now Dell stole my money. The lap top does not correspond to the declared secification. For that price I should open supportassist press one button and forget about all the problems.  I guess XPS community should make a petition and get the money back or dell should finally test their products and handle to make theme working well.

1 Message

August 6th, 2020 00:00

Hi, I can't do the update. I rebooted my laptop several times but the installation always fails. I need to update an app and each time I run the .exe I'm told to upgrade the firmware

No Events found!