jbipo
1 Copper

BIOS Update bricked my XPS 9530

Last night Dell Support Assist told me I needed to update my BIOS, and like a fool I allowed it.  I went to bed, and expected it to be all done by morning, but instead the screen had gone black and the fans were just running, but nothing else was responsive. No matter how long I held the power key down, it would not turn off. I had a class to attend, so I just unplugged the power so the battery would run down.  When I got back it was off, but would not turn on. Nothing. No light on the power button.  I tried various things including opening it up, removing the battery and draining the residual charge, then plugging back in.

Up until then the machine was running fine, and I can only assume the BIOS update messed up and so now it won't even recognise the power button.

I am pretty disillusioned and after buying almost exclusively from Dell for over 20 YEARS, I feel a bit betrayed.

I'd love some help, but even though this is Dell's fault, they'll charge me even just for advice because it's out of warranty.

I really feel like companies like Dell should take some responsibility for their faulty software when it bricks someone's machine, but they don't.

3 Replies
AaronM88
1 Copper

Re: BIOS Update bricked my XPS 9530

The exact same experience here on the same night!  I'm sending mine to be diagnosed and quoted on repair.

If Dell doesn't offer me something to help with this I will not be purchasing another dell product in the future.

polar351
1 Copper

Same problem in my latitude. But laptop still works (won't turn on the first time, can be included for the tenth time) Dell does not answer my questions about this.

0 Kudos
angelcervera
1 Copper

Same problem here. The result of the laptop has been horrible. The first 6 months, the technical service opened it 4 times to replace components. Always cooling problems, electric shocks and a lot of noise. And now, bricked.

I bought this laptop as a top line laptop but actually it has been the worst ever.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos